single thickness of usually some homogeneous substance
"slices of hard-boiled egg on a bed of spinach"
a relatively thin sheetlike expanse or region lying over or under another
level, layer, stratum(noun)
an abstract place usually conceived as having depth
"a good actor communicates on several levels"; "a simile has at least two layers of meaning"; "the mind functions on many strata simultaneously"
a hen that lays eggs
thin structure composed of a single thickness of cells
make or form a layer
"layer the different colored sands"
A (usually) horizontal deposit; a stratum.
Layer the ribbons on top of one another to make an attractive pattern.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use layer in a sentence?
I was shocked. I had just arrived home when I looked through the window and saw the column of smoke rising up. We called our families, posted photos, we woke up today with a blanket of fog and it hasn't cleared. We have a layer of smoke above us.
The fundamental principle is that under every brown eye is a blue eye, the only difference between a brown eye and a blue eye is this very thin layer of pigment on the surface. Bright like the sky.
You want (that) to be the top layer, it's the scent you want on top.
We are trying to make a link between the high sugar content and the calories and the actual downstream outcomes [of sugary drinks]. You can say that something has 18 or 24 grams of sugar, but most people have no clue what a gram is, [Health warning labels] provide an extra layer of information that people can understand.
Life is like an onion. You peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep.
Translations for layer
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- capaCatalan, Valencian
- Ableger, Kindel, Lage, -leger, Legehenne, schichten, Absenker, Bekleidungsschicht, SchichtGerman
- στρώση, στρώμα, καρπερή, διάστρωση, στιβάδα, καταβολεύωGreek
- capa, gallina ponedora, onedora, hijueloSpanish
- vaatekerros, laatoittaja, munituskana, kerrostaa, pinota, kerros, kerrostumaFinnish
- couche, pondeuse, marcotteFrench
- strato, ovaiolaItalian
- apa, tāpatupatuMāori
- слој, наслојка, несилка, изданок, наслојува, наслага, раслојуваMacedonian
- laag, legger, legsterDutch
- nioska, warstwa, [[układać]] [[warstwa]]miPolish
- camada, botadeiraPortuguese
- слой, пласт, укладчик, несушкаRussian
- lager, avsugare, takläggare, värphöna, skikt, sugymp, varv, golvläggare, äggläggare, stickling, skottSwedish
- పొదుగుట, పొరTelugu
Get even more translations for layer »
Find a translation for the layer synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)