a person who keeps watch over something or someone
the person who plays that position on a football team
"the left guard was injured on the play"
guard, safety, safety device(noun)
a device designed to prevent injury or accidents
a posture of defence in boxing or fencing
"keep your guard up"
the person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team
a military unit serving to protect some place or person
precaution, safeguard, guard(noun)
a precautionary measure warding off impending danger or damage or injury etc.
"he put an ice pack on the injury as a precaution"; "an insurance policy is a good safeguard"; "we let our guard down"
guard duty, guard, sentry duty, sentry go(noun)
the duty of serving as a sentry
"he was on guard that night"
(American football) a position on the line of scrimmage
"guards must be good blockers"
a position on a basketball team
to keep watch over
"there would be men guarding the horses"
watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect
"guard my possessions while I'm away"
defend, guard, hold(verb)
protect against a challenge or attack
"Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
fight, book, retain, moderate, view as, support, apply, hold back, harbour, take hold, bind, deem, hold up, arrest, take, have, concord, check, make, fend for, take for, go for, throw, defy, control, harbor, oppose, keep, obligate, ward, carry, give, adjudge, entertain, nurse, accommodate, represent, curb, defend, fight back, confine, have got, restrain, withstand, agree, hold in, halt, contain, obtain, maintain, fight down, oblige, concur, keep back, sustain, prevail, reserve, admit, hold, declare, champion, bear
take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence
"guard against becoming too friendly with the staff"; "guard against infection"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
The weak may speak or act in defense of the strong; none but the powerful can assure others of protection. A defense is ordinarily against actual attack; protection is against possible as well as actual dangers. We speak of defense against an assault, protection from the cold. Vindication is a triumphant defense of character and conduct against charges of error or wrong. Compare APOLOGY.
Defense against assault or assailants; in law, defense to an action, from the testimony.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
conductor (of a coach or of a railway train)
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases:
guards, guardia, custody, garde, guardsmen, keeper, guarding, custodian, keep, warden, on-call, guardian, keeps, garda, haris, watchkeeping, care, goalkeeper, custodial, coastguard, custodianship, guardhouse, saver, safekeeping, bodyguard, guardsman, vigilance, janitor, caretaker, watchman, warder, day-care, retains, watch
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use guard in a sentence?
It is the determination of the board to build a robust system of checks and balances to guard against such events.
I appreciate the program, but we can't afford it. I would prefer to pay teachers and classroom assistants rather than people who can just stand guard, we have a $500 million shortfall. I don't think we are using our money wisely.
It's necessary for the National Guard to operate within an adequate regulatory framework that gives certainty to its members, to society, encourages the proper development of its functions and curbs human rights violations.
It is the great privilege of poverty to be happy and yet unenvied, to be healthy with physic, secure without a guard, and to obtain from the bounty of nature what the great and wealthy are compelled to procure by the help of art.
The Coast Guard has offered to provide aircraft and helicopter support for a properly funded and expertly planned search, this is very significant for the U.S. Coast Guard – Pritchard and Bottoms are the last two coastguardsmen missing from WWII.
Translations for guard
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حرس, حارسArabic
- guarda, escortaCatalan, Valencian
- stráž, střežitCzech
- vagt, livvagt, afskærmning, skærm, holde vagt, bevogteDanish
- Wächter, Schutz, schützenGerman
- φύλακας, φρουρός, φρουρά, προστασία, σκοπός, προφύλαξη, αμυντικός, φρουρώGreek
- guarda, guardia, bloque, vanguardia, tapador, protector, custodiar, guardar, vigilarSpanish
- پاسبان, گاردPersian
- puolustaja, suojus, vartio, vartija, turvata, vahtia, varoa, vartioida, suojata, puolustaa, [[olla]] [[varuillaan]], reunustaa, sitoaFinnish
- garde, gardien, arrière, protection, défense, garderFrench
- geàrd, freiceadanScottish Gaelic
- מִשְׁמָר, שׁוֹמֵר, שָׁמַרHebrew
- պահակ, պահապանArmenian
- guardia, custodire, proteggereItalian
- 監視者, 衛兵, ガード, 守るJapanese
- custodio, teneo, defendo, praesidiumLatin
- sargs, sardze, sargātLatvian
- lijfwacht, wacht, bewaker, bewakenDutch
- vaktNorwegian Nynorsk
- haʼasídíNavajo, Navaho
- strażnik, chronićPolish
- guarda, proteger, guardar, defenderPortuguese
- pază, apărare, apăratoare, paznic, gardian, păzitor, gardă, protecție, feri, păzi, protejaRomanian
- стражник, страж, стража, охрана, конвоир, кожух, предохранитель, часовой, караульный, охранник, сторож, охранять, сторожить, беречь, караулитьRussian
- čuvar, stražarSerbo-Croatian
- branilec, stražar, stražaSlovene
- vakt, vakta, bevakaSwedish
- walinzi, askari, mlinziSwahili
- guwardiya, guwardiyahanTagalog
- охоро́нець, ва́рта, охоро́на, захисни́к, гва́рдіяUkrainian
Get even more translations for guard »
Find a translation for the guard synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)