Synonyms for twilight
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term twilight.
The soft light in the sky seen before the rising and (especially) after the setting of the sun, occasioned by the illumination of the earth’s atmosphere by the direct rays of the sun and their reflection on the earth.
O’er the twilight groves and dusky caves. —Alexander Pope.
The time when this light is visible; the period between daylight and darkness.
It was twilight by the time I got back home.
Any faint light through which something is seen; an in-between or fading condition.
The twilight of probability. —John Locke.
twilight, dusk, gloaming, gloam, nightfall, evenfall, fall, crepuscule, crepusclenoun
the time of day immediately following sunset
"he loved the twilight"; "they finished before the fall of night"
gloam, crepuscle, declension, declination, pin, fall, surrender, gloaming, evenfall, descent, capitulation, decline, declivity, downslope, drop, autumn, dip, dusk, tumble, crepuscule, free fall, spill, nightfall, downfall
the diffused light from the sky when the sun is below the horizon but its rays are refracted by the atmosphere of the earth
a condition of decline following successes
"in the twilight of the empire"
dusky, twilight(a), twilitadjective
lighted by or as if by twilight
"The dusky night rides down the sky/And ushers in the morn"-Henry Fielding; "the twilight glow of the sky"; "a boat on a twilit river"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
Laughter is day, and sobriety is night; a smile is the twilight that hovers gently between both, more bewitching than either.
It was almost like the' Twilight Zone,' you went into the gate and it was like a different world.
The censor board found 'Twilight Over Burma' can cause disunity among national races so they decided by vote that this film shouldn't be allowed for public showing.
Eastern Ukraine residents were living in a twilight zone -- Eastern Ukraine residents were in the front line of a geopolitical despite, and there was a sense of powerlessness.
Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Translations for twilight
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- змрок, змярканне, прыцемакBelarusian
- здрач, сумракBulgarian
- crepuscleCatalan, Valencian
- llwydnos, cyfnosWelsh
- gry, daggry, tusmørke, skumringDanish
- Halbdunkel, Zwielicht, DämmerungGerman
- σούρουπο, λυκόφως, μισοσκόταδο, μούχρωμα, σύθαμποGreek
- crepúsculo, penumbraSpanish
- agu, eha, koitEstonian
- شفق, گرگومیشPersian
- aamuhämärä, iltahämärä, epäselvä, hämäräFinnish
- skýming, hálvalýsi, dimmingFaroese
- entre chien et loup, crépuscule, pénombre, brumes, demi-jourFrench
- clapsholas, coimheascarIrish
- ciaradhScottish Gaelic
- בין השמשותHebrew
- pirkadat, félhomály, alkonyat, szürkület, virradat, pirkadásHungarian
- rökkur, húm, ljósaskiptiIcelandic
- penombra, crepuscoloItalian
- 夕暮れ, 黄昏, 薄明かりJapanese
- crepusculum, TwilightLatin
- DämmerungLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- māhina, ririko, rikorikoMāori
- самрак, полумракMacedonian
- tweelicht, deemstering, schemeringDutch
- hayííłką́Navajo, Navaho
- zmrok, zmierzchPolish
- crepuscul, amurgRomanian
- сумерки, потёмки, сумрак, полумракRussian
- sumrak, сумрак, полумрак, polumrakSerbo-Croatian
- súmrak, šeroSlovak
- skymning, gryning, skumraskSwedish
- присмерк, сутінкиUkrainian
- hoàng hônVietnamese
Get even more translations for twilight »
Find a translation for the twilight synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"twilight." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 29 Sep. 2022. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/twilight>.