maltreatment, ill-treatment, ill-usage, abuse(noun)
cruel or inhumane treatment
"the child showed signs of physical abuse"
abuse, insult, revilement, contumely, vilification(noun)
a rude expression intended to offend or hurt
"when a student made a stupid mistake he spared them no abuse"; "they yelled insults at the visiting team"
improper or excessive use
"alcohol abuse"; "the abuse of public funds"
mistreat, maltreat, abuse, ill-use, step, ill-treat(verb)
"This boss abuses his workers"; "She is always stepping on others to get ahead"
pervert, misuse, abuse(verb)
change the inherent purpose or function of something
"Don't abuse the system"; "The director of the factory misused the funds intended for the health care of his workers"
sophisticate, pervert, shout, vitiate, deprave, debauch, twist, ill-use, blackguard, twist around, subvert, misapply, profane, step, corrupt, debase, misdirect, demoralise, convolute, maltreat, misuse, demoralize, clapperclaw, ill-treat, mistreat
abuse, clapperclaw, blackguard, shout(verb)
use foul or abusive language towards
"The actress abused the policeman who gave her a parking ticket"; "The angry mother shouted at the teacher"
hollo, guy, cry out, pervert, shout, clapperclaw, ill-use, blackguard, roast, make fun, shout out, call out, rib, step, mistreat, holler, yell, call, poke fun, jest at, maltreat, misuse, cry, squall, ridicule, outcry, exclaim, ill-treat, scream, laugh at
use wrongly or improperly or excessively
"Her husband often abuses alcohol"; "while she was pregnant, she abused drugs"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Abuse covers all unreasonable or improper use or treatment by word or act. A tenant does not abuse rented property by "reasonable wear," though that may damage the property and injure its sale; he may abuse it by needless defacement or neglect. It is possible to abuse a man without harming him, as when the criminal vituperates the judge; or to harm a man without abusing him, as when the witness tells the truth about the criminal. Defame, malign, rail at, revile, slander, vilify, and vituperate are used always in a bad sense. One may be justly reproached. To impose on or to victimize one is to injure him by abusing his confidence. To persecute one is to ill-treat him for opinion's sake, commonly for religious belief; to oppress is generally for political or pecuniary motives. "Thou shalt not oppress an hired servant that is poor and needy," Deut. xxiv, 14. Misemploy, misuse, and pervert are commonly applied to objects rather than to persons. A dissolute youth misemploys his time, misuses his money and opportunities, harms his associates, perverts his talents, wrongs his parents, ruins himself, abuses every good gift of God.
aggrieve, damage, defame, defile, disparage, harm, ill-treat, ill-use, impose on, impose upon, injure, malign, maltreat, misemploy, misuse, molest, oppress, persecute, pervert, prostitute, rail at, ravish, reproach, revile, ruin, slander, victimize, vilify, violate, vituperate, wrong
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
injure, damage, spoil, maltreat, treat-all, ill-use, ill-treat, retile, scandalize, disparage, reproach, upbraid, asperse, malign, slander, vituperate, prostitute, defame, pervert, misuse, misemploy, vilify
harm to the innocent and vulnerable
any direct or indirect abuse to children, adults, animals, elderly or the planet
nursing home abuse. child sex trafficking, rape, ptsd. gaslighting, narcissists, blocking, slut shaming, etcSubmitted by Debranardifl on May 25, 2021
public disgrace arising from shameful conduct
the opprbrium of being closely associated with gangsters.Submitted by rinat on November 1, 2015
Dictionary of English Synonymes
revile, reproach, vilify, slander, traduce, defame, asperse, malign, blacken, disparage, berate, rate, upbraid, calumniate, lampoon, satirize, lash, PASQUINADE, VITUPERATE, rail at, sneer at, speak ill of, accuse falsely, damn with faint praise
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
misuse, misapplication, perversion, profanation, desecration, injury, maltreatment, mistreatment, outrage, offense, invective, contumely, reproach, scurrility, opprobrium, tirade, billingsgate, vilification, violation, rape
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use abuse in a sentence?
The protest wasn’t about me knowing him, but there’s a part of me that feels betrayed because I can understand what the victims were feeling. Like, that could have been me, I could’ve undergone the abuse as well.
I support the chairman's effort to hold this administration accountable. I support the investigation in all of its parameters, and I support the fact that he's taking a close look at the obstruction of justice, abuse of power and cultural corruption coming out of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
I have to say( racist abuse) is worse but on the basis that when I first started there wasn't the social media aspect to it all, that seems to be the catalyst for most of this racist behavior that is happening. At the moment it's an easy way to target players and say negative things, that is a problem in itself.
A rolling state of emergency risks trampling rights and eroding the rule of law and sets a dangerous precedent for abuse elsewhere.
The Chicago Police Department refuses to look at potential patterns of misconduct complaints when investigating police misconduct, if the department did look at these patterns when investigating police abuse, there is a great chance right now that 17-year-old boy would still be alive.
Translations for abuse
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- оскърбление, злоупотребявам, изнасилвам, злоупотреба, обида, обиждам, оскърбявамBulgarian
- misbrug, mishandling, seksuelt misbrug, misbruge, krænke, vanrøgt, mishandleDanish
- Missbrauch, Mißbrauch, missbrauchen, Schmähung, Beleidigung, beleidigen, Mißhandlung, vergewaltigen, Beschimpfung, beschimpfen, MisshandlungGerman
- βρισιές, κακομεταχείριση, κατάχρησηGreek
- abuso, abuso sexualSpanish
- solvata, väärinkäyttää, raiskata, käyttää hyväksi, väärinkäyttö, solvaus, herjaus, väärinkäytös, pahoinpitely, hyväksikäyttö, pahoinpidellä, herjataFinnish
- abus, viol, abuserFrench
- càineadh, trod, cronachadhScottish Gaelic
- השתלחות, התעלל, השתלח, ניצול לרעה, התעללות, תקיפה מינית, ניצל לרעהHebrew
- बुरा भला कहना, दुरूपयोग, अपशब्द, गाली देनाHindi
- abuso, abuso sessuale, violenza carnale, violentare, violenza, abusareItalian
- 侮辱, 濫用, ののしる, 性的虐待, 酷使, 虐待Japanese
- abūsiō, probrum, obloquor, abūtorLatin
- abuséierenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- verkrachten, beschimpingen, beschimpen, uitschelden, misbruiken, onteren, mishandelen, misbruik, mishandelingDutch
- misbrukNorwegian Nynorsk
- misbruk, utskjelling, voldtekt, mishandle, mishandling, misbruke, skjelle ut, voldtaNorwegian
- atéʼélʼíNavajo, Navaho
- nadużycie, znęcanie się, molestowaniePolish
- ultrajar, afrontar, abusar, enganar, abuso, ofender, insultarPortuguese
- злоупотребление, брань, злоупотреблять, злоупотребить, истязание, нападки, оскорблять, оскорбить, ругать, материть, изнасиловать, оскорбление, ругань, издевательство, издеваться, насилие, обижать, обидеть, обругать, обматерить, насиловатьRussian
- злоупотреба, злостављање, zlostavljanje, злоупотребити, zlostavljati, zloupotreba, zloupotrebiti, злостављатиSerbo-Croatian
- misshandel, missbruka, misshandla, missbrukSwedish
- abuso, panggagahasa, pagmamalupitTagalog
- migeb, nofön, lunofön, migebön, slanön, lenofönVolapük
Get even more translations for abuse »
Find a translation for the abuse synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)