focus, focusing, focussing, focal point, direction, centering(noun)
the concentration of attention or energy on something
"the focus of activity shifted to molecular biology"; "he had no direction in his life"
direction, guidance, nidus, management, counselling, stress, way, commission, counsel, instruction, focussing, focalisation, snap, centering, counseling, charge, steering, focal point, focalization, focusing
maximum clarity or distinctness of an image rendered by an optical system
"in focus"; "out of focus"
maximum clarity or distinctness of an idea
"the controversy brought clearly into focus an important difference of opinion"
focus, focal point, nidus(noun)
a central point or locus of an infection in an organism
"the focus of infection"
special emphasis attached to something
"the stress was more on accuracy than on speed"
focus, focal point(noun)
a point of convergence of light (or other radiation) or a point from which it diverges
a fixed reference point on the concave side of a conic section
concentrate, focus, center, centre, pore, rivet(verb)
direct one's attention on something
"Please focus on your studies and not on your hobbies"
decoct, center on, concentrate on, concentrate, sharpen, centralise, focus on, concenter, contract, digest, revolve around, condense, focalise, centre, center, boil down, focalize, revolve about, reduce, rivet, pore, concentre, centralize
cause to converge on or toward a central point
"Focus the light on this image"
concenter, concentre, focalize, focalise, focus(verb)
bring into focus or alignment; to converge or cause to converge; of ideas or emotions
focus, focalize, focalise(verb)
become focussed or come into focus
"The light focused"
focus, focalize, focalise, sharpen(verb)
put (an image) into focus
"Please focus the image; we cannot enjoy the movie"
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
concentrate, emphasis, attention, concentration, accent, discussion, focusing, approach, priority, focused, orientation, centre, target, focuses, theme, axis, focussing, interest, spotlight, concentrating, refocus, objective, guidance, direction, heart, reflection, care, concentrated, devote, goal
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use focus in a sentence?
You may not know where you're going to fight or when you're going to fight. Therefore you need to focus on your readiness, being ready to fight sooner rather than later. Days rather than weeks.
The focus has been on such (negative) news even though we are sitting here, going to our work and dealing with the situation as if it is completely stable but this picture is not portrayed abroad, i believe that (changing perceptions) must be a priority at this stage because the current views on the situation in Egypt is not good, so we must work on that.
There aren't little giveaways, it's the overall skill with which the attack was executed, and they didn't just go nuts and shoot wildly, as amateur jihadis do. They set out to kill specific people and never list focus. [ They ] even stayed cool during the getaway phase. These men had killed before.
It's a jacket, after today's important visit to Texas, I hope the media isn't going to choose to focus on Melania Trump wardrobe.
Despite challenging economic conditions and lower commodity prices, we continue to focus on what we can control - lowering costs, creating efficiencies and improving service.
Translations for focus
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- концентрирам, фокус, фокусирам, съсредоточавам се, концентрирам се, сгъстявамBulgarian
- enfocar, focusCatalan, Valencian
- fokus, koncentrere, fokusereDanish
- Fokus, Konzentration, fokussieren, [[sich]] [[konzentrieren]], Epizentrum, BrennpunktGerman
- fokuso, subcentroEsperanto
- punto focal, foco, foco de atención, centrar, enfocar, enfoque, hipocentro, concentrarseSpanish
- fookus, keskendus, epitsenterEstonian
- tarkentaa, polttopiste, leikkauspiste, keskittyminen, keskittyä, fokusFinnish
- concentrer, attention, épicentre, focaliser, mettre au point, se concentrer, se focaliser, foyerFrench
- su, fuoco, concentrarsiItalian
- 焦点, 集中, 震央, 注目を集める, 濃縮, 震源, 絞る, ピントを合わせる, フォーカスJapanese
- 초점, 焦点Korean
- сосредоточува, концентрираMacedonian
- brandpunt, focusDutch
- foco, enfoque, epicentro, focalizarPortuguese
- сосредоточиться, [[фокальный, фокус, концентрация, концентрировать, сконцентрировать, средоточие, [[наводка]] [[на]] [[резкость]], фокусировать, сфокусировать, [[концентрация]] [[внимание, сосредоточение, сосредоточивать, сосредоточить, эпицентр, концентрироваться, сконцентрироваться, сосредоточиватьсяRussian
- brännpunkt, fokus, skärpa, ställa in fokus, koncentrera, fokusera, ställa in skärpan, koncentrera sigSwedish
- odak, odaklanmakTurkish
Get even more translations for focus »
Find a translation for the focus synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)