a static photograph (especially one taken from a movie and used for advertising purposes)
"he wanted some stills for a magazine ad"
hush, stillness, still(noun)
(poetic) tranquil silence
"the still of the night"
an apparatus used for the distillation of liquids; consists of a vessel in which a substance is vaporized by heat and a condenser where the vapor is condensed
a plant and works where alcoholic drinks are made by distillation
inactive, motionless, static, still(adj)
not in physical motion
"the inertia of an object at rest"
silent, soundless, still(adj)
marked by absence of sound
"a silent house"; "soundless footsteps on the grass"; "the night was still"
placid, quiet, still, tranquil, smooth, unruffled(adj)
(of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves
"a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay"; "the quiet waters of a lagoon"; "a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky"; "a smooth channel crossing"; "scarcely a ripple on the still water"; "unruffled water"
inactive, smooth, motionless, suave, placid, good-tempered, fluid, restrained, serene, static, muted, tranquil, soundless, unruffled, unflustered, quiet, hushed, silent, unflurried, even-tempered, subdued, unagitated, fluent, calm, equable, unperturbed, bland, noneffervescent, liquid, legato, politic
used of pictures; of a single or static photograph not presented so as to create the illusion of motion; or representing objects not capable of motion
"a still photograph"; "Cezanne's still life of apples"
"a still wine"; "still mineral water"
free from noticeable current
"a still pond"; "still waters run deep"
calm, calm down, quiet, tranquilize, tranquillize, tranquillise, quieten, lull, still(verb)
make calm or still
"quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
silence, hush, tranquilize, relieve, tranquillize, becalm, quiet down, ease, tranquillise, chill out, quiet, shut up, quiesce, hush up, sedate, cool off, cool it, simmer down, steady, settle down, calm, allay, pipe down, lull, calm down, quieten
hush, quieten, silence, still, shut up, hush up(verb)
cause to be quiet or not talk
"Please silence the children in the church!"
button up, calm, lock away, put away, ease, sleek over, calm down, quiet down, whitewash, lock, hush up, close up, quieten, quiet, lock up, quiesce, tranquillise, shut up, pipe down, allay, clam up, keep mum, lull, shut away, relieve, gloss over, be quiet, hush, dummy up, silence, lock in, tranquilize, belt up, tranquillize
still, allay, relieve, ease(verb)
lessen the intensity of or calm
"The news eased my conscience"; "still the fears"
calm, ease, salvage, calm down, save, hush up, quieten, slake, unbosom, shut up, tranquillise, take over, salve, quiet, comfort, allay, facilitate, exempt, quench, lull, let off, palliate, excuse, relieve, assuage, remedy, alleviate, hush, silence, free, lighten, tranquilize, tranquillize
with reference to action or condition; without change, interruption, or cessation
"it's still warm outside"; "will you still love me when we're old and grey?"
however, nevertheless, withal, still, yet, all the same, even so, nonetheless, notwithstanding(adverb)
despite anything to the contrary (usually following a concession)
"although I'm a little afraid, however I'd like to try it"; "while we disliked each other, nevertheless we agreed"; "he was a stern yet fair master"; "granted that it is dangerous, all the same I still want to go"
yet, withal, thus far, so far, nonetheless, up to now, til now, until now, notwithstanding, however, all the same, stock-still, nevertheless, hitherto, as yet, even, in time, heretofore, even so
even, yet, still(adverb)
to a greater degree or extent; used with comparisons
"looked sick and felt even worse"; "an even (or still) more interesting problem"; "still another problem must be solved"; "a yet sadder tale"
yet, stock-still, withal, thus far, so far, nonetheless, up to now, til now, until now, notwithstanding, however, all the same, nevertheless, hitherto, as yet, even, in time, heretofore, even so
without moving or making a sound
"he sat still as a statue"; "time stood still"; "they waited stock-still outside the door"; "he couldn't hold still any longer"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Allay and alleviate are closely kindred in signification, and have been often interchanged in usage. But, in strictness, to allay is to lay to rest, quiet or soothe that which is excited; to alleviate, on the other hand, is to lighten a burden. We allay suffering by using means to soothe and tranquilize the sufferer; we alleviate suffering by doing something toward removal of the cause, so that there is less to suffer; where the trouble is wholly or chiefly in the excitement, to allay the excitement is virtually to remove the trouble; as, to allay rage or panic; we alleviate poverty, but do not allay it. Pacify, directly from the Latin, and appease, from the Latin through the French, signify to bring to peace; to mollify is to soften; to calm, quiet, or tranquilize is to make still; compose, to place together, unite, adjust to a calm and settled condition; to soothe (originally to assent to, humor) is to bring to pleased quietude. We allay excitement, appease a tumult, calm agitation, compose our feelings or countenance, pacify the quarrelsome, quiet the boisterous or clamorous, soothe grief or distress. Compare ALLEVIATE.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
still(ad. or conj.)
still(ad. or conj.)
still(ad. or conj.)
Words popularity by usage frequency
Translations for still
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- رغم ذلك, الى الأن, لا يزال, مع ذلكArabic
- һаман, һаман даBashkir
- quiet, encaraCatalan, Valencian
- i tak, ještě, stále, stálýCzech
- still, noch, trotzdem, dennoch, doch, Destillierapparat, DestillierkolbenGerman
- aún, instantánea, alambique, sin embargo, todavía, alquitara, quieta, quieto, no obstanteSpanish
- باز هم, هنوز, آرامPersian
- vielä, jakso, pysäytyskuva, liikkumaton, yhä, edelleen, silti, stilliFinnish
- immobile, photogramme, calme, encore, néanmoins, calmerFrench
- i gcónaí, fós, ar fadIrish
- לַמְרוֹת זֹאתHebrew
- फिर भीHindi
- még, csendes, nyugodt, mégsem, mégis, mozdulatlanHungarian
- դեռ, անշարժArmenian
- tuttora, ancora, ancora piùItalian
- 依然として, 更に, それでも, まだ, 静寂, 蒸留器, 凪, スチール, 静止した, 止まる, より, 静けさ, もっと, スチル, 静止画, 静まるJapanese
- სიმშვიდე, შტილიGeorgian
- 아직, 여전히Korean
- بهڵام, هێشتاKurdish
- tamen, immobilis, etiamnunc, adhuc, adhunc, eatimnunc, eatimnum, etiamnum, etiamLatin
- stëllLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- vēl, arvien vēl, joprojāmLatvian
- сè уште, мирен, уште по-, сепак, смирува, успокојуваMacedonian
- toch, distilleerderij, nog, stil, nog steeds, distilleerapparaatDutch
- enno, endå, framleis, ennåNorwegian Nynorsk
- destillasjonsapparat, stille, ennå, likevel, fremdeles, enda, roeNorwegian
- wciąż, nadalPolish
- ainda, mesmo assim, ainda assim, imóvel, paradoPortuguese
- штиль, перегонный куб, ещё, всё-таки, всё ещё, тем не менее, неподвижный, всё же, дистиллятор, успокаивать, успокоить, угомонитьRussian
- unatoč, nepomičnoSerbo-Croatian
- stále, ešte, aj tak, i napriek tomu, ešte viac, nadalejSlovak
- ändå, stilla, vindstilla, hembränningsapparat, bleke, lönnbränningsapparat, ännu, stillbild, än, fortfarande, tystnad, destilleringsapparat, stillestånd, destillator, stillhet, destillationsapparat, trots, lugna, lugna nerSwedish
- ابھی تکUrdu
Get even more translations for still »
Find a translation for the still synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)