in a foreign country
"markets abroad"; "overseas markets"
to or in a foreign country
"they had never travelled abroad"
far away from home or one's usual surroundings
"looking afield for new lands to conquer"- R.A.Hall
in a place across an ocean
A tree spreads its branches abroad.
Without a certain confine; outside the house; away from one's abode
to walk abroad
Beyond the bounds of a country; in foreign countries.
We have broils at home and enemies abroad.
Before the public at large; throughout society or the world; here and there; widely.
Not on target; astray; in error.
Played elsewhere than one's home grounds; as in a sport's team.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use abroad in a sentence?
Our public education used to be excellent, people came from all over Latin America to study at Argentine universities, now Argentines head to the United States, England or elsewhere abroad because public universities are a disaster.
Without access to the airports, aid agencies are unable to bring in staff, vital supplies of medicines and other critical life-saving assistance, or undertake medical evacuations of their personnel, emergency relief and medical teams from abroad are likewise unable to fly in to scale up the humanitarian operation to address the needs of increasingly vulnerable Yemenis.
It continues to happen in the context of wider discrimination against women, particularly the male guardianship system in which women have to, still, require permission for traveling abroad, to marry or to undertake higher education.
America has a responsibility to stand up for human rights at home and abroad, human rights in China, and Tibet in particular, continue to be an area of grave concern.
Joel is a different human being (to when he started), he's now traveled abroad.
Translations for abroad
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- في الخارج, الى الخارجArabic
- извън къщи, открито, чужбина, навсякъде, странство, границаBulgarian
- a l'estrangerCatalan, Valencian
- v zahraničíCzech
- al exterior, en todas direciones, por todas partes, en el exterior, en el extranjeroSpanish
- در خارج از کشورPersian
- laajalle, laajalla, ulkona, ulkomaat, ulkomaille, ulkomaillaFinnish
- à l'étranger, étrangerFrench
- thall thairis, a-null thairisScottish Gaelic
- ass y çheerManx
- aletranjeHaitian Creole
- na ùfèsịIgbo
- 在外, 海外, 国外, 外国Japanese
- 국외, 해외Korean
- utenlands, utanlands, utlandetNorwegian
- além-mar, ao, exterior, no, [[fora]] [[de]] [[casa]], largamente, estrangeiro, amplamente, ultramarPortuguese
- повсю́ду, вширь, заграница, [[на]] [[улица, везде́, нару́жу, [[за]] [[граница, зарубежье, [[за]] [[рубеж, [[за]] [[рубе́ж]], широко́, снару́жиRussian
- inostranstvo, иностранствоSerbo-Croatian
- utrikes, utomlandsSwedish
Get even more translations for abroad »
Find a translation for the abroad synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)