Synonyms for fight
This thesaurus page includes all potential synonyms, words with the same meaning and similar terms for the word fight.
English Synonyms and Antonyms3.0 / 3 votes
Conflict is a general word which describes opponents, whether individuals or hosts, as dashed together. One continuous conflict between entire armies is a battle. Another battle may be fought upon the same field after a considerable interval; or a new battle may follow immediately, the armies meeting upon a new field. An action is brief and partial; a battle may last for days. Engagement is a somewhat formal expression for battle; as, it was the commander's purpose to avoid a general engagement. A protracted war, including many battles, may be a stubborn contest. Combat, originally a hostile encounter between individuals, is now used also for extensive engagements. A skirmish is between small detachments or scattered troops. An encounter may be either purposed or accidental, between individuals or armed forces. Fight is a word of less dignity than battle; we should not ordinarily speak of Waterloo as a fight, unless where the word is used in the sense of fighting; as, I was in the thick of the fight.
A battle of giants; battle between armies; a battle for life, against invaders; a battle to the death; the battle of (more rarely at) Marathon.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms0.0 / 0 votes
Princeton's WordNet4.8 / 6 votes
battle, conflict, fight, engagementnoun
a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war
"Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement"
conflict, competitiveness, troth, engagement, fighting, booking, difference, struggle, mesh, interlocking, betrothal, battle, involution, difference of opinion, participation, employment, dispute, scrap, appointment, meshing, involvement, combat, date
fight, fighting, combat, scrapnoun
the act of fighting; any contest or struggle
"a fight broke out at the hockey game"; "there was fighting in the streets"; "the unhappy couple got into a terrible scrap"
an aggressive willingness to compete
"the team was full of fight"
an intense verbal dispute
"a violent fight over the bill is expected in the Senate"
a boxing or wrestling match
"the fight was on television last night"
contend, fight, struggleverb
be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight
"the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting"; "Militant groups are contending for control of the country"
fence, make do, skin, sputter, shinny, agitate, crusade, shin, scramble, press, deal, vie, manage, compete, oppose, struggle, debate, argue, defend, repugn, postulate, grapple, campaign, fight down, contend, cope, make out, fight back, clamber, get by, push, contest
fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defendverb
fight against or resist strongly
"The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!"
play off, counterbalance, represent, agitate, champion, press, support, guard, hold, defend, campaign, oppose, struggle, match, react, pit, controvert, fend for, contradict, contend, maintain, fight down, fight back, crusade, push
make a strenuous or labored effort
"She struggled for years to survive without welfare"; "He fought for breath"
crusade, fight, press, campaign, push, agitateverb
exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for
"The liberal party pushed for reforms"; "She is crusading for women's rights"; "The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate"
tug, excite, iron out, press out, crowd, raise up, shake up, shake, commove, run, press, vex, agitate, advertize, adjure, stir, budge, shift, urge on, weight-lift, promote, foment, turn on, rouse, compress, urge, struggle, oppose, entreat, contend, beseech, contract, iron, crusade, defend, fight back, squeeze, charge, compact, bear on, drive, exhort, labor, force, stir up, bid, charge up, push, fight down, campaign, take the field, weigh, conjure, constrict, disturb, advertise, weightlift, labour
Dictionary of English Synonymes0.0 / 0 votes
combat, war, contend (in arms), draw the sword, unsheath the sword, measure swords, join battle, give battle, take up the cudgels, couch one's lance, go to war, let slip the dogs of war, take up the hatchet
carry through (by fighting)
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words0.0 / 0 votes
Song lyrics by fight -- Explore a large variety of song lyrics performed by fight on the Lyrics.com website.
Words popularity by usage frequency
I'm assuming a lot of relationships go through a period of time where one or more people get overwhelmed, you don't even know what it's like to have real love because I've had to fight so much in past relationships : fight to have a place, fight for you to see me, fight for you to love me, fight for you to be faithful. In this relationship I didn't have to do that, but I was so ready to fight.
What happens is you fight so hard to win the presidency, and you fight, fight, fight, by the time you start campaigning, it's a year. And now you got to go and fight again. But you just won. So nobody has that same drive that they had.
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Mike Tyson said Thursday in an online press conference. Im coming to fight, and I hope hes coming to fight, and thats all you need to know. Promoters of the pay-per-view spectacle announced that Los Angeles Staples Center will be the site of the 54-year-old Tysons return to boxing on Nov. 28 for an eight-round main event against the 51-year-old Jones. Tysons last official bout was in June 2005, and the former undisputed heavyweight champion hasnt held a title since 1996. Roy Jones fought steadily through Roy Jones 40s, long after Roy Jones super middleweight and light heavyweight title reigns had ended, with his most recent bout in February 2018. Roy Jones also laughs at the idea that any time spent inside a boxing ring with Mike Tyson could ever be a mere exhibition, even though California commission officials have made it clear that Mike Tyson and Roy Jones shouldnt be attempting to seriously hurt each other during a fight with two-minute rounds. Officials say they plan to stop the bout if either fighter is cut or significantly injured. Who goes in the ring with the great, legendary Mike Tyson and thinks its an exhibition ? twelve-ounce gloves ? No headgear ? Really ? This is an exhibition ? Come on, bruh. Be real. In short, Mike Tyson and Roy Jones said everything one might expect from two cagey veterans of the fight game to promote real sporting interest in this endeavor, which came to life after the online world saw footage of Mike Tyson looking impressive while sparring earlier this year. Roy Jones eagerly accepted the opportunity for Mike Tyson highest-profile fight in a decade. Mike Tyson and Roy Jones believe theyll be able to put on a show worthy of their legends. Theyre also eager to be the latest in the growing line of athletes competing at elite levels into their 40s and beyond with improvements in sports science, nutrition and training. When I came along, at 32 years old, you were considered an old guy.
I think it's a great way to live, to fight for yourself, to fight for your friends, to fight for a community of individuals who are sharing your experience and to fight for dignity and a better life, and there will be a tipping point. There will be victories and they will be joyous.
Translations for fight
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قاتل, تقاتل, تحاربArabic
- бойка, сутычка, бітва, бой, барацьба, біцца, змагаццаBelarusian
- бой, сражение, битка, борба, бия, боря, сражавам се, бия сеBulgarian
- རྒྱ་འདྲེTibetan Standard
- lluita, combat, lluitar, barallar-se, combatreCatalan, Valencian
- boj, rvačka, zápas, bitka, bitva, bojovnost, bojovat, zápasit, bítCzech
- kamp, ballade, slag, slagsmål, kæmpe, udkæmpe, bekæmpe, slåsDanish
- Prügelei, Kampf, Schlacht, Keilerei, Streit, Kampfgeist, fechten, streiten, kämpfen, bekämpfenGerman
- πολεμώ, καταπολεμώ, πάληGreek
- lucha, luchar, combatir, pelear, peleaSpanish
- võitlema, kaklema, sõdimaEstonian
- borroka, borrokaldi, bataila, gudu, borroka egin, borrokatu, aurka eginBasque
- پیکار, نبرد, مسابقه, مبارزه, دعوا, نزاع, کشمکش, تلاش کردن, مقابله کردن, مبارزه کردن, جنگیدنPersian
- kamppailu, taistelu, tappelu, taistelutahto, tapella, taistella, tsempataFinnish
- combat, bataille, combativité, lutte, bagarre, combattre, se battre, guerroyerFrench
- fjochtsjeWestern Frisian
- troid, comhraicIrish
- còmhrag, cogadh, blàr, sabaid, cogScottish Gaelic
- loitar, combatirGalician
- קרב, רוח קרב, מאבק, לחימה, ריב, רב, נאבק, נלחםHebrew
- युद्ध, लड़ाई, झगड़ा, झगड़ना, लड़नाHindi
- küzdelem, harcol, verekszikHungarian
- կռիվ, պայքար, մարտ, կռվել, պայքարել, մարտնչելArmenian
- slagur, bardagi, gegn, slást, berjast, heyja, viðIcelandic
- lotta, combattimento, incontro, battaglia, rissa, combattere, lottare, azzuffarsi, battersiItalian
- 戦闘, ファイト, 闘志, 喧嘩, 試合, 戦意, 戦い, 対決, 戦う, 闘うJapanese
- ბრძოლა, შებრძოლებაGeorgian
- ұрысу, күресу, соғысу, төбелесуKazakh
- វាយតប់, តស៊ូ, ប្រយុទ្ឋKhmer
- 싸움, 다투다, 싸우다Korean
- شهڕ, شهڕ کردنKurdish
- pugna, pugno, pugnare, luctor, combattuoLatin
- ຮົບ, ຕໍ່ສູ້Lao
- mūšis, muštynės, grumtynės, kova, peštynės, kautis, peštis, muštis, grumtis, kovotiLithuanian
- cīņa, kauja, kautiņš, kauties, cīnītiesLatvian
- битка, бој, бориMacedonian
- strijd, gevecht, boel, vechtlust, strijden, voor, ijveren, vechten, tegen, bevechten, opkomen, uitvechten, met, bekampenDutch
- slåsskamp, stridslyst, slag, kamp, slåss, kjempe for, kjempe, bekjempeNorwegian
- bój, starcie, bojowość, bójka, bitwa, batalia, walka, walczyć, bićPolish
- briga, luta, combatividade, batalha, combate, contra, lutar, enfrentar, combater, [[lutar]] [[contra]]Portuguese
- cumbat, cumbata, lutga, lutgar, cumbatterRomansh
- luptă, bătaie, a, se bate, combateRomanian
- бой, стычка, сражение, борьба, баталия, драка, битва, бороться, сражаться, биться, дратьсяRussian
- борба, borba, boriti, боритиSerbo-Croatian
- bitva, boj, bojovať, biťSlovak
- luftë, luftënAlbanian
- fajt, kamp, strid, match, slåss, strida, kämpa, bekämpaSwedish
- savaş, dövüş, savaşmak, dövüşmekTurkish
- битва, боротьба, бійка, сутичка, бій, боротися, битисяUkrainian
- chiến đấuVietnamese
Get even more translations for fight »
Find a translation for the fight synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"fight." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 29 Nov. 2023. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/fight>.