wrench, twist, pull(noun)
a sharp strain on muscles or ligaments
"the wrench to his knee occurred as he fell"; "he was sidelined with a hamstring pull"
turn, turn of events, spanner, drag, construction, device, gimmick, spin, twist, bend, clout, twisting, winding, wind, eddy, whirl, pulling, twirl, pull, braid, puff, tress, kink, crook, plait
a jerky pulling movement
a hand tool that is used to hold or twist a nut or bolt
twist or pull violently or suddenly, especially so as to remove (something) from that to which it is attached or from where it originates
"wrench a window off its hinges"; "wrench oneself free from somebody's grip"; "a deep sigh was wrenched from his chest"
make a sudden twisting motion
twist and compress, as if in pain or anguish
"Wring one's hand"
twist, sprain, wrench, turn, wrick, rick(verb)
twist suddenly so as to sprain
"wrench one's ankle"; "The wrestler twisted his shoulder"; "the hikers sprained their ankles when they fell"; "I turned my ankle and couldn't walk for several days"
bend, wriggle, wrick, wind, deform, change state, twist, release, rick, wring, call on, worm, flex, convolute, writhe, move around, become, grow, turn, sour, sophisticate, work, sprain, curve, twist around, change by reversal, twine, distort, wrestle, turn over, reverse, plow, ferment, squirm, pervert, plough
a hand tool for making rotational adjustments, such as fitting nuts and bolts, or fitting pipes.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use wrench in a sentence?
When we change the time by one hour, it throws a monkey wrench into our circadian process, the following Monday, we've discovered that people have about 40 minutes less sleep. Because we're already short on sleep to begin with, the effects of even 40 minutes are noticeable.
It does throw a little bit of wrench into things, to the extent that individuals are relying on the refund any delay is going to be a negative.
Time for the weather report. It's cold out folks. Bonecrushing cold. The kind of cold which will wrench the spirit out of a young man, or forge it into steel.
The initial surge in bookings, there was probably some pent-up demand in there. There's no doubt that the increase in [ Covid-19 ] cases and quarantines throws a monkey wrench into it.
The doctor said,' It's going to give you the best chance to get back to an active lifestyle and, hopefully, racing professionally again.' they literally get four titanium screws and a torque wrench and tighten them into your skull with just a local anesthetic. Every time a screw comes loose, they screw it deeper into your skull. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.
Translations for wrench
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مفتاح الربطArabic
- Drehbewegung, drehen, verrenken, Schraubenschlüssel, SchlüsselGerman
- γαλλικο ΚΛΕΙΔΙGreek
- ŝraŭbŝlosilo, tordoEsperanto
- llave, llave de tuerca, llave inglesa, tirónSpanish
- nyrjäyttää, huijaus, kiintoavain, keino, vääntö, temppu, nyrjähdys, petos, vinssi, petkutus, vintturiFinnish
- clé de serrage, clef à écrous, clef, arracher, clé, serre-écrouFrench
- sníomh, freangIrish
- snìomhScottish Gaelic
- csavarkulcs, villáskulcs, rántás, franciakulcs, ránt, rándít, rángat, kificamít, rándítás, ficamításHungarian
- kungris, kunci inggrisIndonesian
- slogare, slogatura, strappo, chiave, torcere, spinta, storcere, chiave piatta, dolore, storta, chiave inglese, serradadi, strazio, strattoneItalian
- מפתח ברגיםHebrew
- スパナ, レンチJapanese
- извиткување, исчашување, одвртувач, клучMacedonian
- moersleutel, verdriet, schroefsleutel, verstuiken, omslaan, afbreken, los/vastdraaien, loswringen, sleutel, Engelse sleutel, ruk, verzwikken, moeilijk afscheidDutch
- chave inglesaPortuguese
- răsucire, [[cheie]] [[fixă]]Romanian
- вывёртывать, разводной ключ, дёргать, вывихнуть, ключ, вырывать, выкручивать, тянуть, гаечный ключRussian
- förvridning, ryck, skiftnyckel, bändning, vridningSwedish
Get even more translations for wrench »
Find a translation for the wrench synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)