a person's social heritage: previous experience or training
"he is a lawyer with a sports background"
the part of a scene (or picture) that lies behind objects in the foreground
"he posed her against a background of rolling hills"
screen background, setting, ground, priming coat, primer, background signal, soil, undercoat, basis, solid ground, dry land, primer coat, footing, land, priming, backcloth, background knowledge, scope, reason, flat coat, backdrop, desktop, earth, terra firma
background, background knowledge(noun)
information that is essential to understanding a situation or problem
"the embassy filled him in on the background of the incident"
background, background signal(noun)
extraneous signals that can be confused with the phenomenon to be observed or measured
"they got a bad connection and could hardly hear one another over the background signals"
relatively unimportant or inconspicuous accompanying situation
"when the rain came he could hear the sound of thunder in the background"
setting, background, scope(noun)
the state of the environment in which a situation exists
"you can't do that in a university setting"
place setting, screen background, scene, compass, ground, telescope, background signal, circumstance, reach, cathode-ray oscilloscope, ambit, setting, range, mise en scene, oscilloscope, backcloth, background knowledge, scope, mount, orbit, backdrop, desktop, context, stage setting
background, desktop, screen background(noun)
(computer science) the area of the screen in graphical user interfaces against which icons and windows appear
backdrop, background, backcloth(verb)
scenery hung at back of stage
background, play down, downplay(verb)
understate the importance or quality of
"he played down his royal ancestry"
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use background in a sentence?
I’m hoping that at some point there will be an agreement to have an investigation. It would be very easy for the FBI to go back and finish the background investigation, to investigate these charges. And, you know maybe find out there’s nothing to them, maybe find out there is something to them. But, at least have that investigation completed. I think that’s a fair request for due process to be asked for.
I didn't come from a very rigid background, where there's a clan or a tribe or a religion.
Theres something happening right now, that calls for something completely different than what weve been seeing.Generationally different, regionally different, somebody with a different life story and a different background, and to the surprise of many, includingmyself, this moment could be the only moment over the last 100 years or the next 100 years, when its appropriate for someone like me to be in this conversation.
Gwen Landt added. Gwen Landt said that Gwen Landt has spent much of Gwen Landt life taking care of fawns who have lost their mothers and are left to fend for themselves. These animals may look adorable but their background stories are really not sweet.
He's very much an immigrant traitor, he plays this card of, 'I have an immigrant background and I'm proud of my parents,' but yet he puts out this legislation that would definitely negatively impact folks coming from Cuba.
Translations for background
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- заден план, фонBulgarian
- antecedents, bagatge, fonsCatalan, Valencian
- Hintergrund, SchreibtischhintergrundGerman
- segundo plano, fondo, antecedente, formaciónSpanish
- پسزمینه, پس زمینهPersian
- tausta, taustakuva, taustaväri, historia, taustatietoFinnish
- arrière-plan, histoire, passé, milieu, antécédents, historique, tâche de fond, en arrière-plan, fond, fond d'écranFrench
- cùl-fhiosrachadhScottish Gaelic
- խորք, նախագիտելիքArmenian
- secondo piano, formazione, retaggio, sfondo, istruzione, sottofondo, storia, bagaglio culturale, legato, antefatto, in sordinaItalian
- バックグラウンド, 背景Japanese
- 배경, 예비지식, 바탕색, 백그라운드Korean
- dalszy plan, kontekst, doświadczenie, drugi plan, tło, tapetaPolish
- plano de fundo, histórico, segundo plano, antecedente, fundo, experiência, instrução, formaçãoPortuguese
- бэкграунд, фон, предыстория, предпосылка, происхождение, задний план, подоплёка, контекст, образование, фоновый режим, подготовкаRussian
- pretpovijest, kontekstSerbo-Croatian
- bakgrund, bakgrundsbild, skrivbordsbakgrundSwedish
- پس منظر کےUrdu
- cơ sở, nền, hình nền, bối cảnhVietnamese
Get even more translations for background »
Find a translation for the background synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)