abuse, insult, revilement, contumely, vilification(noun)
a rude expression intended to offend or hurt
"when a student made a stupid mistake he spared them no abuse"; "they yelled insults at the visiting team"
a deliberately offensive act or something producing the effect of deliberate disrespect
"turning his back on me was a deliberate insult"
diss, insult, affront(verb)
treat, mention, or speak to rudely
"He insulted her with his rude remarks"; "the student who had betrayed his classmate was dissed by everyone"
To behave in an obnoxious and superior manner (over, against).
To offend (someone) by being rude, insensitive or insolent; to demean or affront (someone).
The way the orchestra performed tonight was an insult to my ears.
Something causing disease or injury to the body or bodily processes.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
One may be annoyed by the well-meaning awkwardness of a servant, irritated by a tight shoe or a thoughtless remark, vexed at some careless neglect or needless misfortune, wounded by the ingratitude of child or friend. To tease is to give some slight and perhaps playful annoyance. Aggravate in the sense of offend is colloquial. To provoke, literally to call out or challenge, is to begin a contest; one provokes another to violence. To affront is to offer some defiant offense or indignity, as it were, to one's face; it is somewhat less than to insult. Compare PIQUE.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use insult in a sentence?
Let’s not insult the intelligence of the American people. People aren’t dumb, why in God’s name does Wall Street make huge campaign contributions? I guess just for the fun of it.
Being called a dog is a Respect for a person, but being called a bitch is an Insult for everyone.
Some people think Trump is entertaining, but it is not entertaining to insult immigrants and women.
I've always followed my father's advice he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble.
I try very hard to be annoying. Don't insult my ability to annoy.
Translations for insult
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- абража́ць, абра́зіцьBelarusian
- insultar, insultCatalan, Valencian
- Kränkung, Verletzung, Beleidigung, beleidigenGerman
- προσβολή, προσβάλλωGreek
- insulto, insultarSpanish
- loukkaus, parjaus, loukata, pahennusFinnish
- insulter, insulteFrench
- oltraggio, offesa, insultare, affronto, ingiuria, insulto, offendereItalian
- contumelia, convicium, maledictumLatin
- അപമാനിക്കുക, നിന്ദിക്കുക, ആക്ഷേപിക്കുക, ആക്ഷേപMalayalam
- beledigen, beledigingDutch
- fornærmingNorwegian Nynorsk
- obraza, zniewaga, obrazić, wyzwisko, obrażaćPolish
- insultar, ofensa, injuriar, insultoPortuguese
- insulta, jignire, injurie, jigniRomanian
- оскорбление, оскорбить, обижать, обидеть, оскорблятьRussian
- निन्द्, आक्षेपः, निन्दाSanskrit
- förolämpning, förolämpaSwedish
- tusi, matusiSwahili
- hakaret etmek, hakaret, aşağılama, aşağılamak, eziyetTurkish
- образа, обража́ти, обра́зитиUkrainian
- اہانت کرنا, ذلیل کرنا, بے عزت کرنا،, بدنامUrdu
Get even more translations for insult »
Find a translation for the insult synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)