single thickness of usually some homogeneous substance
"slices of hard-boiled egg on a bed of spinach"
a relatively thin sheetlike expanse or region lying over or under another
level, layer, stratum(noun)
an abstract place usually conceived as having depth
"a good actor communicates on several levels"; "a simile has at least two layers of meaning"; "the mind functions on many strata simultaneously"
a hen that lays eggs
thin structure composed of a single thickness of cells
make or form a layer
"layer the different colored sands"
A (usually) horizontal deposit; a stratum.
Layer the ribbons on top of one another to make an attractive pattern.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use layer in a sentence?
They show miniature flares across the surface of the Sun, which look like campfires that are millions of times smaller than the solar flares that we see from Earth, dotted across the surface, these small flares might play an important role in a mysterious phenomenon called coronal heating, whereby the Sun's outer layer, or corona, is more than 200 - 500 times hotter than the layers below.
This is a rare occurrence that took place because cool, damp air became trapped in the lower levels of the canyon, it was literally stuck underneath a warm layer of air just above. In the meteorological world, this is referred to as an inversion when the temperature actually warms with height (as opposed to it cooling with a rise in altitude).
That is an intelligent division of labor - let each layer of government do what it does best.
We've developed stickers for use as a thin, flexible layer of camo with the potential to take on a pattern that will better match the soldiers' infrared reflectance to their background and hide them from active infrared visualization.
We still dont know exactly whats heating the corona,but we know it has to happen in this layer.
Translations for layer
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- capaCatalan, Valencian
- Ableger, Kindel, Lage, -leger, Legehenne, schichten, Absenker, Bekleidungsschicht, SchichtGerman
- στρώση, στρώμα, καρπερή, διάστρωση, στιβάδα, καταβολεύωGreek
- capa, gallina ponedora, onedora, hijueloSpanish
- vaatekerros, laatoittaja, munituskana, kerrostaa, pinota, kerros, kerrostumaFinnish
- couche, pondeuse, marcotteFrench
- strato, ovaiolaItalian
- apa, tāpatupatuMāori
- слој, наслојка, несилка, изданок, наслојува, наслага, раслојуваMacedonian
- laag, legger, legsterDutch
- nioska, warstwa, [[układać]] [[warstwa]]miPolish
- camada, botadeiraPortuguese
- слой, пласт, укладчик, несушкаRussian
- lager, avsugare, takläggare, värphöna, skikt, sugymp, varv, golvläggare, äggläggare, stickling, skottSwedish
- పొదుగుట, పొరTelugu
Get even more translations for layer »
Find a translation for the layer synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)