brush, brushwood, coppice, copse, thicket(noun)
a dense growth of bushes
an implement that has hairs or bristles firmly set into a handle
brush, light touch(noun)
conducts current between rotating and stationary parts of a generator or motor
a bushy tail or part of a bushy tail (especially of the fox)
brush, clash, encounter, skirmish(noun)
a minor short-term fight
brushing, face-off, clangor, coming upon, clang, clash, brushwood, encounter, skirmish, clank, confrontation, clangour, copse, meeting, thicket, showdown, friction, crash, coppice, clangoring, light touch
the act of brushing your teeth
"the dentist recommended two brushes a day"
the act of brushing your hair
"he gave his hair a quick brush"
contact with something dangerous or undesirable
"I had a brush with danger on my way to work"; "he tried to avoid any brushes with the police"
rub with a brush, or as if with a brush
"Johnson brushed the hairs from his jacket"
touch lightly and briefly
"He brushed the wall lightly"
clean with a brush
"She brushed the suit before hanging it back into the closet"
sweep across or over
"Her long skirt brushed the floor"; "A gasp swept cross the audience"
remove with or as if with a brush
"brush away the crumbs"; "brush the dust from the jacket"; "brush aside the objections"
cover by brushing
"brush the bread with melted butter"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To clean is to make clean by removing dirt, impurities, or soil of any kind. Cleanse implies a worse condition to start from, and more to do, than clean. Hercules cleansed the Augean stables. Cleanse is especially applied to purifying processes where liquid is used, as in the flushing of a street, etc. We brush clothing if dusty, sponge it, or sponge it off, if soiled; or sponge off a spot. Furniture, books, etc., are dusted; floors are mopped or scrubbed; metallic utensils are scoured; a room is swept; soiled garments are washed; foul air or water is purified. Cleanse and purify are used extensively in a moral sense; wash in that sense is archaic. Compare AMEND.
Cleanse of or from physical or moral defilement; cleanse with an instrument; by an agent; the room was cleansed by the attendants with soap and water.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use brush in a sentence?
I have to help her in the bathroom, brush her teeth, prepare her meals, prepare her medication, of course changing her clothes, everything we're used to doing for ourselves, I have to do for her.
It’s just unfortunate that we’re now being painted with that brush.
And yes, we are at war with those people that I don't want us to be painting with too broad a brush.
I tried to brush it off, and I did see all the positives, i played so well, and really, it was the first time I'd ever kind of controlled the outcome of a major championship. It was all what I did coming down the stretch.
He doesn’t know what it is. He wants it to go away, he goes to the mirror in the morning and tries to brush it off.
Translations for brush
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- فرشاة, فرشArabic
- четкане, опашка, четка, гъсталак, изчетквам, четкам, сресвам с четкаBulgarian
- broust, broustañBreton
- raspall, raspallarCatalan, Valencian
- štětka, kartáč, štětecCzech
- Pinsel, Gebüsch, Gestrüpp, Bürste, Busch, Lunte, Standarte, bürsten, putzen, wischen, streifenGerman
- βούρτσισμα, θαμνότοπος, ουρά, βούρτσα, λόχμη, χρωματίζω, βουρτσίζω, βάφωGreek
- cepillado, matorral, escobilla, pincelada, pincel, cepillo, brocha, cepillar, aplicar, recoger, rozarSpanish
- فرچه, برس, شتPersian
- suka, harja, pöheikkö, pensaikko, sivellin, harjaus, pusikko, kosketus, hankaus, pörröhäntä, harjata, koskettaa, sivellä, hipaistaFinnish
- brosse, accrochage, brossage, brosser, peindre, peinturerFrench
- sguab, sguabadhScottish Gaelic
- מברשת, הברשה, הברישHebrew
- kefe, ecset, seprű, kefél, sikálHungarian
- խոզանակ, վրձինArmenian
- pinselo, brosilo, brosarIdo
- pensill, bursti, hárbursti, tannburstiIcelandic
- spazzola, pennello, scontro, incontro, toccare, spazzolare, spazzolarsi, spennellareItalian
- ブラシがけ, 磨き, ブラシ, 刷子, 尾, 磨く, 塗るJapanese
- ფუნჯი, ყალამი, ჯაგრისიGeorgian
- børsti, børsterpaa, salippoqKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- firçe, havlêk, فرچه, rînek, شانه کردن, فرچه کردنKurdish
- BiischtLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- teptukas, šepetysLithuanian
- ota, sukaLatvian
- berus, menyikat, memberusMalay
- borstel, struikgewas, borstelen, aanbrengen, afborstelen, tandenpoetsenDutch
- czesanie, szczotkowanie, kita, szczotka, szczotkowaćPolish
- escova, pincel, escovada, escovamento, encontro, mato, brocha, escovadela, pincelada, pincelar, escovar, esfregar, roçarPortuguese
- perie, periat, peria, picta, mătura, vopsi, ștergeRomanian
- щётка, труба, кисть, куст, кустарник, чистить, почиститьRussian
- četkica, kist, četkanje, kičica, четкица, žbun, žbunje, četka, razmrsiti, naneti, dodirnuti, očetkati, izčetkati, uklonitiSerbo-Croatian
- čopič, umitiSlovene
- borste, pensel, borstaSwedish
- tozalamoq, tarash, cho'tkalash, cho'tka, taramoqUzbek
- bàn chảiVietnamese
- heremikef, pensit, glimükamakef, jukikef, lekluinakef, miotakef, tutikef, veluvakef, dratakef, frotakef, kef, svipül, lavädakef, leröbakefVolapük
Get even more translations for brush »
Find a translation for the brush synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)