English Synonyms and Antonyms
A bar is a piece of wood or metal, usually of considerable size, by which an opening is obstructed, a door held fast, etc. A bar may be movable or permanent; a bolt is a movable rod or pin of metal, sliding in a socket and adapted for securing a door or window. A lock is an arrangement by which an enclosed bolt is shot forward or backward by a key, or other device; the bolt is the essential part of the lock. A latch or catch is an accessible fastening designed to be easily movable, and simply to secure against accidental opening of the door, cover, etc. A hasp is a metallic strap that fits over a staple, calculated to be secured by a padlock; a simple hook that fits into a staple is also called a hasp. A clasp is a fastening that can be sprung into place, to draw and hold the parts of some enclosing object firmly together, as the clasp of a book.
thunderbolt, bolt, bolt of lightningnoun
a discharge of lightning accompanied by thunder
a sliding bar in a breech-loading firearm that ejects an empty cartridge and replaces it and closes the breech
the part of a lock that is engaged or withdrawn with a key
the act of moving with great haste
"he made a dash for the door"
a roll of cloth or wallpaper of a definite length
a screw that screws into a nut to form a fastener
a sudden abandonment (as from a political party)
move or jump suddenly
"She bolted from her seat"
secure or lock with a bolt
"bolt the door"
abscond, bolt, absquatulate, decamp, run off, go off, make offverb
run away; usually includes taking something or somebody along
"The thief made off with our silver"; "the accountant absconded with the cash from the safe"
beetle off, waste, absquatulate, come off, xerox, break camp, decamp, gobble, chase away, photocopy, go over, vamoose, implode, run off, drive out, discharge, run out, make off, bolt out, drive off, abscond, drive away, skip, dispel, elope, go off, fire, turn back
run off, run out, bolt, bolt out, beetle offverb
leave suddenly and as if in a hurry
"The listeners bolted when he discussed his strange ideas"; "When she started to tell silly stories, I ran out"
beetle off, waste, absquatulate, decamp, photocopy, chase away, peter out, gobble, run off, poop out, drive out, run down, spill, run out, make off, fail, bolt out, drive off, abscond, expire, conk out, give out, drive away, drain, xerox, dispel, elope, go off, turn back
eat hastily without proper chewing
"Don't bolt your food!"
make or roll into bolts
rigidly, stiffly, boltadverb
in a rigid manner
"the body was rigidly erect"; "he sat bolt upright"
bang, slap, slapdash, smack, boltadverb
"he ran bang into the pole"; "ran slap into her"
a shaft sharpened at the front and with feathers or vanes at the back, shot from a bow as a weapon or for sport.
his ability to launch an arrow accurately.Submitted by JP03 on October 7, 2015
Dictionary of English Synonymes
pin (of large size)
fasten with a bolt
swallow (without chewing)
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use bolt in a sentence?
The Democratic constituency is just like a herd of cows. All you have to do is lay out enough silage and they come running. That’s why I became an operative working with Democrats. With Democrats all you have to do is make a lot of noise, lay out the hay, and be ready to use the ole cattle prod in case a few want to bolt the herd.
The way I look at it, I'm 70 years old i only have maybe 10 years left of active life. Right now I'm like Usain Bolt, the sprinter. ... And I will run very fast to accomplish this mission.
A bolt from the blue.
He, Bolt, is out of the remainder of the championship on medical exemption.
He knows what it takes to be at the top of his game, when the world championships come around I am expecting to go out there and see the Bolt of old.
Translations for bolt
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- болт, шру́баBelarusian
- хуквам, мълния, закрепвам с болт, резе, мандало, болт, офейквам, топ, залоствамBulgarian
- llampecCatalan, Valencian
- Riegel, Bolzen, Ballen, SchraubeGerman
- αμπαρώνω, κλείστρο, σύρτηςGreek
- tranca, tornillo, trancar, atornillar, virote, cerrojo, pernoSpanish
- vasama, salpa, rynnätä, venähtää, teljetä, rulla, paali, karata, pakka, pultti, paeta, pultata, salama, lukko, telki, salvataFinnish
- boulon, boulonner, carreau, monter, verrou, monter en graineFrench
- בורג, הבריגHebrew
- villám, retesz, elreteszel, csavaroz, tolózár, csavarHungarian
- glutegar, riglagarIdo
- sprangare, chiavistello, scappare, serrare, bulloneItalian
- whakarawa, horopeta, whaowiriMāori
- pijl, grendel, bout, rol, schichtDutch
- bolt, sluttstykkeNorwegian
- bełt, rygiel, ryglować, grom, zasuwka, piorun, zasuwaPolish
- tranca, trinco, trancar, rolo, virote, aparafusar, relâmpago, barra, ferrolho, parafusoPortuguese
- рулон, затвор, задвижка, винт, засов, болт, молнияRussian
- reza, šip, bala, strelka, čivija, zavrtanj, zatvarač, реза, strela, prevornica, преворница, smotakSerbo-Croatian
- západka, uzáver, skrutkaSlovak
- rulle, schappa, slutstycke, bunt, rusa, regla, kolv, fästa, skäkta, skruva, blixt, bult, regel, fly, förbinda, pil, packe, skena, vigg, låsa, låskolvSwedish
Get even more translations for bolt »
Find a translation for the bolt synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)