double, two-base hit, two-bagger, two-baser(noun)
a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base
"he hit a double to deep centerfield"
raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2
"I decided his double was a bluff"
a quantity that is twice as great as another
"36 is the double of 18"
double, image, look-alike(noun)
someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor)
"he could be Gingrich's double"; "she's the very image of her mother"
double, stunt man, stunt woman(noun)
a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts
"his first job in Hollywood was as a double for Clark Gable"
"The population doubled within 50 years"
hit a two-base hit
do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions
"She doubles as his wife and secretary"
duplicate, reduplicate, double, repeat, replicate(verb)
make or do or perform again
"He could never replicate his brilliant performance of the magic trick"
double over, double, double up(verb)
bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain
"He doubled and vomited violently"
bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)
having two meanings with intent to deceive
"a sly double meaning"; "spoke with forked tongue"
large enough for two
"a double bed"; "a double room"
used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsis
double, doubled, twofold, two-fold(adj)
twice as great or many
"ate a double portion"; "the dose is doubled"; "a twofold increase"
double, dual, duple(adj)
consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs
"an egg with a double yolk"; "a double (binary) star"; "double doors"; "dual controls for pilot and copilot"; "duple (or double) time consists of two (or a multiple of two) beats to a measure"
double, dual, twofold, two-fold, treble, threefold, three-fold(adj)
having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities
"a double (or dual) role for an actor"; "the office of a clergyman is twofold; public preaching and private influence"- R.W.Emerson; "every episode has its double and treble meaning"-Frederick Harrison
used of flowers having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements
"double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical"
doubly, double, twice(adverb)
to double the degree
"she was doubly rewarded"; "his eyes were double bright"
"some people sleep better double"
downward and forward
"he was bent double with pain"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
twice as much
(naut.). Sail round
return upon the same track
twice as much
returning upon one's track (to elude pursuit)
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases for "double":
dual, twofold, twice, twin, two-fold, duplicate, doubling, redouble, doubles, two-pronged, doubly, 2x, doppelganger, doubled, two-up, bend, twin-track, two-track, dual-track, duplicating, double-decked, fold, double-, doble, two-tier, duplication, two-factor, dual-, double-cross
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use double in a sentence?
We need to do more, and Vizzy is a key part of our plan to double down on seltzers and come in with differentiated and consumer-relevant propositions.
While it's appealing to make a pre-tax contribution directly from an IRA to a charity, the reality is that the 'double tax benefit' of donating appreciated securities to a charity is still superior for tax purposes.
Let me say something to every political hack pretending to know an AR-15 from a double-barrel shot gun, in the wake of the Orlando attack, for the vast major of people I work with, there is nothing better to defend their homes against realistic threats than with an AR-15 semi-automatic.
As we have said from the time the district attorney announced charges against Mr. Manafort, this is a case that should never have been brought because the dismissed indictment is a clear violation of New York law, as the trial court held, and the Appellate Division affirmed, the people's arguments' all far short' of triggering an exception to double jeopardy that would justify this prosecution.
It is double-sided. Of course, there is interest in our city from all around the world now. And for businesses, there are lots of new possibilities to earn money, but not everyone is happy ... I really hope the foreigners don't just come for the football, but see other things in the city: the museums, the contemporary art center.
Translations for double
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- двойно, двойник, дублирам, сгъвам на две, удвоявам, свивам, контрирам, копирам, сгънат на две, удвоен, кичест, двоен, двуличен, двойнственBulgarian
- doblar, dobleCatalan, Valencian
- dvojník, zdvojnásobit, dvojitý, dvojnásobekCzech
- dwbwl, dwblWelsh
- doubeln, Doppelte, kontrieren, verdoppeln, doppeln, Doppelter, ballen, Double, Doppelgänger, kontra-, doppelt, gefüllt, zweilagig, doppellagig, doppel-German
- διπλασιάζω, διπλός, διπλάσιοςGreek
- duobliĝi, duopa, duoblaEsperanto
- hacer de doble de, doblar, apretar, duplicar la velocidad, torcer, circunnavegar, doble, sosias, emparejar, duplicar, ser doble de, hacer las veces de, doblado, encorvado, bicapaSpanish
- kerrata, kaksinkertainen määrä, toistaa, kaksinkertaistaa, olla, laskostaa, kaksoisrooli, puristaa, tehdä, liittää, tuplata, äkkikäännös, korvata, kaksoisolento, kiertää, tupla, kaksois-, kerrottu, kaksinkertainen, tupla-Finnish
- double, doublerFrench
- dúbail, dúbailt, dúbailteIrish
- dùbailteScottish Gaelic
- כפיל, כפילה, הכפיל, כפולHebrew
- dua kali lipatIndonesian
- doppiare, sosia, doppio, doppione, doppiaItalian
- duplex, binus, geminusLatin
- dubbelgangster, dubbelganger, dubbeleDutch
- sobowtór, podwójny, podwójna, podwójne, podwójniePolish
- sósia, dobrar, dobro, duplicar, duploPortuguese
- dubel, dobelRomansh
- dubla, îndoi, dublu, dublatRomanian
- удваивать, удвоить, двойник, двойнойRussian
- dvojnik, dvojnicaSerbo-Croatian
- dubbla, dubbel, ersätta, dubbelvika, duplicera, dubbelgångare, runda, fördubbla, dubblera, tvetydig, tvåfaldig, dubbelviktSwedish
Get even more translations for double »
Find a translation for the double synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)