the process of gradually becoming inferior
a gradual decrease; as of stored charge or current
the organic phenomenon of rotting
an inferior state resulting from the process of decaying
"the corpse was in an advanced state of decay"; "the house had fallen into a serious state of decay and disrepair"
decay, radioactive decay, disintegration(verb)
the spontaneous disintegration of a radioactive substance along with the emission of ionizing radiation
disintegrate, decay, decompose(verb)
lose a stored charge, magnetic flux, or current
"the particles disintegrated during the nuclear fission process"
decay, crumble, dilapidate(verb)
fall into decay or ruin
"The unoccupied house started to decay"
undergo decay or decomposition
"The body started to decay and needed to be cremated"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Rot is a strong word, ordinarily esteemed coarse, but on occasion capable of approved emphatic use; as, "the name of the wicked shall rot," Prov. x, 7; decay and decompose are now common euphemisms. A substance is decomposed when resolved into its original elements by any process; it is decayed when resolved into its original elements by natural processes; it decays gradually, but may be instantly decomposed, as water into oxygen and hydrogen; to say that a thing is decayed may denote only a partial result, but to say it is decomposed ordinarily implies that the change is complete or nearly so. Putrefy and the adjectives putrid and putrescent, and the nouns putridity and putrescence, are used almost exclusively of animal matter in a state of decomposition, the more general word decay being used of either animal or vegetable substances.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use decay in a sentence?
Corruption is not a cultural phenomenon but it is the result of a political regime in decay. We are absolutely certain that this evil is the principal cause of social inequality and of economic inequality, because of corruption, violence has erupted in our country.
All human things are subject to decay, and when fate summons, monarchs must obey.
The failure of the mind in old age is often less the results of natural decay, than of disuse. Ambition has ceased to operate; contentment bring indolence, and indolence decay of mental power, ennui, and sometimes death. Men have been known to die, literally speaking, of disease induced by intellectual vacancy.
How absolute and omnipotent is the silence of the night! And yet the stillness seems almost audible. From all the measureless depths of air around us comes a half sound, a half whisper, as if we could hear the crumbling and falling away of the earth and all created things in the great miracle of nature?decay and reproduction?ever beginning, never ending?the gradual lapse and running of the sand in the great hour-glass of Time.
The means the D0 and the anti-D0 dont decay at the same rate, and thats what we call CP violation.
Translations for decay
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- تضعضع, تحلل, اضمحلArabic
- влошаване, гния, загнивам, разлагам се, развалям се, разлаганеBulgarian
- rozklad, rozkládat se, hniloba, hnítCzech
- Verwesung, verfallen, verfaulen, verrotten, verderben, verwesen, Verfall, faulen, abklingen, zerfallen, vermodernGerman
- deteriorar, pudrirSpanish
- lahoaminen, rapautuminen, heikentyä, rapautua, maatua, mädäntyä, laho, heikkeneminen, rappeutua, heiketä, pilaantua, lahotaFinnish
- décrépitude, pourrirFrench
- meathlaigh, meath, meathlúIrish
- crìonadh, mùthadhScottish Gaelic
- szuvasodik, elmállik, romlás, elpusztul, tönkremegy, hanyatlás, pusztulás, korhad, rothadHungarian
- փտել, փչանալArmenian
- ლპობა, ხრწნა, გაფუჭებაGeorgian
- taimate, hanehaneMāori
- in verval raken, verloederen, slecht worden, vervallen, verrottenDutch
- gnić, rozkładPolish
- putrefação, decompor-se, apodrecer, estragar, deterioração, apodrecimento, decomposição, deteriorar, putrefazerPortuguese
- гнить, разложение, гниение, упадок, портиться, ухудшаться, разлагаться, распад, спадRussian
- sönderfall, sönderfalla, förfalla, ruttna, förfall, förruttnelse, mattas, försämras, sönderdelas, tackla avSwedish
- çürümek, fenalaşmakTurkish
Get even more translations for decay »
Find a translation for the decay synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)