expression, look, aspect, facial expression, face(noun)
the feelings expressed on a person's face
"a sad expression"; "a look of triumph"; "an angry face"
construction, font, formula, verbalism, case, cheek, reflection, aspect, reflexion, smell, manifestation, view, fount, saying, vista, nerve, locution, facet, verbal expression, grammatical construction, facial expression, prospect, formulation, scene, spirit, side, tone, panorama, feel, facial gesture, brass, boldness, flavour, face, feeling, grimace, expression, looking at, human face, looking, flavor, typeface
look, looking, looking at(noun)
the act of directing the eyes toward something and perceiving it visually
"he went out to have a look"; "his look was fixed on her eyes"; "he gave it a good looking at"; "his camera does his looking for him"
"I don't like the looks of this place"
spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell(verb)
the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
"the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
looking at, pure tone, touch, tactile property, life, timber, olfactory perception, timbre, sprightliness, step, tone of voice, smell, olfactory property, aspect, disembodied spirit, savor, feel, quality, tactile sensation, whole tone, impression, touch sensation, scent, aroma, savour, opinion, belief, olfactory sensation, sense of smell, facial expression, odour, shade, spirit, emotional state, tonicity, tone, sapidity, whole step, olfaction, flavour, heart, smack, tang, olfactory modality, odor, tonus, tincture, intent, feeling, tactual sensation, expression, notion, intuitive feeling, purport, relish, looking, flavor, face, musical note, liveliness, smelling, tint, note
perceive with attention; direct one's gaze towards
"She looked over the expanse of land"; "Look at your child!"; "Look--a deer in the backyard!"
look, appear, seem(verb)
give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect
"She seems to be sleeping"; "This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "This project looks fishy"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
have a certain outward or facial expression
"How does she look?"; "The child looks unhappy"; "She looked pale after the surgery"
search or seek
"We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest"; "Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"
front, look, face(verb)
be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to
"The house looks north"; "My backyard look onto the pond"; "The building faces the park"
attend, take care, look, see(verb)
take charge of or deal with
"Could you see about lunch?"; "I must attend to this matter"; "She took care of this business"
date, experience, bet, figure, seem, go out, give ear, hear, attend to, reckon, examine, go through, mind, witness, find, view, go steady, take in, get word, consider, pay heed, meet, expect, visualize, check, construe, encounter, determine, see, find out, see to it, project, picture, front, search, depend, catch, regard, calculate, realise, control, go to, escort, assure, envision, watch, await, run into, count, run across, come across, get a line, visualise, image, face, get wind, ensure, attend, pick up, understand, hang, serve, ascertain, advert, wait, appear, interpret, learn, realize, assist, visit, fancy, discover, insure, wait on, take care
convey by one's expression
"She looked her devotion to me"
expect, look, await, wait(verb)
look forward to the probable occurrence of
"We were expecting a visit from our relatives"; "She is looking to a promotion"; "he is waiting to be drafted"
count, await, search, appear, depend, hold back, seem, carry, hold off, front, reckon, gestate, wait, bet, attend, require, anticipate, waitress, take care, have a bun in the oven, face, ask, calculate, expect, bear, see
accord in appearance with
"You don't look your age!"
count, bet, depend, look, calculate, reckon(verb)
have faith or confidence in
"you can count on me to help you any time"; "Look to your friends for support"; "You can bet on that!"; "Depend on your family in times of crisis"
figure, seem, bet, suppose, reckon, work out, appear, weigh, view, front, estimate, numerate, expect, see, compute, search, depend, think, calculate, cypher, play, opine, aim, imagine, await, wager, enumerate, count, cipher, direct, number, guess, face, attend, regard, wait, consider, forecast, take care, matter, account, count on
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To see is simply to become conscious of an object of vision; to look is to make a conscious and direct endeavor to see. To behold is to fix the sight and the mind with distinctness and consideration upon something that has come to be clearly before the eyes. We may look without seeing, as in pitch-darkness, and we may see without looking, as in case of a flash of lightning. To gaze is to look intently, long, and steadily upon an object. To glance is to look casually or momentarily. To stare is to look with a fixed intensity such as is the effect of surprise, alarm, or rudeness. To scan is to look at minutely, to note every visible feature. To inspect is to go below the surface, uncover, study item by item. View and survey are comprehensive, survey expressing the greater exactness of measurement or estimate. Watch brings in the element of time and often of wariness; we watch for a movement or change, a signal, the approach of an enemy, etc. Compare APPEAR.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
direct the eye
influence by looks
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
glance, gaze, stare, see, con, gloat, glare, peek, peer, pry, peep, pore, lower, glower, scan, ogle, seem, appear, await, expect, anticipate, examine, investigate, inspect, contemplate, scrutinize
How to use look in a sentence?
It's great but it can't stand on its own, companies should look at their culture and they should trace usage and be aware of whether or not it is actually being used.
In a facility like this, many die naturally every day. It's normal, but we will look into the cases of the children's deaths seriously.
Look, you can rewrite history all you want. But the simple fact is that we are in a much more unstable place because American pulled back.
With the Elysian in Chicago, we really started with the restaurant. That was our marketing -- we wanted to have the best restaurant in a mile radius and for it to be packed all the time, it worked, and that’s what we’re trying to do in these secondary markets, too. We really look at these projects as restaurants with hotels on top.
We have data for the whole province and also beyond -- looking at data from other neighboring provinces and going back several months... There is a lot of stuff to look at. It's important to be able in the months before [ the outbreak ] to go down to a much lower level, and try to pick up signals, and see was there anything there that we can we could link.
Translations for look
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ينظر, المَرْأى, المَرْآة, نظر, بحثArabic
- паглядзе́ць, глядзе́цьBelarusian
- външност, гле́дамBulgarian
- cop d'ull, buscar, semblar, mirar, encarar, mirada, ullada, cercarCatalan, Valencian
- vypadat, pohled, dívat, vzhled, podívatCzech
- se ud, kikke, se efter, virke, kikke efter, synes, seDanish
- hinsehen, schaut, blicken, sehen, Blick, aussehen, scheinen, guggen, Fratze, kucken, gucken, erwarten, hinschauen, schauen, suchenGerman
- kpɔ, di, dzeEwe
- όψη, βλέμμα, ψάχνω, κοιτάζω, ματιά, βλέπω, φαίνομαιGreek
- aspekto, rigardiEsperanto
- dar, ojeada, parecer, aspecto, mirar, mirada, esperar, buscar, vistazoSpanish
- pilk, vaatamaEstonian
- نگریستن, جستن, نگاه کردنPersian
- sijaita, vaikuttaa, katse, katsoa, näyttää, ilme, katsominen, odottaa, etsiä, ulkonäköFinnish
- hyggja, leita, lítaFaroese
- sembler, air, chercher, avoir l'air, regard, donner sur, paraître, regarderFrench
- féach, amharcIrish
- coimhead, seall, amhairc, coltas, bi coltach, fiamh, sùilScottish Gaelic
- חיפש, ראה, הסתכל, מראה, הביט, מבט, נראהHebrew
- tűnik, néz, kinézet, látszik, tekintet, kinézHungarian
- արտաքին, նայելArmenian
- regardar, aspektarIdo
- kíkja, sýnast, líta út, sjá, virðast, líta, horfa, leitaIcelandic
- occhiataccia, cercare, sguardo, sembrare, occhiata, guardare, aspetto, apparireItalian
- 探す, 拝見, 見てみる, 向かう, 見る, 観る, 求める, 見える, ご覧Japanese
- ძებნა, ყურებაGeorgian
- មើល, រកមើល, ដូចជាKhmer
- 마주하다, 찾다, 보다, 구하다, 보이다, 향하다Korean
- تهمهشاکردن, وا دیاره, گهراندن, سهیرکردنKurdish
- quaero, pareo, video, expecto, spectare, do, videor, simuloLatin
- бара, поглед, гле́да, изглед, гледа, изгледаMacedonian
- харах, харагдахMongolian
- blik, zoeken, uiterlijk, uitzicht, uitzien, lijken, over, op, kijken, stijl, look, alsDutch
- leita, lita, leiteNorwegian Nynorsk
- blikk, oppsøke, søke, synes, utseende, skue, uttrykk, se ut, se, leite, se etterNorwegian
- wyglądać, wygląd, patrzeć, popatrzećPolish
- resguardar, parecer, olhar, aspecto, olhada, esperar, procurar, verPortuguese
- dar en'igleida, vurdar, tgitar, egliada, tschartger, vesair, tscharcar, dar egn tgit, öglieda, verer, antschertgear, vzair, encurir, dar ün'ögliada, iglieada, vaser, tschercher, dar in cuc, tschercar, duncrir, dar in tgit, igleida, vair, ancurir, veir, tscherchar, der ün'öglieda, guardar, tschertgar, tschütter, tschertgan, veser, dar in'egliada, tschartgear, sguard, tgittarRomansh
- aspect, părea, privi, uitaRomanian
- гляде́ть, смотре́ть, внешность, выглядеть, взгляд, искать, погляде́ть, посмотре́тьRussian
- гле̏дати, glȅdatiSerbo-Croatian
- බලනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- pozerať, dívať, podívaťSlovak
- pogled, gledatiSlovene
- shoh, shikojAlbanian
- se, söka, kika, se ut, utseende, leta, verka, spana, blick, synas, titta, kollaSwedish
- చూపు, కనబడు, చూచు, కనిపించుTelugu
- нигоҳ кардан, нигаристанTajik
- ดู, มองหา, มองThai
- görünmek, aramak, bakmak, bakTurkish
- карарга, багаргаTatar
- диви́тися, подиви́тисяUkrainian
- boqmoq, qaramoqUzbek
Get even more translations for look »
Find a translation for the look synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)