a swift whirling motion (usually of a missile)
spin, twirl, twist, twisting, whirlnoun
the act of rotating rapidly
"he gave the crank a spin"; "it broke off after much twisting"
bend, whirl, swirl, wind, twist, straining, convolution, tailspin, kink, braid, offer, wrench, crook, turn of events, tress, pull, winding, plait, vortex, go, crack, pass, construction, device, commotion, twirl, fling, torture, distortion, gimmick, turn, twisting, overrefinement, eddy
a short drive in a car
"he took the new car for a spin"
rapid descent of an aircraft in a steep spiral
a distinctive interpretation (especially as used by politicians to sway public opinion)
"the campaign put a favorable spin on the story"
spin, spin around, whirl, reel, gyrateverb
revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis
"The dervishes whirl around and around without getting dizzy"
stream in jets, of liquids
"The creek spun its course through the woods"
whirl, birl, spin, twirlverb
cause to spin
"spin a coin"
make up a story
"spin a yarn"
form a web by making a thread
"spiders spin a fine web"
work natural fibers into a thread
twist and turn so as to give an intended interpretation
"The President's spokesmen had to spin the story to make it less embarrassing"
spin, spin outverb
prolong or extend
"spin out a visit"
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use spin in a sentence?
We are very concerned about the violence and the potential for the situation to spin out of control.
There are laws in place that if they had been followed, that shooter could have been stopped so many times it makes your head spin. So passing more laws dealing with guns as a solution to a problem that exists within the enforcement of laws is just kind of silly.
We expect that our stock will move up in price and valuation over the next couple of quarters, just as with nearly every other spin, the implied value of Shire’s proposal is no different from what we think we can achieve on our own in the next six to 12 months, and our investors and analysts agree. In this environment, given our prospects and our outlook, Shire’s offer is not compelling.
Were it not Folly, Spider-like to spin The Thread of present Life away to win - What? for ourselves, who know not if we shall Breathe out the very Breath we now breathe in.
I was caught out a bit by surprise as I didn't expect to spin. I knew going in that I would have to catch the rear, but it didn't quite work, which was a bit unfortunate.
Translations for spin
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- efecte, espínCatalan, Valencian
- Spin, schönreden, spinnen, Trudeln, passende Auslegung, beschönigen, Beschönigung, Schönfärberei, positiv darstellen, Zurechtlegung, rotieren, Spritztour, DrallGerman
- hilar, sesgo positivo, giro, pintar bonito, vuelta, rotar, dorar la píldora, girar, barrena, espín, endulzarSpanish
- رشتن, اسپینPersian
- pyöriä, kierre, liike, pyörintä, kiertyä, lyödä, kaunistella, syöksykierre, spin, kehrätä, pyöriväFinnish
- vrille, filer, effet, tournoyer, brossage, spinFrench
- snìomhScottish Gaelic
- pörgés, forog, forgásHungarian
- filare, piroettare, far girare, ruotare, girareItalian
- スピン, 回転, 紡ぐ, きりもみJapanese
- spinnen, doen draaien, draaienDutch
- spinne, spinnNorwegian
- spin, obracać się, wirować, prząść, obrótPolish
- fiar, girarPortuguese
- învârti, toarceRomanian
- вращение, прясть, вертеться, [[искажать]] [[смысл]], сучить, вращаться, спин, спрясть, крутитьсяRussian
- прȅсти, prȅstiSerbo-Croatian
- spinn, snurra runt, spinna, snurra, skruvSwedish
- สปิน, หมุนThai
- eğirmek, dönmek, yaldızlamak, dolanmakTurkish
Get even more translations for spin »
Find a translation for the spin synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)