(usually preceded by `in') a detail or point
"it differs in that respect"
esteem, regard, respect(noun)
the condition of being honored (esteemed or respected or well regarded)
"it is held in esteem"; "a man who has earned high regard"
respect, esteem, regard(noun)
an attitude of admiration or esteem
"she lost all respect for him"
a courteous expression (by word or deed) of esteem or regard
"his deference to her wishes was very flattering"; "be sure to give my respects to the dean"
behavior intended to please your parents
"their children were never very strong on obedience"; "he went to law school out of respect for his father's wishes"
a feeling of friendship and esteem
"she mistook his manly regard for love"; "he inspires respect"
deference, respect, respectfulness(verb)
courteous regard for people's feelings
"in deference to your wishes"; "out of respect for his privacy"
respect, esteem, value, prize, prise(verb)
regard highly; think much of
"I respect his judgement"; "We prize his creativity"
value, appreciate, assess, look upon, jimmy, pry, honor, esteem, observe, measure, abide by, prize, lever, treasure, rate, regard as, honour, look on, evaluate, repute, prise, think of, take to be, appraise, valuate
respect, honor, honour, abide by, observe(verb)
show respect towards
"honor your parents!"
value, note, notice, watch over, comply, keep, mention, watch, detect, honor, esteem, observe, abide by, prize, follow, reward, honour, maintain, discover, find, prise, celebrate, remark, take note, keep an eye on
an attitude of consideration or high regard
She is an intellectual giant, and I respect her greatly.
good opinion, honor, or admiration
I respect your right to hold this belief although I think it is nonsense.
to abide by an agreement.
They failed to respect the treaty they had signed, and invaded.
To relate to; to be concerned with.
Glandulation respects the secretory vessels, which are either glandules, follicles, or utricles. \uE00084312 J. Lee.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
In the old sense of wonder, admire is practically obsolete; the word now expresses a delight and approval, in which the element of wonder unconsciously mingles. We admire beauty in nature and art, delight in the innocent happiness of children, enjoy books or society, a walk or a dinner. We approve what is excellent, applaud heroic deeds, esteem the good, love our friends. We honor and respect noble character wherever found; we revere and venerate it in the aged. We extol the goodness and adore the majesty and power of God.
Admire at may still very rarely be found in the old sense of wonder at.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
List of paraphrases:
regard, respecting, connection, observance, compliance, respected, relation, adherence, context, respects, observe, honouring, sense, regards, meet, against, relatively, abide, title, relationship, area, matter, subject, fulfilment, uphold, respectful, relating, comply, field, aspect, point, honour, adhere, topic, issue, direction, relative, meaning, fulfil
Words popularity by usage frequency
Translations for respect
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- احترم, احترامArabic
- doujañs, doujañBreton
- vyjádření úcty, mít úctu, respektovat, úcta, respekt, ohled, brát ohled, uznávatCzech
- respektieren, Respekt, Achtung, die AchtungGerman
- σέβομαι, σέβη, σεβασμόςGreek
- respekti, respektoEsperanto
- respetar, respetoSpanish
- احترام, احترام گذاشتن, ادبPersian
- kunnioitus, kunnioittaa, suhde, kunnioittaminenFinnish
- respecter, respect, le respectFrench
- urraim, measIrish
- suim, onair, urramScottish Gaelic
- आदर, सम्मान, आदर करनाHindi
- betart, elismer, szempont, tisztelet, vonatkozás, tisztelHungarian
- հարգանք, հարգելArmenian
- virðing, virða, leyti, bera virðingu fyrirIcelandic
- 尊敬, 尊重Japanese
- 존중, 경의, 尊重Korean
- ڕێزوسڵاو, ڕێز, ڕێز گرتنKurdish
- kauanuanu, whakamihaMāori
- respect, eerbied, respecteren, achtingDutch
- respekt, szacunek, PoszanowaniePolish
- respeito, reverência, respeitarPortuguese
- respect, respectaRomanian
- почитать, уважать, почтение, уважение, соблюдатьRussian
- respektera, avseende, aktning, respekt, hänseendeSwedish
- adabu, tii, taadhima, heshimuSwahili
- yön, husus, hürmet, bakım, saygınlık, saygı, itibar, açıTurkish
- آدر, احترامUrdu
- kính trọng, sự tôn trọngVietnamese
Get even more translations for respect »
Find a translation for the respect synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)