a stick that people can lean on to help them walk
a strong slender often flexible stem as of bamboos, reeds, rattans, or sugar cane
a stiff switch used to hit students as punishment
cane, flog, lambaste, lambast(verb)
beat with a cane
scold, strap, trounce, welt, lambast, bawl out, reproof, dress down, slash, chew out, chide, lecture, have words, call down, take to task, lambaste, call on the carpet, rebuke, jaw, lather, whip, reprimand, lash, flog, remonstrate, rag, berate, chew up
To do something well, in a competent fashion.
Don't hit me with that: it really canes!
Corporal punishment by beating with a cane; the cane.
The teacher gave his student the cane for throwing paper.
A strong short staff used for support or decoration during walking; a walking stick.
After breaking his leg, he needed a cane to walk.
A long rod often collapsible and commonly white (for visibility to other persons), used by blind persons for guidance in determining their course and for probing for obstacles in their path.
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use cane in a sentence?
Running on the soccer pitch wasn’t too difficult, the hardest thing about it was getting to it. One day, they planted trees between my house and the pitch. I usually went there without my cane, and I bumped into a tree.
The incident is under review and the allegations have been referred to our Internal Affairs Bureau, additionally, this individual was arrested with two others for assaulting another identified person with a cane.
I thought I would dress in baggy pants, big shoes, a cane and a derby hat. everything a contradiction: the pants baggy, the coat tight, the hat small and the shoes large.
I still struggle walking on a daily basis and have started using a cane to help me get around.
It could be good for cane plantations, but not so good for coffee.
Translations for cane
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- бой с пръчка, тръстика, бастун, пръчка, бия с пръчкаBulgarian
- canyaCatalan, Valencian
- Rohrstock, Rohr, Blindenstock, weisser LangstockGerman
- kano, promenbastono, vergo, blindulbastono, promenkanoEsperanto
- caña, bastón, bastón blancoSpanish
- ruoko, keppi, valkoinen keppi, korsi, [[antaa]] [[keppiä]]Finnish
- canne, tige, canne blanche, bastonnade, bâtonnerFrench
- vara, cana, canavela, bastón, canivela, canaveira, vareadaGalician
- מקל, קנה, מלקותHebrew
- եղեգ, փայտ, փայտով ծեծելArmenian
- bastono, bastonagarIdo
- bastonata, canna, bastone per ciechi, bacchetta, canna da zucchero, bastone, giunco, canna di bambu, verga, battereItalian
- あし, 杖, 蘆, よしJapanese
- 줄기, 갈대, 매, 蘆, 대, 갈Korean
- стап, трска, прачка, шибаMacedonian
- बेताची काठीMarathi
- riet, stok, blindenstok, roe, rietstok, [[stokslagen]] [[geven]], afranselenDutch
- lókʼaatsoh, ákaz łikaní, dáʼákaz łikaníNavajo, Navaho
- chibata, bengala, vergasta, cana, chibateamento, colmo, chibatear, vergastar, chibatarPortuguese
- baston, tijăRomanian
- удар розгами, трость, тростник, розга, удар палкой, па́лка, прут, [[бить]] [[палкаRussian
- ufito, kiboko, mmea, fimboSwahili
Get even more translations for cane »
Find a translation for the cane synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)