an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
"the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
something in an artistic work designed to achieve a particular effect
device, gimmick, twist(noun)
any clever maneuver
"he would stoop to any device to win a point"; "it was a great sales gimmick"; "a cheap promotions gimmick for greedy businessmen"
spin, construction, widget, doodad, doohickey, gismo, twist, thingummy, thingmajig, whatsis, whirl, kink, eddy, thingamabob, bend, thingumajig, whatchamacallit, wrench, crook, turn of events, tress, pull, winding, plait, doojigger, gimmick, braid, thingamajig, twirl, thingumabob, catch, thingmabob, turn, twisting, wind, gubbins, whatchamacallum, gizmo
any ornamental pattern or design (as in embroidery)
an emblematic design (especially in heraldry)
"he was recognized by the device on his shield"
Any piece of equipment made for a particular purpose, especially a mechanical or electrical one.
There are a number of household devices in a kitchen such as a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, or an electric can opener.
A project or scheme, often designed to deceive; a stratagem; an artifice.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A contrivance or device may be either good or bad. A cheat is a mean advantage in a bargain; a fraud, any form of covert robbery or injury. Imposture is a deceitful contrivance for securing charity, credit, or consideration. A stratagem or maneuver may be of the good against the bad, as it were a skilful movement of war. A wile is usually but not necessarily evil.
E'en children followed with endearing wile.
GoldsmithDeserted Village, l. 184.
A trick is often low, injurious, and malicious; we say a mean trick; the word is sometimes used playfully with less than its full meaning. A ruse or a blind may be quite innocent and harmless. An artifice is a carefully and delicately prepared contrivance for doing indirectly what one could not well do directly. A device is something studied out for promoting an end, as in a mechanism; the word is used of indirect action, often, but not necessarily directed to an evil, selfish, or injurious end. Finesse is especially subtle contrivance, delicate artifice, whether for good or evil. Compare FRAUD.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use device in a sentence?
It's not only about technological challenges, but also about awareness, people should trust this device, that's also really important, and I think for all that to happen it will take 15 years or something.
Surgery is the only way to cure this cancer, yet many patients cannot undergo surgery because the tumor is too advanced and may involve critical blood vessels, the device could be implanted to initially shrink the tumors so that patients who couldn't get surgery would now be able to, and patients undergoing surgery may have better tumor clearance.
The reason the British government advised all airlines to stop flying to Sharm is that they believed there was a device in the hold of the Metrojet aircraft, they had inside intelligence giving them that information, so that's not surprising to anybody in the airline industry, given that the British government took very strong action immediately. Clearly, that is why security has got to be enhanced at Sharm el-Sheikh.
We've put the caution out before, make sure that you use the charger that comes with the battery, and make sure the charger has a shutoff device, an automatic shutoff device, so it's not overcharged. That's typically the biggest issue which causes batteries to fail.
The new device has a magnetic actuator, so it’s an expandable rod so once it’s implanted it’s not necessary to go back in with another operation to lengthen it, simply using a magnetic actuator can actually lengthen the rods slowly through the patient’s skin without having to do an operation.
Translations for device
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أداة, جهازArabic
- прыстасава́нне, прыла́даBelarusian
- девиз, устро́йство, прое́кт, план, приспособле́ниеBulgarian
- dispositiu, mecanismeCatalan, Valencian
- Hilfsmittel, Vorrichtung, Emblem, Instrument, Einrichtung, Devise, Baustein, Gerät, Apparat, Marke, Kunstgriff, Motto, EinheitGerman
- συσκευή, τέχνασμα, μεταφορά, έμβλημαGreek
- aparato, intrigoEsperanto
- mecanismo, dispositivoSpanish
- tehokeino, tunnus, suunnitelma, juoni, laite, tunnusmerkkiFinnish
- artifice, appareil, stratagème, ruse, manœuvre, dispositifFrench
- cleasScottish Gaelic
- מכשיר, מתקן, אמצעי רטוריHebrew
- eszköz, mód, készülék, szerkezet, gépezetHungarian
- սարք, սարքավորումArmenian
- inscrizione, procedimento, apparecchio, emblema, periferica, congegno, coccarda, dispositivo, mottoItalian
- デバイス, 装置Japanese
- у́ред, девиза, фигу́ра, сре́дствоMacedonian
- alat, perantiMalay
- apparaat, toestelDutch
- urządzenie, przyrządPolish
- aparato, aparelho, dispositivoPortuguese
- dispozitiv, element, componentă, aparat, unitate, piesăRomanian
- зате́я, деви́з, прибо́р, уло́вка, дева́йс, эмбле́ма, план, приём, га́джет, прое́кт, приспособле́ние, фигу́ра, аппара́т, ма́рка, схе́ма, устро́йство, сре́дство, механи́змRussian
- уређај, uređajSerbo-Croatian
- redskap, retorisk figur, husgeråd, devis, apparat, knep, plan, föresatsSwedish
- alet, cihaz, aygıtTurkish
Get even more translations for device »
Find a translation for the device synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)