Any piece of equipment made for a particular purpose, especially a mechanical or electrical one.
There are a number of household devices in a kitchen such as a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, or an electric can opener.
A project or scheme, often designed to deceive; a stratagem; an artifice.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A contrivance or device may be either good or bad. A cheat is a mean advantage in a bargain; a fraud, any form of covert robbery or injury. Imposture is a deceitful contrivance for securing charity, credit, or consideration. A stratagem or maneuver may be of the good against the bad, as it were a skilful movement of war. A wile is usually but not necessarily evil.
E'en children followed with endearing wile.
GoldsmithDeserted Village, l. 184.
A trick is often low, injurious, and malicious; we say a mean trick; the word is sometimes used playfully with less than its full meaning. A ruse or a blind may be quite innocent and harmless. An artifice is a carefully and delicately prepared contrivance for doing indirectly what one could not well do directly. A device is something studied out for promoting an end, as in a mechanism; the word is used of indirect action, often, but not necessarily directed to an evil, selfish, or injurious end. Finesse is especially subtle contrivance, delicate artifice, whether for good or evil. Compare FRAUD.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
"the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
something in an artistic work designed to achieve a particular effect
device, gimmick, twistnoun
any clever maneuver
"he would stoop to any device to win a point"; "it was a great sales gimmick"; "a cheap promotions gimmick for greedy businessmen"
spin, construction, widget, doodad, doohickey, gismo, twist, thingummy, thingmajig, whatsis, whirl, kink, eddy, thingamabob, bend, thingumajig, whatchamacallit, wrench, crook, turn of events, tress, pull, winding, plait, doojigger, gimmick, braid, thingamajig, twirl, thingumabob, catch, thingmabob, turn, twisting, wind, gubbins, whatchamacallum, gizmo
any ornamental pattern or design (as in embroidery)
an emblematic design (especially in heraldry)
"he was recognized by the device on his shield"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of known nicknames for "Device":
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use device in a sentence?
This is a fairly simple external device that can get damaged on a regular basis, that's important because Ethiopian Airlines made the decision to rely on them as single sources for streams of data.
These were two relatively sophisticated devices that went off almost simultaneously. They had a very, very short delay, it would be my opinion that they had somebody who was more of a skilled bomb maker, an engineer if you will, assist them in saying these are the steps you need to go through and then assemble the device to make it safely and to make it function the way they want.
We love being in the market talking about how premium OTT ads are because they are running on a 55-inch television and they are 100 percent viewable, we also like to talk about the fact that it's a shared device because there are more people in the living room.
While explicit forward guidance was used as a policy tool during the recession and earlier in the recovery, in more normal times, away from the zero lower bound, I believe forward guidance should be viewed more as a communications device, as such, I would like to see the forward guidance evolve over time to give more information about the conditions we systematically assess in calibrating the stance of policy to the economy's actual progress and anticipated progress toward our dual-mandate goals.
They should not use permissions that give access to user or device data for undisclosed, unimplemented, or disallowed features or purposes.
Translations for device
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أداة, جهازArabic
- прыстасава́нне, прыла́даBelarusian
- девиз, устро́йство, прое́кт, план, приспособле́ниеBulgarian
- dispositiu, mecanismeCatalan, Valencian
- Hilfsmittel, Vorrichtung, Emblem, Instrument, Einrichtung, Devise, Baustein, Gerät, Apparat, Marke, Kunstgriff, Motto, EinheitGerman
- συσκευή, τέχνασμα, μεταφορά, έμβλημαGreek
- aparato, intrigoEsperanto
- mecanismo, dispositivoSpanish
- tehokeino, tunnus, suunnitelma, juoni, laite, tunnusmerkkiFinnish
- artifice, appareil, stratagème, ruse, manœuvre, dispositifFrench
- cleasScottish Gaelic
- מכשיר, מתקן, אמצעי רטוריHebrew
- eszköz, mód, készülék, szerkezet, gépezetHungarian
- սարք, սարքավորումArmenian
- inscrizione, procedimento, apparecchio, emblema, periferica, congegno, coccarda, dispositivo, mottoItalian
- デバイス, 装置Japanese
- у́ред, девиза, фигу́ра, сре́дствоMacedonian
- alat, perantiMalay
- apparaat, toestelDutch
- urządzenie, przyrządPolish
- aparato, aparelho, dispositivoPortuguese
- dispozitiv, element, componentă, aparat, unitate, piesăRomanian
- зате́я, деви́з, прибо́р, уло́вка, дева́йс, эмбле́ма, план, приём, га́джет, прое́кт, приспособле́ние, фигу́ра, аппара́т, ма́рка, схе́ма, устро́йство, сре́дство, механи́змRussian
- уређај, uređajSerbo-Croatian
- redskap, retorisk figur, husgeråd, devis, apparat, knep, plan, föresatsSwedish
- alet, cihaz, aygıtTurkish
Get even more translations for device »
Find a translation for the device synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)