a small portable timepiece
a period of time (4 or 2 hours) during which some of a ship's crew are on duty
a purposeful surveillance to guard or observe
the period during which someone (especially a guard) is on duty
lookout, lookout man, sentinel, sentry, watch, spotter, scout, picket(noun)
a person employed to keep watch for some anticipated event
piquet, ticker, sentry, pale, scout, observation post, observatory, pathfinder, finder, talent scout, lookout station, guide, outlook, lookout, spotter, observation tower, picket, vigil, lookout man, discoverer, sentinel
the rite of staying awake for devotional purposes (especially on the eve of a religious festival)
"watch a basketball game"
watch, observe, follow, watch over, keep an eye on(verb)
follow with the eyes or the mind
"Keep an eye on the baby, please!"; "The world is watching Sarajevo"; "She followed the men with the binoculars"
conform to, detect, take in, play along, postdate, come, espouse, travel along, keep an eye on, watch out, fall out, find, view, adopt, notice, come after, comply, keep, pursue, abide by, determine, see, find out, look on, be, remark, keep abreast, celebrate, watch over, stick with, take note, honor, take after, keep up, survey, look out, follow, stick to, observe, surveil, honour, mention, succeed, respect, accompany, ascertain, catch, maintain, trace, learn, discover, note, check
watch, view, see, catch, take in(verb)
see or watch
"view a show on television"; "This program will be seen all over the world"; "view an exhibition"; "Catch a show on Broadway"; "see a movie"
ensure, project, receive, bring in, interpret, look out, make, look, experience, get word, visualise, have, assure, image, fancy, overhear, go steady, look on, cod, learn, absorb, run into, discover, escort, keep an eye on, draw, earn, examine, bewitch, pick up, visit, adopt, reckon, trance, fascinate, consider, collect, gather in, come across, get a line, gull, get wind, enamor, becharm, take care, take up, gain, watch out, put one across, invite, control, ascertain, insure, attend, take hold of, date, realize, sop up, check, consume, meet, go out, witness, pull in, fool, take, catch up with, catch, construe, find out, see, suck, befool, regard, entrance, visualize, picture, suck in, grab, find, captivate, go through, take in, enamour, get, view, capture, enchant, soak up, watch over, dupe, hitch, overtake, put on, arrest, hear, follow, realise, envision, determine, beguile, encounter, trip up, clear, slang, figure, suck up, look at, see to it, understand, run across, put one over, ingest, assimilate, observe, imbibe, charm
watch, look on(verb)
observe with attention
"They watched as the murderer was executed"
watch over, view, look upon, repute, esteem, observe, learn, catch, check, take in, look on, follow, regard as, ascertain, look out, find out, think of, take to be, watch out, determine, see, keep an eye on
watch, look out, watch out(verb)
be vigilant, be on the lookout or be careful
"Watch out for pickpockets!"
observe or determine by looking
"Watch how the dog chases the cats away"
determine, check, find out, see, ascertain, watch, learn(verb)
find out, learn, or determine with certainty, usually by making an inquiry or other effort
"I want to see whether she speaks French"; "See whether it works"; "find out if he speaks Russian"; "Check whether the train leaves on time"
encounter, ensure, take, read, hold in, jibe, look out, look, experience, tick off, visualise, square up, gibe, assure, image, hold, run across, moderate, look on, learn, checker, condition, check out, run into, discover, regulate, escort, keep an eye on, stop, examine, pick up, memorize, visit, hear, chequer, observe, fix, mold, consider, study, con, tally, come across, regard, define, get a line, suss out, instruct, get wind, check off, check over, take care, watch out, match, check up on, control, look into, ascertain, mark, insure, attend, date, realize, go over, train, check, hold back, specify, interpret, meet, go out, witness, memorise, set, fancy, catch, decide, construe, find out, see, discipline, square off, limit, visualize, picture, find, catch out, go through, take in, correspond, curb, view, influence, project, watch over, fit, arrest, check into, follow, contain, get word, envision, determine, larn, make up one's mind, retard, crack, turn back, go steady, figure, acquire, see to it, break, understand, delay, teach, reckon, shape, settle, tick, realise, agree, mark off
To be awake.
More people today carry a watch on their wrists than in their pockets.
To look at, see, or view for a period of time.
The second watch of the night began at midnight.
To observe over a period of time; to notice or pay attention.
The watch stopped the travelers at the city gates.
To mind, attend, or guard.
To be wary or cautious of.
You should watch that guy. He has a reputation for lying.
To attend to dangers to or regarding.
For some must watch, while some must sleep: So runs the world away.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To abide is to remain continuously without limit of time unless expressed by the context: "to-day I must abide at thy house," Luke xix, 5; "a settled place for thee to abide in forever," 1 Kings viii, 13; "Abide with me! fast falls the eventide,"
LyteHymn. Lodge, sojourn, stay, tarry, and wait always imply a limited time; lodge, to pass the night; sojourn, to remain temporarily; live, dwell, reside, to have a permanent home. Stop, in the sense of stay or sojourn, is colloquial, and not in approved use. Compare ENDURE; REST.
Abide in a place, for a time, with a person, by a statement.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
keep guard, keep watch and ward, stand guard, be on guard, be on the watch, act as sentinel, be on the lookout, look sharp, keep a sharp lookout, have all one's eyes about one, mind one's P's and Q's
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use watch in a sentence?
It's beautiful to watch but impossible to get through.
What we're about to accomplish is to turn Syria over to Russia and Iran, and to make sure that we never destroy ISIL on Obama's watch, and pass this mess on to the next president.
This is for the love of football, enjoy. Jones D.C. Defenders beat the Seattle Dragons 31-19 Saturday afternoon in the opener of the new XFL that provided plenty of entertainment in person and on TV. Its far too early to tell if the XFL can take a foothold where its previous incarnation and the recently unsuccessful Alliance of American Football failed, but executives are willing to wait and see. XFL COMMISH SAYS LEAGUE NEVER REALLY CONSIDERED COLIN KAEPERNICK, MORE EXCITED TO SEE CARDALE JONES For us, if the fans who attend and watch at home feel as though it was a good football game and they had a fun time either watching or being in this awesome venue with us, thats success, XFL chief operating officer Jeffrey Pollack said. Were taking a long term view in this. Success ultimately will not be measured in the first game or the first weekend or the first season.
You're going to get to watch your boys grow up.
I’ve been going non-stop left and right, i haven’t had time to watch the news. I’ve got to catch up on that. But, you know, Obama did great the past four years, so I’m kind of more leaning towards him. Jeah!
Translations for watch
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- horlosie, wagAfrikaans
- حارس, ساعة, رصد, شاهد, حرس, حذر, راقبArabic
- qol saatıAzerbaijani
- нару́чны гадзіннік, гадзіннік, глядзець, паглядзецьBelarusian
- часо́вник, гледам, наблюдавамBulgarian
- rellotge, guarda, guardià, mirarCatalan, Valencian
- hlídka, hodinky, dávat pozor, dívat se, sledovat, hlídatCzech
- oriadur, gwylio, edrychWelsh
- vagt, armbåndsur, holde øje med, vogte på, se, se efter, iagttageDanish
- Wache, Uhr, Armbanduhr, zusehen, beobachten, ansehen, überwachen, sehen, aufpassenGerman
- φρουρός, βάρδια, ρολόι, σκοπός, παρακολουθώ, προσέχωGreek
- brakhorloĝo, spektiEsperanto
- reloj, mirar, tener cuidado, observar, vigilarSpanish
- käekell, kell, vaatamaEstonian
- erloju, ordulariBasque
- ساعت, نگهبان, پاس, دیدهبان, نگاه کردن, تماشاکردن, پاییدن, نگاهکردنPersian
- vahti, kello, rannekello, vartio, taskukello, katsella, tarkkailla, vahtia, katsoa, olla varuillaanFinnish
- montre, garde, poste, regarder, faire attention, prendre garde, observer, surveiller, faire gaffeFrench
- uaireadóir, fairIrish
- uaireadair, faire, freiceadan, coimheadScottish Gaelic
- reloxo, mirar, vixiarGalician
- אשמורת, שָׁעוֹןHebrew
- घड़ी, देखनाHindi
- óra, figyel, vigyáz, nézHungarian
- ժամ, ժամացույց, դիտել, նայելArmenian
- jam tanganIndonesian
- horlojeto, regardarIdo
- sorveglianza, guardia, orologio, osservare, tenere d'occhio, vigilare, guardare, sorvegliareItalian
- 腕時計, 時計, 警戒, 懐中時計, 見る, 見張る, 観察, 見守るJapanese
- მაჯის საათი, ყურებაGeorgian
- នាឡិកាដៃ, មើលKhmer
- 시계, 時計, 관찰하다Korean
- demjimêr, کات ژمێر, saet, سهعات, تهمهشاکردن, تهماشاکردن, بینینKurdish
- horologium armillare, spectō, specio, aspicio, teneo, cōnspiciōLatin
- WuechtLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- laikrodis, žiūrėtiLithuanian
- pulkstenis, laikrādis, meklētLatvian
- കാവല് നില്ക്കുക, കാണുകMalayalam
- jam tanganMalay
- လက်ပတ်နာရီ, နာရီBurmese
- wacht, horloge, opletten, uitkijken, kijkenDutch
- vakt, klokke, ur, observere, passe på, se påNorwegian
- zegarek, wachta, straż, oglądać, obserwować, pilnowaćPolish
- relógio de bolso, vigia, guarda, relógio, relógio de pulso, ver, observar, vigiar, [[tomar]]/[[ter]] [[cuidado]], assistirPortuguese
- ceas, strajă, străjer, gardă, tură, urmări, veghea, avea grijă, păzi, priviRomanian
- ва́хта, дежу́рство, дозо́р, сто́рож, нару́чные часы́, часы́, стра́жа, карау́л, карау́льный, часово́й, смотреть, наблюдать, сторожить, бдеть, глядеть, следить, охранятьRussian
- dežurstvo, vreme, dežuranje, часовник, časovnik, čas, straža, гледати, gledatiSerbo-Croatian
- hodinky, dívať, pozerať, hľadať, sledovaťSlovak
- zapestna ura, ura, gledati, opazovatiSlovene
- orë dore, orë, shoh, shikojAlbanian
- vaktpatrull, armbandsur, vakt, klocka, vaktpass, betrakta, iaktta, vara försiktig, se på, observera, ta sig i aktSwedish
- చేతి గడియారం, కాపలాదారు, కాపు ఉండుTelugu
- นาฬิกา, ชมThai
- bekçi, kol saatı, nöbetçi, gözlemlemek, göz kulak olmak, seyretmek, izlemek, dikkat etmek, bakmak, gözetmekTurkish
- нару́чний годи́нник, годи́нник, дивитисяUkrainian
- đồng hồ đeo tay, đồng hồ, cái đồng hồ, xemVietnamese
Get even more translations for watch »
Find a translation for the watch synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)