that which is contrary to the principles of justice or law
"he feels that you are in the wrong"
right, rightfulness, precise, correct, proper, ethical, functioning, straight, word-perfect, accurate, appropriate, letter-perfect, opportune, honourable, honorable, outside, right-minded, exact, redress, compensate
wrong, legal injury, damage(adj)
any harm or injury resulting from a violation of a legal right
rightfulness, right, outside, honorable, functioning, letter-perfect, right-minded, honourable, accurate, opportune, proper, word-perfect, exact, correct, straight, appropriate, ethical, precise, compensate, redress
not correct; not in conformity with fact or truth
"an incorrect calculation"; "the report in the paper is wrong"; "your information is wrong"; "the clock showed the wrong time"; "found themselves on the wrong road"; "based on the wrong assumptions"
right, rightfulness, letter-perfect, opportune, proper, appropriate, outside, right-minded, exact, honorable, word-perfect, correct, straight, accurate, ethical, functioning, precise, honourable, redress, compensate
contrary to conscience or morality or law
"it is wrong for the rich to take advantage of the poor"; "cheating is wrong"; "it is wrong to lie"
rightfulness, right, functioning, appropriate, correct, word-perfect, honorable, accurate, opportune, honourable, letter-perfect, straight, exact, ethical, outside, precise, proper, right-minded, redress, compensate
not appropriate for a purpose or occasion
"said all the wrong things"
right, rightfulness, functioning, accurate, honourable, precise, correct, letter-perfect, right-minded, proper, outside, straight, exact, word-perfect, ethical, honorable, appropriate, opportune, redress, compensate
amiss(p), awry(p), haywire, wrong(p)(adj)
not functioning properly
"something is amiss"; "has gone completely haywire"; "something is wrong with the engine"
right, rightfulness, accurate, appropriate, precise, proper, word-perfect, straight, letter-perfect, correct, honourable, outside, opportune, right-minded, exact, ethical, honorable, functioning, redress, compensate
based on or acting or judging in error
"it is wrong to think that way"
rightfulness, right, accurate, correct, opportune, letter-perfect, appropriate, exact, ethical, straight, honourable, outside, precise, proper, functioning, word-perfect, right-minded, honorable, compensate, redress
not in accord with established usage or procedure
"the wrong medicine"; "the wrong way to shuck clams"; "it is incorrect for a policeman to accept gifts"
rightfulness, right, accurate, precise, correct, proper, opportune, letter-perfect, honorable, word-perfect, ethical, appropriate, straight, functioning, honourable, exact, outside, right-minded, compensate, redress
used of the side of cloth or clothing intended to face inward
"socks worn wrong side out"
right, rightfulness, functioning, proper, outside, correct, honorable, opportune, accurate, appropriate, exact, precise, letter-perfect, word-perfect, straight, honourable, ethical, right-minded, redress, compensate
ill-timed, unseasonable, untimely, wrong(adj)
"an ill-timed intervention"; "you think my intrusion unseasonable"; "an untimely remark"; "it was the wrong moment for a joke"
right, rightfulness, right-minded, appropriate, proper, correct, accurate, honourable, functioning, honorable, letter-perfect, ethical, precise, straight, outside, word-perfect, opportune, exact, redress, compensate
faulty, incorrect, wrong(verb)
characterized by errors; not agreeing with a model or not following established rules
"he submitted a faulty report"; "an incorrect transcription"; the wrong side of the road"
rightfulness, right, ethical, opportune, precise, right-minded, correct, honourable, appropriate, honorable, accurate, proper, functioning, letter-perfect, straight, exact, word-perfect, outside, compensate, redress
treat unjustly; do wrong to
right, rightfulness, exact, straight, correct, letter-perfect, precise, outside, accurate, opportune, functioning, appropriate, right-minded, honorable, word-perfect, honourable, ethical, proper, compensate, redress
incorrectly, wrongly, wrong(adverb)
in an inaccurate manner
"he decided to reveal the details only after other sources had reported them incorrectly"; "she guessed wrong"
right, rightfulness, precise, opportune, accurate, correct, exact, proper, honorable, appropriate, outside, right-minded, honourable, straight, functioning, word-perfect, ethical, letter-perfect, redress, compensate
wrong(noun)The incorrect or unjust position or opinion.
wrong(noun)The opposite of right; the concept of badness.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Abuse covers all unreasonable or improper use or treatment by word or act. A tenant does not abuse rented property by "reasonable wear," though that may damage the property and injure its sale; he may abuse it by needless defacement or neglect. It is possible to abuse a man without harming him, as when the criminal vituperates the judge; or to harm a man without abusing him, as when the witness tells the truth about the criminal. Defame, malign, rail at, revile, slander, vilify, and vituperate are used always in a bad sense. One may be justly reproached. To impose on or to victimize one is to injure him by abusing his confidence. To persecute one is to ill-treat him for opinion's sake, commonly for religious belief; to oppress is generally for political or pecuniary motives. "Thou shalt not oppress an hired servant that is poor and needy," Deut. xxiv, 14. Misemploy, misuse, and pervert are commonly applied to objects rather than to persons. A dissolute youth misemploys his time, misuses his money and opportunities, harms his associates, perverts his talents, wrongs his parents, ruins himself, abuses every good gift of God.
abuse, aggrieve, damage, defame, defile, disparage, harm, ill-treat, ill-use, impose on, impose upon, injure, malign, maltreat, misemploy, misuse, molest, oppress, persecute, pervert, prostitute, rail at, ravish, reproach, revile, ruin, slander, victimize, vilify, violate, vituperate
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
bad, mistaken, incorrect, erroneous, false, misguided, wrongly, evil, poorly, incorrectly, flawed, poor, badly, improper, fake, hurt, inaccurate, inappropriate, error, untrue, improperly, harm, awry, mistake, ill, mistakenly, amiss, faulty, unfair, crooked, erroneously, wrongfully, unjust, inappropriately, n't, problem
How to pronounce wrong?See more »
How to say wrong in sign language?
Translations for wrong
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- nesprávný, špatný, chybný, špatně, křivditCzech
- unrecht, verkehrt, ungerecht, schlecht, falsch, unfairGerman
- ακατάλληλος, λάθος, πλανώμαι, εσφαλμένος, στραβός, απατώμαι, κάνω λάθος, ανάποδος, λανθασμένος, στραβά, αδίκημα, αδικώ, κακό, κρίμα, βλάπτωGreek
- incorrecto, falso, equivocado, malo, crimenSpanish
- väärä, sopimaton, huono, vika, nurja, tehdä vääryyttä, vääryys, tehdä väärin, väärin, väärinteko, virheFinnish
- impropre, immoral, mauvais, mal, tort, faux, incorrect, crime, nuire, léserFrench
- ceàrr, eucoir, coireScottish Gaelic
- לא נכוןHebrew
- अशुद्ध, ग़लत, गलतHindi
- վատ, սխալArmenian
- illicite, improprie, immoral, erronee, a torto, mal, incorrecte, erroneemente, incorrectementeInterlingua
- keliru, salahIndonesian
- vera að, ósiðlegur, ósiðsamur, rangur, hafa á röngu að standa, óréttur, siðferðilega rangur, ranglátur, hafa rangt fyrir sér, kolvitlaust, beita ranglæti, rangt, gera rangt til, vitlaustIcelandic
- erroneo, sbagliato, scorretto, errato, tortoItalian
- よくない, 具合が悪くて, 悪い, 故障で, 不適当な, 不適切な, 調子が狂って, 違う, 間違う, 誤る, 間違いましたJapanese
- neprideramas, nedorovingas, amoralus, nesąžiningas, nepadorus, nedoras, nemoralus, blogas, sugedęs, neteisingas, nedirbantis, neveikiantis, netinkamas, nekorektiškas, klaidingasLithuanian
- fout, verkeerd, mis, slecht, onjuist, onrecht doen, aandoen, misstand, wantoestand, foutief, kwaad, onbillijk beoordelen, onrechtmatige daad, verkeerde, benadelen, onrechtDutch
- gal, uriktig, feil, galt, vrangNorwegian
- niewłaściwy, mylny, błędny, źlePolish
- impróprio, inadequado, errado, imoral, equivocado, incorreto, avesso, injustiçar, incorretamente, injúria, erroneamente, maltratar, erradamente, mal, erroPortuguese
- incorect, greșitRomanian
- неправый, неверный, ошибочный, неправильный, неправильно, не такRussian
- kriv, pogrješan, neispravanSerbo-Croatian
- fel, inkorrekt, felaktigSwedish
- సరికాని, తప్పు, తప్పుడుTelugu
- yanlış, yersiz, uygunsuz, hatalı, bozuk, ahlaksız, kötüTurkish
- không tốt, không đúng, xấu, saiVietnamese
Get even more translations for wrong »
Find a translation for the wrong synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)