a swift whirling motion (usually of a missile)
spin, twirl, twist, twisting, whirl(noun)
the act of rotating rapidly
"he gave the crank a spin"; "it broke off after much twisting"
bend, whirl, swirl, wind, twist, straining, convolution, tailspin, kink, braid, offer, wrench, crook, turn of events, tress, pull, winding, plait, vortex, go, crack, pass, construction, device, commotion, twirl, fling, torture, distortion, gimmick, turn, twisting, overrefinement, eddy
a short drive in a car
"he took the new car for a spin"
rapid descent of an aircraft in a steep spiral
a distinctive interpretation (especially as used by politicians to sway public opinion)
"the campaign put a favorable spin on the story"
spin, spin around, whirl, reel, gyrate(verb)
revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis
"The dervishes whirl around and around without getting dizzy"
stream in jets, of liquids
"The creek spun its course through the woods"
whirl, birl, spin, twirl(verb)
cause to spin
"spin a coin"
make up a story
"spin a yarn"
form a web by making a thread
"spiders spin a fine web"
work natural fibers into a thread
twist and turn so as to give an intended interpretation
"The President's spokesmen had to spin the story to make it less embarrassing"
spin, spin out(verb)
prolong or extend
"spin out a visit"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use spin in a sentence?
If it's purely a question of who's louder, the campaign -- with a casual relationship with the truth -- can take advantage of the mechanics of judicial proceedings to spin a narrative of how the proceedings are going, but only for so long.
I did notice that one of the cards from the original film that Boris Johnsons didnt hold up was the one where Andrew Lincoln held up a card saying because at Christmas you tell the truth, and I just wonder if the spin-doctors in the Tory party thought that was a card that wouldnt look too great in Boris Johnsons hands.
It could have been a doll, but I'm going to spin around.
Anything can happen, but I'm going with the bet that this won't impact spin-off of Alibaba shares for Yahoo Japan.
All of the characters are fictional, but inspired by my experiences through the years, all characters have a little bit of me in them. Of course our brilliant ‘Daytime Divas’ writers have added their creative spin to it ….
Translations for spin
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- efecte, espínCatalan, Valencian
- Spin, schönreden, spinnen, Trudeln, passende Auslegung, beschönigen, Beschönigung, Schönfärberei, positiv darstellen, Zurechtlegung, rotieren, Spritztour, DrallGerman
- hilar, sesgo positivo, giro, pintar bonito, vuelta, rotar, dorar la píldora, girar, barrena, espín, endulzarSpanish
- رشتن, اسپینPersian
- pyöriä, kierre, liike, pyörintä, kiertyä, lyödä, kaunistella, syöksykierre, spin, kehrätä, pyöriväFinnish
- vrille, filer, effet, tournoyer, brossage, spinFrench
- snìomhScottish Gaelic
- pörgés, forog, forgásHungarian
- filare, piroettare, far girare, ruotare, girareItalian
- スピン, 回転, 紡ぐ, きりもみJapanese
- spinnen, doen draaien, draaienDutch
- spinne, spinnNorwegian
- spin, obracać się, wirować, prząść, obrótPolish
- fiar, girarPortuguese
- învârti, toarceRomanian
- вращение, прясть, вертеться, [[искажать]] [[смысл]], сучить, вращаться, спин, спрясть, крутитьсяRussian
- прȅсти, prȅstiSerbo-Croatian
- spinn, snurra runt, spinna, snurra, skruvSwedish
- สปิน, หมุนThai
- eğirmek, dönmek, yaldızlamak, dolanmakTurkish
Get even more translations for spin »
Find a translation for the spin synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)