callous, indurate, pachydermatous(adj)
"a callous indifference to suffering"; "cold-blooded and indurate to public opinion"
calloused, callous, thickened(verb)
having calluses; having skin made tough and thick through wear
"calloused skin"; "with a workman's callous hands"
callous, cauterize, cauterise(verb)
make insensitive or callous; deaden feelings or morals
Emotionally hardened; unfeeling and indifferent to the suffering/feelings of others.
She was so callous that she could criticise a cancer patient for wearing a wig.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use callous in a sentence?
It makes you sick to your stomach, it's sickening that people who are so close to this disaster were so callous.
Encouraging the spread of an acute infectious disease in a community demonstrates a callous disregard for the health and safety of friends, family, neighbors, and unsuspecting members of the general public, a person who has contracted chickenpox can be infectious for up to 2 days before experiencing the rash that is associated with the virus.
Yet again Bear Grylls' animal killing activities are quite rightly coming under fire, it's time for TV to dump this tired routine of men charging around the wilderness dominating wildlife and killing for ratings. It shows a callous disregard for the natural world and treats animals like mere props.
The view that it is not dignified as a human to simply be kept alive by medical treatment is becoming more common, cALLOUS ABANDONMENT.
The family is the basic cell of government: it is where we are trained to believe that we are human beings or that we are chattel, it is where we are trained to see the sex and race divisions and become callous to injustice even if it is done to ourselves, to accept as biological a full system of authoritarian government.
Translations for callous
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- мазолест, безсърдечен, безчувственBulgarian
- gefühllos, verhärtet, schwielig, abgestumpftGerman
- calloso, desconsiderado, insensible, cruelSpanish
- kylmä, tunteeton, känsäinen, sydämetönFinnish
- insensible, sans-coeur, endurciFrench
- keményszívű, kérges, érzéketlen, bőrkeményedésesHungarian
- harðlyndur, harðgeðja, tilfinningalaus, fólskulegur, harðbrjósta, kaldgeðjaIcelandic
- calloso, insensibile, cinicoItalian
- ueke, utongaMāori
- hard, ongevoelig, eeltig, afgestompt, bot, gevoelloos, harteloosDutch
- мозолистый, бесчувственный, чёрствый, бездушный, бессердечныйRussian
- žuljevit, kalozan, tvrd, bezosjećajan, nemilosrdanSerbo-Croatian
- hjärtlös, känslokall, känslolösSwedish
- người vô tìnhVietnamese
Get even more translations for callous »
Find a translation for the callous synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)