degree, grade, level(noun)
a position on a scale of intensity or amount or quality
"a moderate grade of intelligence"; "a high level of care is required"; "it is all a matter of degree"
ground level, stage, form, stratum, grade, storey, degree, tier, mark, class, point, score, spirit level, academic degree, story, horizontal surface, layer, gradation, arcdegree, floor, course, grad
grade, level, tier(noun)
a relative position or degree of value in a graded group
"lumber of the highest grade"
degree, level, stage, point(noun)
a specific identifiable position in a continuum or series or especially in a process
"a remarkable degree of frankness"; "at what stage are the social sciences?"
tier, full point, layer, stratum, dot, spot, stop, head, leg, full stop, horizontal surface, gunpoint, peak, microscope stage, point, point in time, floor, percentage point, breaker point, spirit level, phase, power point, academic degree, grade, stage, degree, arcdegree, pointedness, period, story, detail, decimal point, distributor point, item, stagecoach, compass point, storey, tip
height above ground
"the water reached ankle level"; "the pictures were at the same level"
level, spirit level(noun)
indicator that establishes the horizontal when a bubble is centered in a tube of liquid
horizontal surface, level(noun)
a flat surface at right angles to a plumb line
"park the car on the level"
level, layer, stratum(noun)
an abstract place usually conceived as having depth
"a good actor communicates on several levels"; "a simile has at least two layers of meaning"; "the mind functions on many strata simultaneously"
floor, level, storey, story(adj)
a structure consisting of a room or set of rooms at a single position along a vertical scale
"what level is the office on?"
narration, horizontal surface, account, narrative, grade, tale, storey, degree, base, flooring, tier, story, news report, trading floor, taradiddle, spirit level, write up, fib, chronicle, tarradiddle, layer, floor, stage, history, point, stratum, report
flat, level, plane(adj)
having a surface without slope, tilt in which no part is higher or lower than another
"a flat desk"; "acres of level farmland"; "a plane surface"; "skirts sewn with fine flat seams"
plane, savourless, flavorless, categoric, matt, even, insipid, monotonic, compressed, tied(p), flat, unconditional, matted, vapid, level(p), categorical, monotonous, two-dimensional, matte, monotone, savorless, prostrate, bland, mat, flavourless, unwavering
not showing abrupt variations
"spoke in a level voice"; "she gave him a level look"- Louis Auchincloss
being on a precise horizontal plane
"a billiard table must be level"
oriented at right angles to the plumb
"the picture is level"
tied(p), even, level(p)(verb)
of the score in a contest
"the score is tied"
"level criticism or charges at somebody"
level, raze, rase, dismantle, tear down, take down, pull down(verb)
tear down so as to make flat with the ground
"The building was levelled"
demean, note, rase, bring down, let down, level off, disgrace, even out, take down, disassemble, degrade, strip, put down, down, lower, dismantle, tear down, raze, take apart, push down, knock down, pull down, charge, break up, break apart, get down, even, point, flush, cut down
flush, level, even out, even(verb)
make level or straight
"level the ground"
redden, sluice, rase, level off, counterbalance, scour, take down, even out, dismantle, blush, tear down, raze, correct, even up, purge, point, pull down, charge, compensate, crimson, even off, make up, even, flush
charge, level, point(verb)
direct into a position for use
"point a gun"; "He charged his weapon at me"
channelize, excite, taper, bear down, place, tear down, raze, blame, show, commove, commit, burden, bespeak, agitate, betoken, appoint, even out, dismantle, level off, load, point, indicate, rouse, sharpen, channelise, file, pull down, shoot down, accuse, head, institutionalise, orient, lodge, manoeuver, bill, designate, manoeuvre, consign, direct, take down, institutionalize, turn on, charge, luff, aim, buck, charge up, repoint, even, shoot, flush, target, tear, send, signal, maneuver, saddle, guide, rase, steer
talk frankly with; lay it on the line
"I have to level with you"
level, level off(verb)
become level or even
"The ground levelled off"
level(noun)The same height at all places; parallel to a flat ground.
level(noun)At the same height as some reference; constructed as level with.
level(noun)Unvaried in frequency.
level(adjective)in the same position as some thing, for example in a race or in a competition
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Horizontal signifies in the direction of or parallel to the horizon. For practical purposes level and horizontal are identical, tho level, as the more popular word, is more loosely used of that which has no especially noticeable elevations or inequalities; as, a level road. Flat, according to its derivation from the Anglo-Saxon flet, a floor, applies to a surface only, and, in the first and most usual sense, to a surface that is horizontal or level in all directions; a line may be level, a floor is flat; flat is also applied in a derived sense to any plane surface without irregularities or elevations, as a picture may be painted on the flat surface of a perpendicular wall. Plane applies only to a surface, and is used with more mathematical exactness than flat. The adjective plain, originally the same word as plane, is now rarely used except in the figurative senses, but the original sense appears in the noun, as we speak of "a wide plain." We speak of a horizontal line, a flat morass, a level road, a plain country, a plane surface (especially in the scientific sense). That which is level may not be even, and that which is even may not be level; a level road may be very rough; a slope may be even.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
bring to the same level
List of paraphrases:
levels, tier, degree, scale, standard, plan, grade, driveshaft, amount, layer, standards, extent, rate, category, niveau, class, ladder, categories, classes, nivel, stage, threshold, rank, volume, plane, ebene, echelon, scope, concentration, grades, area, plano
Words popularity by usage frequency
Translations for level
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- кимәл, ҡатBashkir
- равен, ниво, етаж, либела, нивелирBulgarian
- uniforme, anivellatCatalan, Valencian
- level, úroveň, vyrovnaný, vodováha, podlaží, vodorovný, libela, urovnat, zamířit, srovnat, postoupitCzech
- højde, sindig, niveau, jævn, vaterpas, ensformig, etage, plan, i vater, nøgtern, vandret, nivelleringsinstrument, nivellere, jævne, planereDanish
- Level, Etage, Grad, Niveau, Stufe, konstant, eben, Wasserwaage, ebnen, empor steigenGerman
- επίπεδο, αλφάδι, νηφάλιος, ισοϋψής, επίπεδος, ισεπίπεδος, στάθμηGreek
- nivel, niveles, niveladoSpanish
- tasand, taseEstonian
- linjassa, taso, kerros, kylmä, tasainen, vesivaaka, vatupassi, vakaa, linja, vaakasuora, samalla tasolla, sama, tasaFinnish
- plat, niveau, nivelerFrench
- nivoWestern Frisian
- còmhnard, ìreScottish Gaelic
- רמה, פלס, שלב, קומהHebrew
- olajszint, szint, szintezHungarian
- մակարդակ, աշխարհ, հարկ, աստիճան, հարթաչափArmenian
- stig, borð, hallamál, hæð, jafna, jafna við jörðuIcelandic
- equilibrato, calmo, a posto, piano, livello, costante, orizzontale, livella, uniforme, livellato, lanciare, demolire, radere al suolo, scagliare, spianare, livellare, rivolgere, puntareItalian
- libella, assolōLatin
- lygis, lygmuo, pakopa, lygusLithuanian
- līdzens, pakāpe, līmenisLatvian
- спрат, катMacedonian
- etage, verdieping, niveau, geëqualiseerd, constant, hoogte, waterpas, vlak, egaliserenDutch
- vater, nivå, vatretNorwegian
- poziomy, poziomica, piętro, poziomPolish
- nível, fase, constante, andar, plano, nivelado, nivelar, passar, arrasar, avançar, direccionarPortuguese
- nivel, cat, nivele, grade, plat, etaj, etaje, șes, plan, grad, nivelatRomanian
- уровень, этап, ровный, ватерпас, степень, равнять, выравнивать, сровнять с землёй, получить уровень, выровнятьRussian
- nivo, stepen, либела, ниво, степен, раван, libela, ravanSerbo-Croatian
- etaža, nivo, nadstropje, stopnjaSlovene
- nivå, höjd, lugn, steg, plan, våning, jämnhög, vattenpass, grad, jämn, bana, vågrät, jämna, rasera, levla, utjämna, nivellera, stigaSwedish
- సున్నితముగా, సమానము, భేధము లేక, చదునైనTelugu
Get even more translations for level »
Find a translation for the level synonym in other languages:
Select another language: