look, appear, seem(verb)
give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect
"She seems to be sleeping"; "This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "This project looks fishy"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
come into sight or view
"He suddenly appeared at the wedding"; "A new star appeared on the horizon"
appear, come out(verb)
be issued or published
"Did your latest book appear yet?"; "The new Woody Allen film hasn't come out yet"
start, seem, bulge out, come forward, step up, come along, fall out, break through, out, go forth, come on, come out of the closet, bulge, surface, come in, step forward, step to the fore, pop out, place, egress, bug out, come to the fore, push through, erupt, turn out, emerge, show up, turn up, pop, issue, protrude, come out, come forth, look
seem to be true, probable, or apparent
"It seems that he is very gifted"; "It appears that the weather in California is very bad"
appear, come along(verb)
come into being or existence, or appear on the scene
"Then the computer came along and changed our lives"; "Homo sapiens appeared millions of years ago"
appear as a character on stage or appear in a play, etc.
"Gielgud appears briefly in this movie"; "She appeared in `Hamlet' on the London stage"
present oneself formally, as before a (judicial) authority
"He had to appear in court last month"; "She appeared on several charges of theft"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Appear and look refer to what manifests itself to the senses; to a semblance or probability presented directly to the mind. Seem applies to what is manifest to the mind on reflection. It suddenly appears to me that there is smoke in the distance; as I watch, it looks like a fire; from my knowledge of the locality and observation of particulars, it seems to me a farmhouse must be burning.
Appear at the front; among the first; on or upon the surface; to the eye; in evidence, in print; from reports; near the harbor; before the public; in appropriate dress; with the insignia of his rank; above the clouds; below the surface; under the lee; over the sea; through the mist; appear for, in behalf of, or against one in court.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use appear in a sentence?
Adversity may initially appear as the enemy, however somewhere along it's journey it will reappear in the form of a friend, bringing about positive personal change.
The woman, who experienced financial difficulties and periods of homelessness over several years, was charged with seven Failure to Appear offenses for missing court dates or fine payments on her parking tickets between 2007 and 2010.
If surveillance cameras are placed in public places, there's no problem -- they can monitor and deter unlawful acts. But they shouldn't appear in our private spaces, i can't bear the thought that our everyday lives are completely exposed to the government's scrutiny.
#3530. That which does not appear to exist is to be regarded as if it did not exist.
Present-moment living, getting in touch with your now, is at the heart of effective living. When you think about it, there really is no other moment you can live. Now is all there is, and the future is just another present moment to live when it arrives. One thing is certain, you cannot live it until it does appear.
Translations for appear
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ظهر, بدا, يبدوArabic
- з’явіцца, з’яўляццаBelarusian
- явявам се, появявам се, показвам сеBulgarian
- aparèixer, sortir, semblarCatalan, Valencian
- objevit, vypadatCzech
- aussehen, erscheinen, einleuchten, auftreten, auftauchenGerman
- εμφανίζομαι, φαίνομαιGreek
- aperi, aspektiEsperanto
- parecer, aparecer, comparecerSpanish
- به نظر می رسدPersian
- näyttää, ilmestyäFinnish
- paraître, apparaître, semblerFrench
- coimhead, nochdScottish Gaelic
- הופיע, נראהHebrew
- sanbleHaitian Creole
- látszik, megjelenik, tűnik, feltűnikHungarian
- aparar, aspektarIdo
- birtast, birtaIcelandic
- ように見える, 思われる, 現れる, らしい, そうJapanese
- compareo, prodeo, provenio, simulo, coorior, similo, orior, videor, appareo, pareo, prodioLatin
- whakaaranga, tahakua, pokeMāori
- verschijnen, haar opwachting maken, optreden, blijken, lijken, zijn opwachting makenDutch
- pojawić się, zdawać się, pojawiać się, zjawiać się, zjawić sięPolish
- semelhar, surgir, comparecer, aparecer, parecer, aparentarPortuguese
- apărea, părea, da impresiaRomanian
- предстать, появляться, видеться, появиться, являться, показаться, казаться, привидеться, явиться, представатьRussian
- pojaviti, ukazati, doći, nastupiti, istupitiSerbo-Croatian
- framträda, se ut, komma i ljuset, komma i dagen, dyka uppSwedish
- з'являтися, з'явитисяUkrainian
Get even more translations for appear »
Find a translation for the appear synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)