the discipline that records and interprets past events involving human beings
"he teaches Medieval history"; "history takes the long view"
all that is remembered of the past as preserved in writing; a body of knowledge
"the dawn of recorded history"; "from the beginning of history"
history, account, chronicle, story(noun)
a record or narrative description of past events
"a history of France"; "he gave an inaccurate account of the plot to kill the president"; "the story of exposure to lead"
the aggregate of past events
"a critical time in the school's history"
the continuum of events occurring in succession leading from the past to the present and even into the future
"all of human history"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
History is a systematic record of past events. Annals and chronicles relate events with little regard to their relative importance, and with complete subserviency to their succession in time. Annals are yearly records; chronicles follow the order of time. Both necessarily lack emphasis, selection, and perspective. Archives are public records, which may be annals, or chronicles, or deeds of property, etc. Memoirs generally record the lives of individuals or facts pertaining to individual lives. A biography is distinctively a written account of one person's life and actions; an autobiography is a biography written by the person whose life it records. Annals, archives, chronicles, biographies, and memoirs and other records furnish the materials of history. History recounts events with careful attention to their importance, their mutual relations, their causes and consequences, selecting and grouping events on the ground of interest or importance. History is usually applied to such an account of events affecting communities and nations, tho sometimes we speak of the history of a single eminent life. Compare RECORD.
See synonyms for FICTION.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use history in a sentence?
The rally is a great signal to the rest of the country that it's time to get things moving again, americans will now see the contrast between the President's record of accomplishment versus the history of failure Joe Biden brings to the table.
History is an account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers, mostly knaves, and soldiers, mostly fools.
First of all, I very respect this artist. For me, he is one of the top artists in the world, and I think this is the first one in art history when one artist eat concept for another artist. People ask me, you eat banana? Physically is was banana, but banana is just a tool. So usually I eat the concept of the art.
With everything going on in the climate, with George Floyd, this is the perfect time now because people are starting to wake up. i am interested in learning more and believe the history of Black people should be taught to all children and include all groups, Women, LatinX, and Native Indians who helped to build America.
They saw some of the most challenging times for Virginia's history and helped save the colony and ultimately helped save English America.
Translations for history
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- история, исто́рияBulgarian
- història, historialCatalan, Valencian
- historie, dějepis, dějiny, zdravotní kartaCzech
- hanes, [[hanes]] ([[meddygol]]), [[hanes]] ([[cyfrifiadurol]]), astudiaethWelsh
- beretning, historieDanish
- Verlauf, Geschichtswissenschaft, Geschichte, ErzählungGerman
- ιστορικό, ιστορίαGreek
- registro, historia, historial, historia clínica, antecedentesSpanish
- ajalugu, haigusluguEstonian
- پیشینه, تاریخ, تاریخچه, سابقهPersian
- histoire, historique, passéFrench
- eachdraidhScottish Gaelic
- तारीख़, इतिहासHindi
- istwaHaitian Creole
- történet, történelem, kórtörténet, múlt, históriaHungarian
- պատմագիտություն, պատմությունArmenian
- sagnfræði, sagaIcelandic
- precedenti, storiaItalian
- 沿革, 履歴, 歴史, 経過, 診療録, 経歴, 既往歴, カルテ, 病歴Japanese
- ប្រវត្តិសាស្ត្រ, ប្រវត្តិ, ប្រវត្តិវិទ្យាKhmer
- 역사, 歷史, 병력, 사학Korean
- مێژوو, dîrokKurdish
- istorija, ligos istorijaLithuanian
- vēsture, slimības vēstureLatvian
- storja, arkivjiMaltese
- သမိုင်း, အဖြစ်အပျက်ပါသောစာBurmese
- историOssetian, Ossetic
- [[historia]] [[choroba, historiaPolish
- documentário, histórico, [[histórico]] [[médico]], históriaPortuguese
- istorie, povestireRomanian
- история, исто́рия, история болезниRussian
- pȍvēst, hìstōrija, хѝсто̄рија, ѝсто̄рија, по̏вије̄ст, pȍvijēst, ìstōrija, по̏ве̄ст, pȍvijēst bȍlēsti, anamnézaSerbo-Croatian
- ඉතිහාසය, පුරාවෘත්තයSinhala, Sinhalese
- história, dejepis, dejinySlovak
- zgodovina, zgodovinopisje, preteklostSlovene
- berättelse, historia, historik, loggSwedish
- చరితం, చరిత, చరిత్రTelugu
- تارىخUyghur, Uighur
- تاریخ, اتہاس, ہسٹریUrdu
- lịch sử, 歷史Vietnamese
Get even more translations for history »
Find a translation for the history synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)