endless loop of flexible material between two rotating shafts or pulleys
a band to tie or buckle around the body (usually at the waist)
an elongated region where a specific condition or characteristic is found
"a belt of high pressure"
knock, bash, bang, smash, belt(noun)
a vigorous blow
"the sudden knock floored him"; "he took a bash right in his face"; "he got a bang on the head"
crash, bam, swath, boot, clap, bang, fringe, strike, thrill, smasher, roast, rap, belted ammunition, kick, knock, rush, flush, overhead, brawl, smash-up, belt ammunition, charge, whang, whack, hit, knocking, eruption, bash, do, blast, smash
a path or strip (as cut by one course of mowing)
belt, belt ammunition, belted ammunition(noun)
ammunition (usually of small caliber) loaded in flexible linked strips for use in a machine gun
knock, belt, rap, whack, whang(verb)
the act of hitting vigorously
"he gave the table a whack"
belt out, belt(verb)
sing loudly and forcefully
deliver a blow to
"He belted his opponent"
fasten with a belt
"belt your trousers"
The small town was belted by cornfields in all directions.
To fasten a belt.
Keep your belt fastened; this is going to be quite a bumpy ride.
To hit with a belt.
The child was remanded to state custody when the lacerations on her back where her parents had belted her in punishment were revealed.
and intransitive To scream or sing in a loud manner.
He belted out the national anthem.
To drink quickly, often in gulps.
He belted down a shot of whisky.
To hit someone or something.
The angry player belted the official across the face, and as a result was ejected from the game.
To move very fast
He was really belting along.
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use belt in a sentence?
I climbed inside, undid her seat belt and asked if she was OK, she said she was hurting but I told her I had to get her out of there. I grabbed her underneath her arms and around the shoulders and pulled her across the console and out of the car.
Kobayashi put two hot dogs in his bun, two hot dogs in his mouth, — and while he was eating those, he put more in. It was almost a conveyer belt. It was like a Henry Ford moment in competitive eating. And obviously that revolutionized the sport.
I thought something's wrong with the engine because I always take this flight, there was a girl beside me, and I told her to quickly release her safety belt, hold on tight to the chair in front, and cover her head with clothes.
Trump put together a coalition in Massachusetts that elects Democratic governors. He won among Catholics, a week after picking a fight with the Pope. I absolutely think he can put the rust belt into play.
We're just learning that a lot of planets are small planets, and we didn't know that before, fact is, in planetary science, objects such as Pluto and the other dwarf planets in the Kuiper Belt are considered planets and called planets in everyday discourse in scientific meetings.
Translations for belt
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- пас, рэменьBelarusian
- колан, зона, пояс, ремък, опасвам, препасвам, бия с каиш, обгръщамBulgarian
- gouriz-surentez, bandenn, gourizBreton
- cop, cinturó, regió, corretjaCatalan, Valencian
- pás, pásek, řemen, opasekCzech
- sikkerhedssele, livrem, region, slag, kæberasler, drivrem, bælte, omringe, omgiveDanish
- Gürtel, Gurt, Zone, RiemenGerman
- ζώνη, ιμάνταςGreek
- golpear, cinturón, cincho, faja, correa, cinto, golpe, cinturón de seguridadSpanish
- vyö, hihna, vyöhykeFinnish
- région, courroie, ceintureFrench
- पेटी, बेल्टHindi
- nadrágszíj, gépszíj, szíj, övHungarian
- շարժափոկ, գոտի, փոկ, ղարիշArmenian
- regione, colpo, cintura, cintola, cinghia, zona, allacciare, cingereItalian
- 地帯, ベルトJapanese
- სარტყელი, ღვედიGeorgian
- قایش, qayiş, پشتێن, kemerKurdish
- juosta, diržasLithuanian
- josta, siksnaLatvian
- tātua, tauiti, whītiki, tautitiMāori
- slag, riem, ceintuur, gordel, broeksband, oplawaai, dreun, klap, veiligheidsgordel, omringen, omgorden, omgeven, insnoeren, omzomen, brullenDutch
- belte, regionNorwegian
- sisNavajo, Navaho
- pas, pasekPolish
- cinta, cinturão, correia, pancada, cinto, rodear, cingir, cintar, cercarPortuguese
- cordon, curea, brâu, centurăRomanian
- удар, ремень, ремешок, поясок, поясRussian
- rȅmēn, појас, ȕdār, pȃs, опасач, pȍjās, opàsāč, пасSerbo-Croatian
- opasok, pások, pás, remeňSlovak
- bälte, gördelSwedish
- kemer, kayışTurkish
- ремінь, поясUkrainian
- dây lưng, dây nịtVietnamese
Get even more translations for belt »
Find a translation for the belt synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)