To eat quickly, greedily, hungrily, or ravenously.
To rapidly destroy, engulf, or lay waste.
The fire was devouring the building.
To take in avidly with the intellect.
She intended to devour the book.
To absorb or engross the mind fully, especially in a destructive manner.
After the death of his wife, he was devoured by grief.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
"Fire had devoured our home"
"She devoured his novels"
devour, down, consume, go throughverb
"Some people can down a pound of meat in the course of one meal"
land, take in, eat up, pull down, exhaust, ware, put through, eat, pass, push down, kill, go through, follow out, take, have, belt down, waste, use up, drink down, see, shoot down, cut down, ingest, go across, run through, toss off, pour down, follow up, follow through, squander, guttle, wipe out, carry out, down, bolt down, refine, raven, experience, pop, work through, fine-tune, knock down, consume, pig, implement, deplete, polish
devour, guttle, raven, pigverb
"he devoured three sandwiches"
eating with breathtaking ferocity .
i’m so hungry im going to mop this plate!Submitted by rinat on August 15, 2019
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use devour in a sentence?
Five daily newspapers arrive in my California driveway. The New York times and the Wall Street Journal are supplemented by three local papers. As for magazines, I read, or at least skim, Business Week, Forbes, The Economist, INC; Industry Week, Fortune. Other subscriptions include Sales and Marketing Management, Modern Health Care, Progressive Grocer, High Tech Business, and Slaon Management Review from MIT. I religiously read Business Tokyo, Asia Week, and Far Eastern Economic Review. I glance at Newsweek and Time ... but I devour the New Republic, Policy Review, Foreign Affairs, The Washington Monthly, and Public Interest. How about books? A dozen or more each month.
1. We feel like we are drowning We feel like we are drowning and dissolving in nonsense, as if scattering in inevitability, we cease to exist. And feel the meaning. We stop breathing, choking on inevitability. 2. Life is literally everywhere Life is literally everywhere. All this looks like a single mechanism. Systematic movement of impulses, instincts. One network of karma. It is an endless tunnel of life. Where all destinies are linked to each other. All this is at home like microcircuits of society. In this I see a new manifestation of the universe of life. 3. Do you hear jazz You hear jazz. How the music sounds piercing your mind and thinking. Jazz is an energy that dissolves your brain and throws your thoughts into the abyss. As if the cigarette smoke is all that remains of our thoughts that burn out in us. This is the mood of the soul. This is the silence of the city and the romance of life. 4. Not being collected within is life within. Fauna of wild instincts that devour each other. Flora of emotions and feelings. Romantic landscapes of impressions. The evolution of thinking in one century. 5. Corporate giants Corporate giants are drifting away from reality. Cynicism forms levitation in them, progress forms in us oblivion in egoism. Cynicism is a low intellect in which we supposedly have to earn the recognition of a fool. Floating buildings are pure cynicism. It is levitation in dreams of greatness. Many of their own universe of skyscrapers are being formed where each floor is a stage of cynicism and blindness of the spirit. The universe is losing the basis of spiritual thinking. 6. Thinking is Thinking is a philosophical blender for awareness. It is insight that brings healing to our minds. 7. The brain as the basis of the technocracy of logic. It forms the details and the process of knowing the experience. 8. The brain is a looking glass of instincts. A mirror that distorts the truth with a vivid imagination of fear. Only love is a bridge with the outside world. 9. Lonely people move in the void of nonsense. 10. We endure a whole storm of illusions within ourselves. A storm born of fear and despair. Like an explosion leading into hyperspace where hundreds of millions of fear scenarios are played. It’s like cinema, and you are a screenwriter who endures it as if wears virtual glasses. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
Those who are destroying the Amazon are the big farms, and it's those big farmers who made (Bolsonaro) president. Now, they think they can deforest and burn and devour everything.
The rich devour the poor, and the devil devours the rich and so both are devoured.
The rich devour the poor and the devil devours the rich and so both are devoured.
Translations for devour
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- поглъщам, ям лакомоBulgarian
- devorarCatalan, Valencian
- pohltit, hltat, zhltnoutCzech
- verschlingen, fressenGerman
- manĝegi, voriEsperanto
- jambar, devorarSpanish
- zabál, falHungarian
- horomiti, whāō, ngūngūMāori
- vreten, verslinden, schransenDutch
- pożerać, pożrećPolish
- лопать, жратьRussian
Get even more translations for devour »
Find a translation for the devour synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)