Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
focus, focusing, focussing, focal point, direction, centeringnoun
the concentration of attention or energy on something
"the focus of activity shifted to molecular biology"; "he had no direction in his life"
direction, guidance, nidus, management, counselling, stress, way, commission, counsel, instruction, focussing, focalisation, snap, centering, counseling, charge, steering, focal point, focalization, focusing
maximum clarity or distinctness of an image rendered by an optical system
"in focus"; "out of focus"
maximum clarity or distinctness of an idea
"the controversy brought clearly into focus an important difference of opinion"
focus, focal point, nidusnoun
a central point or locus of an infection in an organism
"the focus of infection"
special emphasis attached to something
"the stress was more on accuracy than on speed"
focus, focal pointnoun
a point of convergence of light (or other radiation) or a point from which it diverges
a fixed reference point on the concave side of a conic section
concentrate, focus, center, centre, pore, rivetverb
direct one's attention on something
"Please focus on your studies and not on your hobbies"
decoct, center on, concentrate on, concentrate, sharpen, centralise, focus on, concenter, contract, digest, revolve around, condense, focalise, centre, center, boil down, focalize, revolve about, reduce, rivet, pore, concentre, centralize
cause to converge on or toward a central point
"Focus the light on this image"
concenter, concentre, focalize, focalise, focusverb
bring into focus or alignment; to converge or cause to converge; of ideas or emotions
focus, focalize, focaliseverb
become focussed or come into focus
"The light focused"
focus, focalize, focalise, sharpenverb
put (an image) into focus
"Please focus the image; we cannot enjoy the movie"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases for "focus":
concentrate, emphasis, attention, concentration, accent, discussion, focusing, approach, priority, focused, orientation, centre, target, focuses, theme, axis, focussing, interest, spotlight, concentrating, refocus, objective, guidance, direction, heart, reflection, care, concentrated, devote, goal
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use focus in a sentence?
The G20 I think, is going to have to focus on spillovers, on spillbacks and on the combination of various policies in play at the moment.
The new procedure has allowed MOFCOM officials to focus on more substantive matters, including enforcement against noncompliance.
Every year is different and equally special, so I'll just focus on doing the things that I have to do to give me another chance tomorrow. That's it.
The Covid crisis has given the world a unique pause button moment, investors around the world... have indicated that in the restart their focus will be on investing in a sustainable fashion.
That is the seminal event that caused us to really focus on developing the capabilities, developing the organizations, developing the command control structure and developing an organization that was focused on conducting missions of great importance to our nation, we recognized that we could not allow ourselves, allow our country, to fall into that situation again.
Translations for focus
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- концентрирам, фокус, фокусирам, съсредоточавам се, концентрирам се, сгъстявамBulgarian
- enfocar, focusCatalan, Valencian
- fokus, koncentrere, fokusereDanish
- Fokus, Konzentration, fokussieren, [[sich]] [[konzentrieren]], Epizentrum, BrennpunktGerman
- fokuso, subcentroEsperanto
- punto focal, foco, foco de atención, centrar, enfocar, enfoque, hipocentro, concentrarseSpanish
- fookus, keskendus, epitsenterEstonian
- tarkentaa, polttopiste, leikkauspiste, keskittyminen, keskittyä, fokusFinnish
- concentrer, attention, épicentre, focaliser, mettre au point, se concentrer, se focaliser, foyerFrench
- su, fuoco, concentrarsiItalian
- 焦点, 集中, 震央, 注目を集める, 濃縮, 震源, 絞る, ピントを合わせる, フォーカスJapanese
- 초점, 焦点Korean
- сосредоточува, концентрираMacedonian
- brandpunt, focusDutch
- foco, enfoque, epicentro, focalizarPortuguese
- сосредоточиться, [[фокальный, фокус, концентрация, концентрировать, сконцентрировать, средоточие, [[наводка]] [[на]] [[резкость]], фокусировать, сфокусировать, [[концентрация]] [[внимание, сосредоточение, сосредоточивать, сосредоточить, эпицентр, концентрироваться, сконцентрироваться, сосредоточиватьсяRussian
- brännpunkt, fokus, skärpa, ställa in fokus, koncentrera, fokusera, ställa in skärpan, koncentrera sigSwedish
- odak, odaklanmakTurkish
Get even more translations for focus »
Find a translation for the focus synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)