Synonyms for sparrow
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term sparrow.
The house sparrow, Passer domesticus; a small bird with a short bill, and brown, white and gray feathers.
A member of the family Passeridae, comprising small Old World songbirds.
A member of the family Emberizidae, comprising small New World songbirds.
Generically, any small, nondescript bird.
A quick-witted, lively person. Often used in the phrase cockney sparrow.
Words popularity by usage frequency
I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.
Happy is the person who not only sings, but feels God's eye is on the sparrow, and knows He watches over me. To be simply ensconced in God is true joy.
I saw a courtroom packed full of Captain Jack Sparrow fans who were vocal, energized. This was the most humiliating and horrible thing I’ve ever been through. I’ve never felt more removed from my own humanity. I felt less than human.
Cosmic upheaval is not so moving as a little child pondering the death of a sparrow in the corner of a barn.
Some things are rushing into existence, others out of it. Some of what now exists is already gone. Change and flux constantly remake the world, just as the incessant progression of time remakes eternity. We find ourselves in a river. Which of the things around us should we value when none of them can offer a firm foothold? Like an attachment to a sparrow: we glimpse it and it’s gone.
Translations for sparrow
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- دوري, عصفورArabic
- pardal comú, pardalCatalan, Valencian
- aderyn y to, aderynWelsh
- gråspurv, spurvDanish
- Spatz, Sperling, HaussperlingGerman
- πασσερίδες, σπιτοσπουργίτιGreek
- gorrión, pájaro, gorrión común, paséridoSpanish
- varblane, koduvarblaneEstonian
- pikkulintu, varpunen, sirkkuFinnish
- spurv, spurvur, gráspurvurFaroese
- moineau franc, bruant, piaf, moineau domestique, moineauFrench
- gealbhan binne, gealbhanIrish
- gealbhonnScottish Gaelic
- דרור, דרור הביתHebrew
- veréb, sármány, házi verébHungarian
- դրախտապան, ճնճղուկ, ճնճղուկ տնայինArmenian
- burung gerejaIndonesian
- 雀, スズメJapanese
- għasfur tal-bejtMaltese
- huismus, gors, musDutch
- gråsporvNorwegian Nynorsk
- gråspurv, spurvNorwegian
- tsídiiłbáhíNavajo, Navaho
- ଘର ଚଟିଆOriya
- wróbel, trznadelPolish
- pardal-doméstico, pardal, escrevedeira, passarinhoPortuguese
- pasler, ghirschùn, pasler da chasaRomansh
- воробей, воробей обыкновенныйRussian
- Sparv, gråsparvSwedish
- chim sẻVietnamese
- spärül, hispär, hispärül, jispär, spär, jispärülVolapük
Get even more translations for sparrow »
Find a translation for the sparrow synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"sparrow." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 29 Jan. 2023. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/sparrow>.