a person who keeps watch over something or someone
the person who plays that position on a football team
"the left guard was injured on the play"
guard, safety, safety device(noun)
a device designed to prevent injury or accidents
a posture of defence in boxing or fencing
"keep your guard up"
the person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team
a military unit serving to protect some place or person
precaution, safeguard, guard(noun)
a precautionary measure warding off impending danger or damage or injury etc.
"he put an ice pack on the injury as a precaution"; "an insurance policy is a good safeguard"; "we let our guard down"
guard duty, guard, sentry duty, sentry go(noun)
the duty of serving as a sentry
"he was on guard that night"
(American football) a position on the line of scrimmage
"guards must be good blockers"
a position on a basketball team
to keep watch over
"there would be men guarding the horses"
watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect
"guard my possessions while I'm away"
defend, guard, hold(verb)
protect against a challenge or attack
"Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
fight, book, retain, moderate, view as, support, apply, hold back, harbour, take hold, bind, deem, hold up, arrest, take, have, concord, check, make, fend for, take for, go for, throw, defy, control, harbor, oppose, keep, obligate, ward, carry, give, adjudge, entertain, nurse, accommodate, represent, curb, defend, fight back, confine, have got, restrain, withstand, agree, hold in, halt, contain, obtain, maintain, fight down, oblige, concur, keep back, sustain, prevail, reserve, admit, hold, declare, champion, bear
take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence
"guard against becoming too friendly with the staff"; "guard against infection"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
The weak may speak or act in defense of the strong; none but the powerful can assure others of protection. A defense is ordinarily against actual attack; protection is against possible as well as actual dangers. We speak of defense against an assault, protection from the cold. Vindication is a triumphant defense of character and conduct against charges of error or wrong. Compare APOLOGY.
Defense against assault or assailants; in law, defense to an action, from the testimony.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
conductor (of a coach or of a railway train)
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases:
guards, guardia, custody, garde, guardsmen, keeper, guarding, custodian, keep, warden, on-call, guardian, keeps, garda, haris, watchkeeping, care, goalkeeper, custodial, coastguard, custodianship, guardhouse, saver, safekeeping, bodyguard, guardsman, vigilance, janitor, caretaker, watchman, warder, day-care, retains, watch
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use guard in a sentence?
I told Dee, I wish I could scare people with my presence like you do, i mean, when a guard sees Dee Ford on them, their mind is racing, theyre thinking about what hes about to do, whatever it is. Just having his presence and his pass-rush ability, his knowledge and communication, hes a true vet. Its nice to have him out there.
You don’t want an agent who’s been on the job for 12 hours a day for 30 days in a row standing guard on the president—that’s not good for anyone.
You( Lifeline) did a show of strength by contravening the indications of the Italian and Libyan coast guard. Now, you'll carry this human load to the Netherlands.
We think Coast Guard is doing a great job.
I have three treasures. Guard and keep them:The first is deep love,The second is frugality,And the third is not to dare to be ahead of the world.Because of deep love, one is courageous.Because of frugality, one is generous.Because of not daring to be ahead of the world, one becomes the leader of the world.
Translations for guard
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- حرس, حارسArabic
- guarda, escortaCatalan, Valencian
- stráž, střežitCzech
- vagt, livvagt, afskærmning, skærm, holde vagt, bevogteDanish
- Wächter, Schutz, schützenGerman
- φύλακας, φρουρός, φρουρά, προστασία, σκοπός, προφύλαξη, αμυντικός, φρουρώGreek
- guarda, guardia, bloque, vanguardia, tapador, protector, custodiar, guardar, vigilarSpanish
- پاسبان, گاردPersian
- puolustaja, suojus, vartio, vartija, turvata, vahtia, varoa, vartioida, suojata, puolustaa, [[olla]] [[varuillaan]], reunustaa, sitoaFinnish
- garde, gardien, arrière, protection, défense, garderFrench
- geàrd, freiceadanScottish Gaelic
- מִשְׁמָר, שׁוֹמֵר, שָׁמַרHebrew
- պահակ, պահապանArmenian
- guardia, custodire, proteggereItalian
- 監視者, 衛兵, ガード, 守るJapanese
- custodio, teneo, defendo, praesidiumLatin
- sargs, sardze, sargātLatvian
- lijfwacht, wacht, bewaker, bewakenDutch
- vaktNorwegian Nynorsk
- haʼasídíNavajo, Navaho
- strażnik, chronićPolish
- guarda, proteger, guardar, defenderPortuguese
- pază, apărare, apăratoare, paznic, gardian, păzitor, gardă, protecție, feri, păzi, protejaRomanian
- стражник, страж, стража, охрана, конвоир, кожух, предохранитель, часовой, караульный, охранник, сторож, охранять, сторожить, беречь, караулитьRussian
- čuvar, stražarSerbo-Croatian
- branilec, stražar, stražaSlovene
- vakt, vakta, bevakaSwedish
- walinzi, askari, mlinziSwahili
- guwardiya, guwardiyahanTagalog
- охоро́нець, ва́рта, охоро́на, захисни́к, гва́рдіяUkrainian
Get even more translations for guard »
Find a translation for the guard synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)