Synonyms for history
ˈhɪs tə ri, ˈhɪs trihis·to·ry
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term history.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
History is a systematic record of past events. Annals and chronicles relate events with little regard to their relative importance, and with complete subserviency to their succession in time. Annals are yearly records; chronicles follow the order of time. Both necessarily lack emphasis, selection, and perspective. Archives are public records, which may be annals, or chronicles, or deeds of property, etc. Memoirs generally record the lives of individuals or facts pertaining to individual lives. A biography is distinctively a written account of one person's life and actions; an autobiography is a biography written by the person whose life it records. Annals, archives, chronicles, biographies, and memoirs and other records furnish the materials of history. History recounts events with careful attention to their importance, their mutual relations, their causes and consequences, selecting and grouping events on the ground of interest or importance. History is usually applied to such an account of events affecting communities and nations, tho sometimes we speak of the history of a single eminent life. Compare RECORD.
See synonyms for FICTION.
the aggregate of past events
"a critical time in the school's history"
history, account, chronicle, storynoun
a record or narrative description of past events
"a history of France"; "he gave an inaccurate account of the plot to kill the president"; "the story of exposure to lead"
score, tarradiddle, account, narrative, chronicle, tale, storey, report, fib, story, business relationship, news report, account statement, explanation, taradiddle, bill, write up, invoice, floor, accounting, narration, level
the discipline that records and interprets past events involving human beings
"he teaches Medieval history"; "history takes the long view"
the continuum of events occurring in succession leading from the past to the present and even into the future
"all of human history"
all that is remembered of the past as preserved in writing; a body of knowledge
"the dawn of recorded history"; "from the beginning of history"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use history in a sentence?
History has told us that these things go away. And you have to do something to make them go away, even in 1918, 1919, people got infected and tragically the world had to go through that. We achieved some kind of equilibrium, got to herd immunity and it ended.
If I had told you eight years ago that America would reverse a great recession, reboot our auto industry, and unleash the longest stretch of job creation in our history… If I had told you that we would open up a new chapter with the Cuban people, shut down Iran’s nuclear weapons program without firing a shot, and take out the mastermind of 9/11… If I had told you that we would win marriage equality, and secure the right to health insurance for another 20 million of our fellow citizens – you might have said our sights were set a little too high.
Behind the scenes, we’ve been well-represented, but I’m the first openly gay title holder, so I’m very excited, i knew going in that I had the opportunity to make history. Now I get to be more visible to the community and meet more people.
History will tell us that if the economic impact is limited - and I think it will be - that markets will quickly recover and go on to focus on other things.
We deeply regret the thalidomide tragedy and it will always be part of our corporate history.
Translations for history
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- история, исто́рияBulgarian
- història, historialCatalan, Valencian
- historie, dějepis, dějiny, zdravotní kartaCzech
- hanes, [[hanes]] ([[meddygol]]), [[hanes]] ([[cyfrifiadurol]]), astudiaethWelsh
- beretning, historieDanish
- Verlauf, Geschichtswissenschaft, Geschichte, ErzählungGerman
- ιστορικό, ιστορίαGreek
- registro, historia, historial, historia clínica, antecedentesSpanish
- ajalugu, haigusluguEstonian
- پیشینه, تاریخ, تاریخچه, سابقهPersian
- histoire, historique, passéFrench
- eachdraidhScottish Gaelic
- तारीख़, इतिहासHindi
- istwaHaitian Creole
- történet, történelem, kórtörténet, múlt, históriaHungarian
- պատմագիտություն, պատմությունArmenian
- sagnfræði, sagaIcelandic
- precedenti, storiaItalian
- 沿革, 履歴, 歴史, 経過, 診療録, 経歴, 既往歴, カルテ, 病歴Japanese
- ប្រវត្តិសាស្ត្រ, ប្រវត្តិ, ប្រវត្តិវិទ្យាKhmer
- 역사, 歷史, 병력, 사학Korean
- مێژوو, dîrokKurdish
- istorija, ligos istorijaLithuanian
- vēsture, slimības vēstureLatvian
- storja, arkivjiMaltese
- သမိုင်း, အဖြစ်အပျက်ပါသောစာBurmese
- историOssetian, Ossetic
- [[historia]] [[choroba, historiaPolish
- documentário, histórico, [[histórico]] [[médico]], históriaPortuguese
- istorie, povestireRomanian
- история, исто́рия, история болезниRussian
- pȍvēst, hìstōrija, хѝсто̄рија, ѝсто̄рија, по̏вије̄ст, pȍvijēst, ìstōrija, по̏ве̄ст, pȍvijēst bȍlēsti, anamnézaSerbo-Croatian
- ඉතිහාසය, පුරාවෘත්තයSinhala, Sinhalese
- história, dejepis, dejinySlovak
- zgodovina, zgodovinopisje, preteklostSlovene
- berättelse, historia, historik, loggSwedish
- చరితం, చరిత, చరిత్రTelugu
- تارىخUyghur, Uighur
- تاریخ, اتہاس, ہسٹریUrdu
- lịch sử, 歷史Vietnamese
Get even more translations for history »
Find a translation for the history synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"history." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 18 Aug. 2022. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/history>.