the people or companies engaged in a particular kind of commercial enterprise
"each industry has its own trade publications"
the organized action of making of goods and services for sale
"American industry is making increased use of computers to control production"
diligence, industriousness, industry(noun)
persevering determination to perform a task
"his diligence won him quick promotions"; "frugality and industry are still regarded as virtues"
The tendency to work persistently.
Over the years, their industry and business sense made them wealthy.
Businesses of the same type, considered as a whole.
Businesses that produce goods as opposed to services.
There used to be a lot of industry around here, but now the economy depends on tourism.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Industry is the quality, action, or habit of earnest, steady, and continued attention or devotion to any useful or productive work or task, manual or mental. Assiduity (Latin ad, to, and sedeo, sit), as the etymology suggests, sits down to a task until it is done. Diligence (Latin diligo, love, choose) invests more effort and exertion, with love of the work or deep interest in its accomplishment; application (Latin ad, to, and plico, fold) bends to its work and concentrates all one's powers upon it with utmost intensity; hence, application can hardly be as unremitting as assiduity. Constancy is a steady devotion of heart and principle. Patience works on in spite of annoyances; perseverance overcomes hindrances and difficulties; persistence strives relentlessly against opposition; persistence has very frequently an unfavorable meaning, implying that one persists in spite of considerations that should induce him to desist. Industry is diligence applied to some avocation, business, or profession. Labor and pains refer to the exertions of the worker and the tax upon him, while assiduity, perseverance, etc., refer to his continuance in the work.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use industry in a sentence?
We are determined to ensure that the Australian agricultural industry's future in China is as bright as our mining future.
The merger would have resulted in a 4 to 3 (major industry players) scenario that often attracts substantial scrutiny by the EC (Commission). Interestingly, TNT's subsequent acquisition by FedEx was cleared unconditionally. Comparing these two scenarios offers an interesting insight into which cases fall across the prohibition line and which don't.
We can only go so far ourselves as an industry. States have an important role to play.
To return to industry growth rates, we believe eBay has to go beyond restructuring a product that is lower value than its core competition...
If there's a change of government ... we think 50% of the industry will go into underwriting loss, it will definitely make life harder for all of us, but it will make it intolerable, I think, for some of the smaller and medium-sized players that don't have the scale.
Translations for industry
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- егәрлелек, сәнәғәт, тырышлыҡ, эшсәнлекBashkir
- інду́стрыя, прамысло́васцьBelarusian
- проми́шленост, инду́стрияBulgarian
- přičinlivost, pracovitost, branže, píle, průmyslCzech
- Industrie, Branche, BestrebenGerman
- βιομηχανία, εργατικότηταGreek
- tööstus, majandusharu, valdkondEstonian
- teollisuus, ala, toimiala, ahkeruus, teollisuudenalaFinnish
- tionscal, tábhachtIrish
- ketekunan, industriIndonesian
- 産業, 業界Japanese
- өнеркәсіп, индустрияKazakh
- ឧស្សាហៈ, ឧស្សាហកម្មKhmer
- 근면, 공업, 產業, 工業, 산업, 성실Korean
- индустрия, өнөр жайKyrgyz
- pramonė, industrija, darbštumasLithuanian
- strādīgums, industrija, rūpniecībaLatvian
- трудољубивост, индустрија, дејностMacedonian
- аж үйлдвэрMongolian
- ကုန်ထုတ်လုပ်ငန်း, စက်မှုလက်မှုBurmese
- sector, werklust, nijverheid, industrieDutch
- industriNorwegian Nynorsk
- industriosidade, indústriaPortuguese
- industrie, branșă industrialăRomanian
- усе́рдие, индустрия, приле́жность, промышленность, про́мысел, прилежа́ние, о́трасль, стара́тельность, трудолю́биеRussian
- industrija, индустријаSerbo-Croatian
- උද්යෝගයSinhala, Sinhalese
- industri, gren, branschSwedish
- senagat, industriýaTurkmen
- інду́стрія, промисло́вістьUkrainian
- industriya, sanoatUzbek
- công nghiệp, 工業Vietnamese
Get even more translations for industry »
Find a translation for the industry synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)