Synonyms for marry
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term marry.
To enter into the conjugal or connubial state; to take a husband or a wife.
Neither of her daughters showed any desire to marry.
To be joined to (someone) as spouse according to law or custom.
To dispose of in wedlock; to give away as wife or husband.
To take for husband or wife.
In some cultures, it is acceptable for an uncle to marry his niece.
Figuratively, to unite in the closest and most endearing relation.
The attempt to marry medieval plainsong with speed metal produced interesting results.
To unite in wedlock or matrimony; to perform the ceremony of joining spouses, ostensibly for life; to constitute a marital union according to the laws or customs of the place.
A justice of the peace will marry Jones and Smith.
marry, get married, wed, conjoin, hook up with, get hitched with, espouseverb
take in marriage
marry, wed, tie, spliceverb
perform a marriage ceremony
"The minister married us on Saturday"; "We were wed the following week"; "The couple got spliced on Hawaii"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
Remember, that if thou marry for beauty, thou bindest thyself all thy life for that which perchance will neither last nor please thee one year and when thou hast it, it will be to thee of no price at all for the desire dieth when it is attained, and the affection perisheth when it is satisfied.
Jared, you're such an inspiration, you've shown everybody that if you are born rich and marry my daughter, you can do anything you want.
My job at The White House now is to help marry the full force of the federal government with the full power of private enterprise to mobilize our industrial base and thereby quickly get what we need, most urgently Personal Protective Equipment such as masks and gloves and testing kit element like swabs, it's been enormously helpful that the President signed the DPA last week. We've seen a noticeable uptick in the intensity of that mobilization, and my office is using the DPA every day as quiet leverage to turbocharge the great outpouring of volunteer efforts from the business community.
No man worth his salt, no man of spirit and spine, no man for whom I could have any respect, could rejoice in the identification of Tallulah's husband. It's tough enough to be bogged down in a legend. It would be even tougher to marry one.
I would rather marry a good man, a man of mind, with a hope and bright prospects ahead for position, fame and power than to marry all the houses, gold and bones in the world.
Translations for marry
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- жаніцца, ажаніццаBelarusian
- casar-se, casar, pegarCatalan, Valencian
- gifte sigDanish
- heiraten, verheiratenGerman
- παντρεύω, παντρεύομαιGreek
- casar, casarseSpanish
- ازدواج کردنPersian
- naittaa, mennä naimisiin, naida, yhdistää, vihkiäFinnish
- se marier, marier, épouser, être mariéFrench
- pòsScottish Gaelic
- शादी करनाHindi
- megnősül, férjhez megyHungarian
- ամուսնանալ, ամուսնացնելArmenian
- kvæna, gifta, vígja, gefa samanIcelandic
- sposarsi, sposareItalian
- marito, nubere, maritorLatin
- bestuedenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- gifte segNorwegian
- trouwen, huwen, zich in de echt verbinden, in de echt verbindenDutch
- żenić się, ożenić sięPolish
- kasaray, sawayQuechua
- căsători, însura, mărita, cununaRomanian
- выйти замуж, брать в жёны, пожениться, жениться, выходить замуж, взять в жёныRussian
- sposai, cojare, cojuare, couare, cozare, cogiare, isposare, cojai, cosuare, cojubare, cojuvare, isposai, cogiuareSardinian
- martoj, martohemAlbanian
- gifta sig, gifta, viga, förena, ingå äktenskap, förena i äktenskap, gifta bortSwedish
- పెళ్ళాడు, పెళ్ళి చేసుకొను, పెళ్ళి చేయుTelugu
- สมรส, แต่งงานกับ, แต่งงานThai
- evlenmek, evlendirmekTurkish
- شادی کرناUrdu
- lập gia đình, lấy vợ, cưới, kết hôn, lấy chồng, gảVietnamese
- חתונה האָבןYiddish
Get even more translations for marry »
Find a translation for the marry synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"marry." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 7 Feb. 2023. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/marry>.