battle, conflict, fight, engagement(noun)
a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war
"Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement"
conflict, competitiveness, troth, engagement, fighting, booking, difference, struggle, mesh, interlocking, betrothal, battle, involution, difference of opinion, participation, employment, dispute, scrap, appointment, meshing, involvement, combat, date
fight, fighting, combat, scrap(noun)
the act of fighting; any contest or struggle
"a fight broke out at the hockey game"; "there was fighting in the streets"; "the unhappy couple got into a terrible scrap"
an aggressive willingness to compete
"the team was full of fight"
an intense verbal dispute
"a violent fight over the bill is expected in the Senate"
a boxing or wrestling match
"the fight was on television last night"
contend, fight, struggle(verb)
be engaged in a fight; carry on a fight
"the tribesmen fought each other"; "Siblings are always fighting"; "Militant groups are contending for control of the country"
fence, make do, skin, sputter, shinny, agitate, crusade, shin, scramble, press, deal, vie, manage, compete, oppose, struggle, debate, argue, defend, repugn, postulate, grapple, campaign, fight down, contend, cope, make out, fight back, clamber, get by, push, contest
fight, oppose, fight back, fight down, defend(verb)
fight against or resist strongly
"The senator said he would oppose the bill"; "Don't fight it!"
play off, counterbalance, represent, agitate, champion, press, support, guard, hold, defend, campaign, oppose, struggle, match, react, pit, controvert, fend for, contradict, contend, maintain, fight down, fight back, crusade, push
make a strenuous or labored effort
"She struggled for years to survive without welfare"; "He fought for breath"
crusade, fight, press, campaign, push, agitate(verb)
exert oneself continuously, vigorously, or obtrusively to gain an end or engage in a crusade for a certain cause or person; be an advocate for
"The liberal party pushed for reforms"; "She is crusading for women's rights"; "The Dean is pushing for his favorite candidate"
tug, excite, iron out, press out, crowd, raise up, shake up, shake, commove, run, press, vex, agitate, advertize, adjure, stir, budge, shift, urge on, weight-lift, promote, foment, turn on, rouse, compress, urge, struggle, oppose, entreat, contend, beseech, contract, iron, crusade, defend, fight back, squeeze, charge, compact, bear on, drive, exhort, labor, force, stir up, bid, charge up, push, fight down, campaign, take the field, weigh, conjure, constrict, disturb, advertise, weightlift, labour
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Conflict is a general word which describes opponents, whether individuals or hosts, as dashed together. One continuous conflict between entire armies is a battle. Another battle may be fought upon the same field after a considerable interval; or a new battle may follow immediately, the armies meeting upon a new field. An action is brief and partial; a battle may last for days. Engagement is a somewhat formal expression for battle; as, it was the commander's purpose to avoid a general engagement. A protracted war, including many battles, may be a stubborn contest. Combat, originally a hostile encounter between individuals, is now used also for extensive engagements. A skirmish is between small detachments or scattered troops. An encounter may be either purposed or accidental, between individuals or armed forces. Fight is a word of less dignity than battle; we should not ordinarily speak of Waterloo as a fight, unless where the word is used in the sense of fighting; as, I was in the thick of the fight.
A battle of giants; battle between armies; a battle for life, against invaders; a battle to the death; the battle of (more rarely at) Marathon.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
combat, war, contend (in arms), draw the sword, unsheath the sword, measure swords, join battle, give battle, take up the cudgels, couch one's lance, go to war, let slip the dogs of war, take up the hatchet
carry through (by fighting)
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use fight in a sentence?
Perrys dedication to childrens rights and the fight against trafficking played a large role in her joining Charles team. PRINCE WILLIAM TELLS JOAQUIN PHOENIX HES GLAD HE DIDNT WATCH JOKER BEFORE BED That is why I am especially honored to be named an ambassador for the British Asian Trusts Childrens Protection Fund, and to help shine my lighton the work that The Trust will be doing in South Asia, and to be a part of finding solutions to child trafficking, children are vulnerable and innocent and have to be protected. Katy Perry and Prince Charles shake hands. ( Photo by Kirsty Wigglesworth - WPA Pool / Getty Images) Accord to the Trusts website, it was created to work.
My grandmother hasnt even seen the papers yet. She only learned this from the news today. Im sure she will fight to save the Flintstone House though. Stay tuned, as a San Mateo County native, I think the dinosaurs are beautiful. They make everyone smile and should stay.
The resources to fight are insufficient on the basis of ECOWAS' own capacities, there is no doubt that we need international assistance.
Tourists and Thais can still conduct water fight in the area, but local businesses will not be organizing anything official.
Stop grieving. Start giving thanks to me. You live to fight on other days.
Translations for fight
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قاتل, تقاتل, تحاربArabic
- бойка, сутычка, бітва, бой, барацьба, біцца, змагаццаBelarusian
- бой, сражение, битка, борба, бия, боря, сражавам се, бия сеBulgarian
- རྒྱ་འདྲེTibetan Standard
- lluita, combat, lluitar, barallar-se, combatreCatalan, Valencian
- boj, rvačka, zápas, bitka, bitva, bojovnost, bojovat, zápasit, bítCzech
- kamp, ballade, slag, slagsmål, kæmpe, udkæmpe, bekæmpe, slåsDanish
- Prügelei, Kampf, Schlacht, Keilerei, Streit, Kampfgeist, fechten, streiten, kämpfen, bekämpfenGerman
- πολεμώ, καταπολεμώ, πάληGreek
- lucha, luchar, combatir, pelear, peleaSpanish
- võitlema, kaklema, sõdimaEstonian
- borroka, borrokaldi, bataila, gudu, borroka egin, borrokatu, aurka eginBasque
- پیکار, نبرد, مسابقه, مبارزه, دعوا, نزاع, کشمکش, تلاش کردن, مقابله کردن, مبارزه کردن, جنگیدنPersian
- kamppailu, taistelu, tappelu, taistelutahto, tapella, taistella, tsempataFinnish
- combat, bataille, combativité, lutte, bagarre, combattre, se battre, guerroyerFrench
- fjochtsjeWestern Frisian
- troid, comhraicIrish
- còmhrag, cogadh, blàr, sabaid, cogScottish Gaelic
- loitar, combatirGalician
- קרב, רוח קרב, מאבק, לחימה, ריב, רב, נאבק, נלחםHebrew
- युद्ध, लड़ाई, झगड़ा, झगड़ना, लड़नाHindi
- küzdelem, harcol, verekszikHungarian
- կռիվ, պայքար, մարտ, կռվել, պայքարել, մարտնչելArmenian
- slagur, bardagi, gegn, slást, berjast, heyja, viðIcelandic
- lotta, combattimento, incontro, battaglia, rissa, combattere, lottare, azzuffarsi, battersiItalian
- 戦闘, ファイト, 闘志, 喧嘩, 試合, 戦意, 戦い, 対決, 戦う, 闘うJapanese
- ბრძოლა, შებრძოლებაGeorgian
- ұрысу, күресу, соғысу, төбелесуKazakh
- វាយតប់, តស៊ូ, ប្រយុទ្ឋKhmer
- 싸움, 다투다, 싸우다Korean
- شهڕ, شهڕ کردنKurdish
- pugna, pugno, pugnare, luctor, combattuoLatin
- ຮົບ, ຕໍ່ສູ້Lao
- mūšis, muštynės, grumtynės, kova, peštynės, kautis, peštis, muštis, grumtis, kovotiLithuanian
- cīņa, kauja, kautiņš, kauties, cīnītiesLatvian
- битка, бој, бориMacedonian
- strijd, gevecht, boel, vechtlust, strijden, voor, ijveren, vechten, tegen, bevechten, opkomen, uitvechten, met, bekampenDutch
- slåsskamp, stridslyst, slag, kamp, slåss, kjempe for, kjempe, bekjempeNorwegian
- bój, starcie, bojowość, bójka, bitwa, batalia, walka, walczyć, bićPolish
- briga, luta, combatividade, batalha, combate, contra, lutar, enfrentar, combater, [[lutar]] [[contra]]Portuguese
- cumbat, cumbata, lutga, lutgar, cumbatterRomansh
- luptă, bătaie, a, se bate, combateRomanian
- бой, стычка, сражение, борьба, баталия, драка, битва, бороться, сражаться, биться, дратьсяRussian
- борба, borba, boriti, боритиSerbo-Croatian
- bitva, boj, bojovať, biťSlovak
- luftë, luftënAlbanian
- fajt, kamp, strid, match, slåss, strida, kämpa, bekämpaSwedish
- savaş, dövüş, savaşmak, dövüşmekTurkish
- битва, боротьба, бійка, сутичка, бій, боротися, битисяUkrainian
- chiến đấuVietnamese
Get even more translations for fight »
Find a translation for the fight synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)