the people or companies engaged in a particular kind of commercial enterprise
"each industry has its own trade publications"
the organized action of making of goods and services for sale
"American industry is making increased use of computers to control production"
diligence, industriousness, industry(noun)
persevering determination to perform a task
"his diligence won him quick promotions"; "frugality and industry are still regarded as virtues"
The tendency to work persistently.
Over the years, their industry and business sense made them wealthy.
Businesses of the same type, considered as a whole.
Businesses that produce goods as opposed to services.
There used to be a lot of industry around here, but now the economy depends on tourism.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Industry is the quality, action, or habit of earnest, steady, and continued attention or devotion to any useful or productive work or task, manual or mental. Assiduity (Latin ad, to, and sedeo, sit), as the etymology suggests, sits down to a task until it is done. Diligence (Latin diligo, love, choose) invests more effort and exertion, with love of the work or deep interest in its accomplishment; application (Latin ad, to, and plico, fold) bends to its work and concentrates all one's powers upon it with utmost intensity; hence, application can hardly be as unremitting as assiduity. Constancy is a steady devotion of heart and principle. Patience works on in spite of annoyances; perseverance overcomes hindrances and difficulties; persistence strives relentlessly against opposition; persistence has very frequently an unfavorable meaning, implying that one persists in spite of considerations that should induce him to desist. Industry is diligence applied to some avocation, business, or profession. Labor and pains refer to the exertions of the worker and the tax upon him, while assiduity, perseverance, etc., refer to his continuance in the work.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use industry in a sentence?
I see the industry consolidating over the next 10 years to the point where you have a group of very, very large players, not much in the middle, and a bunch of niche players.
State Street is a notable laggard in adviser support, given State Street’s scale and first mover advantage as an ETF pioneer, they have abysmal adviser support. It's almost a laughing matter in the industry.
Not in light of today, but because of prevalent attacks in the industry, The China-based hackers have redoubled The China-based hackers efforts and brought in more cyber security experts to investigate and defend The China-based hackers systems.
They [the government] recognize that artificial intelligence will be a key to the future, or the key to the competitiveness of the industry.
This was primarily driven by reductions in leverage, strategic adjustments in the bank's business and geographic perimeter and lower derivative volumes, together with wider industry developments.
Translations for industry
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- егәрлелек, сәнәғәт, тырышлыҡ, эшсәнлекBashkir
- інду́стрыя, прамысло́васцьBelarusian
- проми́шленост, инду́стрияBulgarian
- přičinlivost, pracovitost, branže, píle, průmyslCzech
- Industrie, Branche, BestrebenGerman
- βιομηχανία, εργατικότηταGreek
- tööstus, majandusharu, valdkondEstonian
- teollisuus, ala, toimiala, ahkeruus, teollisuudenalaFinnish
- tionscal, tábhachtIrish
- ketekunan, industriIndonesian
- 産業, 業界Japanese
- өнеркәсіп, индустрияKazakh
- ឧស្សាហៈ, ឧស្សាហកម្មKhmer
- 근면, 공업, 產業, 工業, 산업, 성실Korean
- индустрия, өнөр жайKyrgyz
- pramonė, industrija, darbštumasLithuanian
- strādīgums, industrija, rūpniecībaLatvian
- трудољубивост, индустрија, дејностMacedonian
- аж үйлдвэрMongolian
- ကုန်ထုတ်လုပ်ငန်း, စက်မှုလက်မှုBurmese
- sector, werklust, nijverheid, industrieDutch
- industriNorwegian Nynorsk
- industriosidade, indústriaPortuguese
- industrie, branșă industrialăRomanian
- усе́рдие, индустрия, приле́жность, промышленность, про́мысел, прилежа́ние, о́трасль, стара́тельность, трудолю́биеRussian
- industrija, индустријаSerbo-Croatian
- උද්යෝගයSinhala, Sinhalese
- industri, gren, branschSwedish
- senagat, industriýaTurkmen
- інду́стрія, промисло́вістьUkrainian
- industriya, sanoatUzbek
- công nghiệp, 工業Vietnamese
Get even more translations for industry »
Find a translation for the industry synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)