anything (such as a document or a phonograph record or a photograph) providing permanent evidence of or information about past events
"the film provided a valuable record of stage techniques"
phonograph record, phonograph recording, record, disk, disc, platter(noun)
sound recording consisting of a disk with a continuous groove; used to reproduce music by rotating while a phonograph needle tracks in the groove
the number of wins versus losses and ties a team has had
"at 9-0 they have the best record in their league"
record, track record(noun)
the sum of recognized accomplishments
"the lawyer has a good record"; "the track record shows that he will be a good president"
record, record book, book(noun)
a compilation of the known facts regarding something or someone
"Al Smith used to say, `Let's look at the record'"; "his name is in all the record books"
disc, phonograph record, platter, account book, rule book, disk, phonograph recording, ledger, al-Qur'an, criminal record, book, book of account, track record, volume, script, playscript, record book, leger
an extreme attainment; the best (or worst) performance ever attested (as in a sport)
"he tied the Olympic record"; "coffee production last year broke all previous records"; "Chicago set the homicide record"
a document that can serve as legal evidence of a transaction
"they could find no record of the purchase"
criminal record, record(verb)
a list of crimes for which an accused person has been previously convicted
"he ruled that the criminal record of the defendant could not be disclosed to the court"; "the prostitute had a record a mile long"
record, enter, put down(verb)
make a record of; set down in permanent form
move into, land, figure, repose, bring down, commemorate, insert, read, introduce, go into, register, show, participate, destroy, drop off, embark, get down, place down, enrol, demean, come in, write down, accede, lay, immortalize, degrade, inscribe, memorialise, take down, get in, disgrace, infix, put down, unload, tape, get into, drop, enter, discharge, enroll, recruit, immortalise, go in, set down, memorialize
"They recorded her singing"
read, register, show, record(verb)
indicate a certain reading; of gauges and instruments
"The thermometer showed thirteen degrees below zero"; "The gauge read `empty'"
express, demo, read, register, show, testify, establish, depict, evidence, put down, take, exhibit, point, indicate, say, picture, memorialize, cross-file, shew, file, immortalize, usher, scan, designate, memorialise, render, study, evince, prove, tape, present, demonstrate, understand, interpret, enter, commemorate, translate, immortalise, learn, show up, bear witness
be aware of
"Did you register any change when I pressed the button?"
commemorate, memorialize, memorialise, immortalize, immortalise, record(verb)
be or provide a memorial to a person or an event
"This sculpture commemorates the victims of the concentration camps"; "We memorialized the Dead"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A memorial is any object, whether a writing, a monument, or other permanent thing that is designed or adapted to keep something in remembrance. Record is a word of wide signification, applying to any writing, mark, or trace that serves as a memorial giving enduring attestation of an event or fact; an extended account, chronicle, or history is a record; so, too, may be a brief inventory or memorandum; the inscription on a tombstone is a record of the dead; the striæ on a rock-surface are the record of a glacier's passage. A register is a formal or official written record, especially a series of entries made for preservation or reference; as, a register of births and deaths. Archives, in the sense here considered, are documents or records, often legal records, preserved in a public or official depository; the word archives is also applied to the place where such documents are regularly deposited and preserved. Muniments (Latin munio, fortify) are records that enable one to defend his title. Compare HISTORY; STORY.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
minutes, acta, records, register, registration, recording, file, registry, dossier, log, locker, recorded, registering, accomplishments, achievements, history, debriefing, document, files, burn, unprecedented, procès-verbal, record-high, summary, booklet, docket, background, registrations, record-breaking, registered, registers, disc, logging, archives, discs, rendered, registries, trace, album, registro, account, relevé
How to say record in sign language?
Translations for record
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أسطوانة, سجل, دفتر, رقم قياسي, تسجيلArabic
- záznam, deska, nahrát, nahrávat, zaznamenat, rekordCzech
- optegne, markere, registrere, indspille, grammofonplade, post, optegnelse, bevidne, rekord, dokument, plade, optageDanish
- eintragen, Schallplatte, Datensatz, aufzeichnen, Aufnahme, Bestleistung, protokollieren, Rekord, Aufzeichnung, HöchstleistungGerman
- αναγράφω, εγγράφω, εγγραφή, καταχώρηση, ρεκόρ, καταγραφή, βινύλιο, δίσκος, γράφω, καταγράφω, ανώτατη επίδοσηGreek
- registro, récord, anotar, grabar, registrarSpanish
- tallentaa, tietue, levyttää, nauhoittaa, LP-levy, levy, tallenne, ennätys, äänilevy, äänittää, taltioida, merkitä, rekisteröidäFinnish
- record, enregistrement, enregistrer, disqueFrench
- rekord, csúcs, feljegyez, felvétel, lemezHungarian
- menjar, plata, heimild, met, skrá, hljómplata, skýrsla, færslaIcelandic
- disco, registrare, primatoItalian
- 収録, 記録, 録画, レコード, 録る, 録音, 記す, 最高記録, 成績Japanese
- 기록하다, 레코드, 기록Korean
- įrašas, diskas, plokštelė, rekordasLithuanian
- piring hitamMalay
- verslag, record, opnemen, optekenenDutch
- rekordNorwegian Nynorsk
- vinil, gravar, registro, registrar, recordePortuguese
- discuri, recorduri, disc-audio, disc de gramofon, disc-video, disc, recordRomanian
- записа́ть, пластинка, грампластинка, запи́сывать, запись, рекорд, граммофонная пластинкаRussian
- snimak, zapis, slog (m), rekord (m), snimkaSerbo-Croatian
- spela in, nerteckning, rekord, inspelning, skiva, platta, post, antecknaSwedish
Get even more translations for record »
Find a translation for the record synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)