Synonyms for spur
This thesaurus page includes all potential synonyms, words with the same meaning and similar terms for the word spur.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms0.0 / 0 votes
Princeton's WordNet0.0 / 0 votes
goad, goading, prod, prodding, urging, spur, spurringnoun
a verbalization that encourages you to attempt something
"the ceaseless prodding got on his nerves"
spur, spine, acanthanoun
any sharply pointed projection
gad, prod, sticker, spikelet, goading, urging, prickle, pricker, spine, thorn, spurring, spinal column, back, branch line, backbone, acantha, spur track, rachis, prodding, goad, vertebral column
tubular extension at the base of the corolla in some flowers
a sharp prod fixed to a rider's heel and used to urge a horse onward
"cowboys know not to squat with their spurs on"
branch line, spur track, spurverb
a railway line connected to a trunk line
incite or stimulate
"The Academy was formed to spur research"
give heart or courage to
strike with a spur
goad with spurs
"the rider spurred his horse"
equip with spurs
anything that pushes someone or something forward
her mother's motivational talk spurred her daughter to endure high school.Submitted by rinat on June 1, 2017
Dictionary of English Synonymes0.0 / 0 votes
prick (with the spur)
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words0.0 / 0 votes
What does SPUR stand for? -- Explore the various meanings for the SPUR acronym on the Abbreviations.com website.
Words popularity by usage frequency
The central bank needs more monetary easing measures to spur growth.
Her reality should spur a serious debate as to the risks to health and life such abortion laws have.
Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for.
Good and evil, reward and punishment, are the only motives to a rational creature: these are the spur and reins whereby all mankind are set on work, and guided.
Avarice, the spur of industry.
Translations for spur
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- esperonar, esperóCatalan, Valencian
- Sporn, anspornen, AnspornGerman
- sproni, spronoEsperanto
- prolongación, conexión, espolonear, acicate, incentivar, incitar, motivar, alcurnia, espuela, incentivo, animar, espolear, espolón, acicatear, extensión, estimularSpanish
- kannustaa, yllyttää, kannustin, kannusFinnish
- éperon, éperonner, ergotFrench
- sprono, diramazione, stimolare, incitare, pungolare, sporgenza, montare gli speroni, incoraggiare, sperone, instigare, propaggini, protuberanza, spronare, divaricazioneItalian
- 拍車をかける, 行動, 刺激, 突く, 拍車Japanese
- kipa, taumutuMāori
- taji, pacuMalay
- aansporen, bewegen, spoor, aanmoedigenDutch
- estimular, provocar, espora, instigarPortuguese
- подгонять, шпора, корень, побуждать, стимул, пришпорить, отрог, пришпориватьRussian
- mamuza, оструга, мамуза, ostrugaSerbo-Croatian
- sporre, sporraSwedish
- تمباکو نوشیUrdu
Get even more translations for spur »
Find a translation for the spur synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"spur." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 5 Dec. 2023. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/spur>.