a small amount of liquid food
"a sup of ale"
swallow, drink, deglutition(noun)
the act of swallowing
"one swallow of the liquid was enough"; "he took a drink of his beer and smacked his lips"
small long-winged songbird noted for swift graceful flight and the regularity of its migrations
swallow, get down(verb)
pass through the esophagus as part of eating or drinking
"Swallow the raw fish--it won't kill you!"
start, write down, eat up, bring down, get off, get, lower, demoralise, commence, dispirit, get down, demoralize, take back, deject, swallow up, unsay, take down, set down, dismount, bury, put down, begin, accept, let down, cast down, start out, depress, live with, withdraw, immerse, dismay, light, set about, unhorse, set out
engulf and destroy
"The Nazis swallowed the Baltic countries"
immerse, swallow, swallow up, bury, eat up(verb)
enclose or envelop completely, as if by swallowing
"The huge waves swallowed the small boat and it sank shortly thereafter"
deplete, take back, exhaust, bury, engross, get down, accept, withdraw, unsay, finish, engulf, inhume, eat up, entomb, live with, absorb, run through, forget, immerse, swallow up, sink, eat, consume, lay to rest, soak up, wipe out, polish off, steep, plunge, inter, use up
"She swallowed the last words of her speech"
swallow, take back, unsay, withdraw(verb)
take back what one has said
"He swallowed his words"
bring back, eat up, sequester, repossess, seclude, back away, crawfish out, return, crawfish, retreat, get down, take, call in, back out, retire, take back, pull away, take out, swallow up, unsay, bow out, draw back, recede, bury, recall, move back, call back, sequestrate, draw, draw off, accept, take away, adjourn, disengage, withdraw, immerse, pull back, live with, pull in one's horns, remove
keep from expressing
"I swallowed my anger and kept quiet"
accept, live with, swallow(verb)
tolerate or accommodate oneself to
"I shall have to accept these unpleasant working conditions"; "I swallowed the insult"; "She has learned to live with her husband's little idiosyncrasies"
believe or accept without questioning or challenge
"Am I supposed to swallow that story?"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
A fluid that is absorbed is taken up into the mass of the absorbing body, with which it may or may not permanently combine. Wood expands when it absorbs moisture, iron when it absorbs heat, the substance remaining perhaps otherwise substantially unchanged; quicklime, when it absorbs water, becomes a new substance with different qualities, hydrated or slaked lime. A substance is consumed which is destructively appropriated by some other substance, being, or agency, so that it ceases to exist or to be recognized as existing in its original condition; fuel is consumed in the fire, food in the body; consume is also applied to whatever is removed from the market for individual use; as, silk and woolen goods are consumed. A great talker engrosses the conversation. A credulous person swallows the most preposterous statement. A busy student imbibes or drinks in knowledge; he is absorbed in a subject that takes his whole attention. "I only postponed it because I happened to get absorbed in a book."
KaneGrinnell Exped. ch. 43, page 403. [ Harper & Bros.'54.]
Plants absorb moisture from the air; the student is absorbed in thought; nutriment may be absorbed into the system through the skin.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use swallow in a sentence?
Biden also received another glowing endorsement from his own wife. She told voters to hold their nose, swallow a littleand make the sensible choice.
To love all or to live for others is never onerous i.e. it doesn't require a great deal of effort. Yes! what it takes is just to swallow up your own pride/interest/comfort/right and as well to realize that life is not meant to be all about you. In other words, you should take into consideration someone else's or other people's needs/interest/well-being/welfare.
The coincidence is just a little too much, it's just a little hard to swallow.
Every man has his price." This is not true. But for every man there exists a bait which he cannot resist swallowing. To win over certain people to something, it is only necessary to give it a gloss of love of humanity, nobility, gentleness, self-sacrifice - and there is nothing you cannot get them to swallow. To their souls, these are the icing, the tidbit; other kinds of souls have others.
Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers, and destroyers press upon them so fast, that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon the American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour. The revenue creates pensioners, and the pensioners urge for more revenue. The people grow less steady, spirited, and virtuous, the seekers more numerous and more corrupt, and every day increases the circles of their dependents and expectants, until virtue, integrity, public spirit, simplicity, and frugality, become the objects of ridicule and scorn, and vanity, luxury, foppery, selfishness, meanness, and downright venality swallow up the whole society.
Translations for swallow
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- sluk, swavelAfrikaans
- سنونو, بلع, جرعArabic
- ластаўка, каўтаць, глытацьBelarusian
- лястовица, гълтамBulgarian
- enviar, engolir, engoliment, orenetaCatalan, Valencian
- spolknout, polknout, lok, hlt, vlaštovka, polykatCzech
- gwennol, llyncuWelsh
- svale, landsvaleDanish
- Schwalbe, schluckenGerman
- καταπίνω, χελιδόνιGreek
- gluti, hirundo, englutiEsperanto
- comérselo, engullir, golondrina, deglutir, tragar, ingurgitarSpanish
- پرستو, بلعیدن, چلچله, اوباردن, ابابیلPersian
- nielaus, pääskynen, nielaista, niellä, kulausFinnish
- avaler, déglutir, digérer, hirondelleFrench
- swel, boereswelWestern Frisian
- gòbhlan-gaoithe, sluigScottish Gaelic
- gollan geayeeManx
- fecske, nyelHungarian
- կուլ տալ, ծիծեռնակArmenian
- hirundine, glutir, ingurgitar, inglutir, deglutirInterlingua
- menelan, menenggakIndonesian
- glutar, hirundoIdo
- svala, landsvalaIcelandic
- rondine, deglutire, accettare, ingerire, assorbire, inghiottire, consumare, crederciItalian
- 飲み込む, ツバメ, つばめ, 燕Japanese
- ყლაპვა, მერცხალი, ყლაპავსGeorgian
- 제비, 삼키다Korean
- dabilandin, daûrandin, pejirandin, qurt, hechecik, çal, hacîreşk, daqurtandin, qurç, پهڕهسێلکه, kend, dûmeqesk, nîçKurdish
- Schmuebel, SchmuelefLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- ластовичка, ластовицаMacedonian
- svelg, svelge, avgrunn, svale, slukeNorwegian
- slok, zwaluw, slikken, boerenzwaluw, doorslikkenDutch
- sluke, svelgje, svelg, avgrunn, svaleNorwegian Nynorsk
- táshchozhiiNavajo, Navaho
- ironda, randoletaOccitan
- jaskółka, połykać, połknąć, dymówkaPolish
- andorinha, engolir, deglutirPortuguese
- irundeala, randulina, hirondellaRomansh
- rândunea, lăstun, înghiți, rândunicăRomanian
- проглотить, глото́к, ласточка, глотнуть, глотатьRussian
- arrùndine, arrùndini, mongixeddaSardinian
- gutljaj, ласта, гутати, прогутати, lastavica, progutati, gutati, гутљај, ластавица, lastaSerbo-Croatian
- lastovička, hltaťSlovak
- lastovka, pogoltniti, požirati, lastovicaSlovene
- dallëndyshja, gëlltit, gëlltisAlbanian
- ladusvala, svala, sväljaSwedish
- meza, mbayuwayuSwahili
- మింగు, తినుTelugu
- นางแอ่น, กลืนThai
- yutmak, yutkunmak, inanmak, kır kırlangıcı, almak, kabul etmek, tüketmek, kabullenmekTurkish
- ластівка, ковтатиUkrainian
- chim nhạn, nuốtVietnamese
- houmer, acroere, oronde, goirdjî, avalerWalloon
Get even more translations for swallow »
Find a translation for the swallow synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)