a swift whirling motion (usually of a missile)
spin, twirl, twist, twisting, whirl(noun)
the act of rotating rapidly
"he gave the crank a spin"; "it broke off after much twisting"
bend, whirl, swirl, wind, twist, straining, convolution, tailspin, kink, braid, offer, wrench, crook, turn of events, tress, pull, winding, plait, vortex, go, crack, pass, construction, device, commotion, twirl, fling, torture, distortion, gimmick, turn, twisting, overrefinement, eddy
a short drive in a car
"he took the new car for a spin"
rapid descent of an aircraft in a steep spiral
a distinctive interpretation (especially as used by politicians to sway public opinion)
"the campaign put a favorable spin on the story"
spin, spin around, whirl, reel, gyrate(verb)
revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis
"The dervishes whirl around and around without getting dizzy"
stream in jets, of liquids
"The creek spun its course through the woods"
whirl, birl, spin, twirl(verb)
cause to spin
"spin a coin"
make up a story
"spin a yarn"
form a web by making a thread
"spiders spin a fine web"
work natural fibers into a thread
twist and turn so as to give an intended interpretation
"The President's spokesmen had to spin the story to make it less embarrassing"
spin, spin out(verb)
prolong or extend
"spin out a visit"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use spin in a sentence?
Spin it that way, how lucky it was to stay in, (But) I should have made birdie there.
Summaries and spin will be much less credible than analysis supported by raw data that others can evaluate.
The professionalism of the operation surprised me. It felt like a round-the-clock operation putting out new content with fake thumbnails and headlines every few hours, when accounts were deleted or banned, they were able to spin up new accounts within hours. The tactics they used to game the YouTube algorithm were executed perfectly. They knew what they were doing.
We are very concerned about the violence and the potential for the situation to spin out of control.
They're not like games of chance, where no matter how skillful the player is, winning or losing almost always comes down to luck — whether it's the spin of a wheel, the roll of the dice, or the turn of the cards.
Translations for spin
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- efecte, espínCatalan, Valencian
- Spin, schönreden, spinnen, Trudeln, passende Auslegung, beschönigen, Beschönigung, Schönfärberei, positiv darstellen, Zurechtlegung, rotieren, Spritztour, DrallGerman
- hilar, sesgo positivo, giro, pintar bonito, vuelta, rotar, dorar la píldora, girar, barrena, espín, endulzarSpanish
- رشتن, اسپینPersian
- pyöriä, kierre, liike, pyörintä, kiertyä, lyödä, kaunistella, syöksykierre, spin, kehrätä, pyöriväFinnish
- vrille, filer, effet, tournoyer, brossage, spinFrench
- snìomhScottish Gaelic
- pörgés, forog, forgásHungarian
- filare, piroettare, far girare, ruotare, girareItalian
- スピン, 回転, 紡ぐ, きりもみJapanese
- spinnen, doen draaien, draaienDutch
- spinne, spinnNorwegian
- spin, obracać się, wirować, prząść, obrótPolish
- fiar, girarPortuguese
- învârti, toarceRomanian
- вращение, прясть, вертеться, [[искажать]] [[смысл]], сучить, вращаться, спин, спрясть, крутитьсяRussian
- прȅсти, prȅstiSerbo-Croatian
- spinn, snurra runt, spinna, snurra, skruvSwedish
- สปิน, หมุนThai
- eğirmek, dönmek, yaldızlamak, dolanmakTurkish
Get even more translations for spin »
Find a translation for the spin synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)