the aggregate of past events
"a critical time in the school's history"
history, account, chronicle, story(noun)
a record or narrative description of past events
"a history of France"; "he gave an inaccurate account of the plot to kill the president"; "the story of exposure to lead"
score, tarradiddle, account, narrative, chronicle, tale, storey, report, fib, story, business relationship, news report, account statement, explanation, taradiddle, bill, write up, invoice, floor, accounting, narration, level
the discipline that records and interprets past events involving human beings
"he teaches Medieval history"; "history takes the long view"
the continuum of events occurring in succession leading from the past to the present and even into the future
"all of human history"
all that is remembered of the past as preserved in writing; a body of knowledge
"the dawn of recorded history"; "from the beginning of history"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
History is a systematic record of past events. Annals and chronicles relate events with little regard to their relative importance, and with complete subserviency to their succession in time. Annals are yearly records; chronicles follow the order of time. Both necessarily lack emphasis, selection, and perspective. Archives are public records, which may be annals, or chronicles, or deeds of property, etc. Memoirs generally record the lives of individuals or facts pertaining to individual lives. A biography is distinctively a written account of one person's life and actions; an autobiography is a biography written by the person whose life it records. Annals, archives, chronicles, biographies, and memoirs and other records furnish the materials of history. History recounts events with careful attention to their importance, their mutual relations, their causes and consequences, selecting and grouping events on the ground of interest or importance. History is usually applied to such an account of events affecting communities and nations, tho sometimes we speak of the history of a single eminent life. Compare RECORD.
See synonyms for FICTION.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use history in a sentence?
Not only is the debt itself gone and paid, but also, any negative impact that debt has had on their credit history is wiped clean, it’s the easiest decision we’ve ever made.
In the minds of a lot of people, U.S. national security and foreign policy has been reduced to either 'do nothing' or 'we go in alone with 200,000 troops,' and I just think that's not the history of American foreign policy, there are almost always more options available to secure our interests than simply that binary choice of doing nothing or doing everything.
History makes us some amends for the shortness of life.
American companies haven't quite grasped the lessons of history yet, it will come back to haunt them.
They should not be concerned that their family history alone will affect the chance of a successful outcome.
Translations for history
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- история, исто́рияBulgarian
- història, historialCatalan, Valencian
- historie, dějepis, dějiny, zdravotní kartaCzech
- hanes, [[hanes]] ([[meddygol]]), [[hanes]] ([[cyfrifiadurol]]), astudiaethWelsh
- beretning, historieDanish
- Verlauf, Geschichtswissenschaft, Geschichte, ErzählungGerman
- ιστορικό, ιστορίαGreek
- registro, historia, historial, historia clínica, antecedentesSpanish
- ajalugu, haigusluguEstonian
- پیشینه, تاریخ, تاریخچه, سابقهPersian
- histoire, historique, passéFrench
- eachdraidhScottish Gaelic
- तारीख़, इतिहासHindi
- istwaHaitian Creole
- történet, történelem, kórtörténet, múlt, históriaHungarian
- պատմագիտություն, պատմությունArmenian
- sagnfræði, sagaIcelandic
- precedenti, storiaItalian
- 沿革, 履歴, 歴史, 経過, 診療録, 経歴, 既往歴, カルテ, 病歴Japanese
- ប្រវត្តិសាស្ត្រ, ប្រវត្តិ, ប្រវត្តិវិទ្យាKhmer
- 역사, 歷史, 병력, 사학Korean
- مێژوو, dîrokKurdish
- istorija, ligos istorijaLithuanian
- vēsture, slimības vēstureLatvian
- storja, arkivjiMaltese
- သမိုင်း, အဖြစ်အပျက်ပါသောစာBurmese
- историOssetian, Ossetic
- [[historia]] [[choroba, historiaPolish
- documentário, histórico, [[histórico]] [[médico]], históriaPortuguese
- istorie, povestireRomanian
- история, исто́рия, история болезниRussian
- pȍvēst, hìstōrija, хѝсто̄рија, ѝсто̄рија, по̏вије̄ст, pȍvijēst, ìstōrija, по̏ве̄ст, pȍvijēst bȍlēsti, anamnézaSerbo-Croatian
- ඉතිහාසය, පුරාවෘත්තයSinhala, Sinhalese
- história, dejepis, dejinySlovak
- zgodovina, zgodovinopisje, preteklostSlovene
- berättelse, historia, historik, loggSwedish
- చరితం, చరిత, చరిత్రTelugu
- تارىخUyghur, Uighur
- تاریخ, اتہاس, ہسٹریUrdu
- lịch sử, 歷史Vietnamese
Get even more translations for history »
Find a translation for the history synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)