report, study, written report(noun)
a written document describing the findings of some individual or group
"this accords with the recent study by Hill and Dale"
cogitation, account, paper, study, composition, subject, theme, discipline, story, work, news report, write up, report card, bailiwick, reputation, sketch, subject area, written report, survey, field, field of study, subject field
the act of informing by verbal report
"he heard reports that they were causing trouble"; "by all accounts they were a happy couple"
score, accounting, paper, study, chronicle, composition, theme, story, news report, account statement, explanation, bill, business relationship, write up, report card, invoice, reputation, written report, account, history
report, news report, story, account, write up(noun)
a short account of the news
"the report of his speech"; "the story was on the 11 o'clock news"; "the account of his speech that was given on the evening news made the governor furious"
score, tarradiddle, account, paper, study, narrative, chronicle, tale, storey, theme, fib, accounting, story, business relationship, account statement, bill, explanation, taradiddle, news report, write up, report card, invoice, reputation, written report, floor, narration, history, level, composition
a sharp explosive sound (especially the sound of a gun firing)
"they heard a violent report followed by silence"
report card, report(noun)
a written evaluation of a student's scholarship and deportment
"his father signed his report card"
composition, paper, report, theme(noun)
an essay (especially one written as an assignment)
"he got an A on his composition"
make-up, idea, subject, base, piece, paper, report card, physical composition, makeup, radical, musical theme, study, typography, root, news report, reputation, authorship, topic, written report, newspaper publisher, piece of music, theme, newspaper, penning, melodic theme, composition, story, motif, stem, root word, constitution, write up, composing, writing, opus, account, musical composition
the general estimation that the public has for a person
"he acquired a reputation as an actor before he started writing"; "he was a person of bad report"
report, describe, account(verb)
to give an account or representation of in words
"Discreet Italian police described it in a manner typically continental"
announce as the result of an investigation or experience or finding
"Dozens of incidents of wife beatings are reported daily in this city"; "The team reported significant advances in their research"
announce one's presence
"I report to work every day at 9 o'clock"
make known to the authorities
"One student reported the other to the principal"
be responsible for reporting the details of, as in journalism
"Snow reported on China in the 1950's"; "The cub reporter covered New York City"
cut through, get over, embrace, plow, wrap up, enshroud, compensate, breed, encompass, overlay, continue, treat, hatch, incubate, track, extend, cut across, brood, deal, shroud, underwrite, overcompensate, address, spread over, hide, traverse, pass over, comprehend, handle, cover, cross, describe, get across, account, cover up, insure
complain about; make a charge against
"I reported her to the supervisor"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Account carries the idea of a commercial summary. A statement is definite, confined to essentials and properly to matters within the personal knowledge of the one who states them; as, an ante-mortem statement. A narrative is a somewhat extended and embellished account of events in order of time, ordinarily with a view to please or entertain. A description gives especial scope to the pictorial element. A report (Latin re, back, and porto, bring), as its etymology implies, is something brought back, as by one sent to obtain information, and may be concise and formal or highly descriptive and dramatic. Compare ALLEGORY; HISTORY; RECORD.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
take down (in writing)
How to pronounce report?See more »
How to say report in sign language?
Words popularity by usage frequency
Translations for report
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- verslag, rapport, rapporteerAfrikaans
- تقرير, وصف, أبلغ, أبلغ عنArabic
- notificar, informe, informar, presentar-se, fer saber, ser responsableCatalan, Valencian
- zpráva, hlášení, zodpovídat se, výbuch, výstřelCzech
- melden, Mitteilung, Meldung, verzeigen, berichten, Reportage, anzeigen, BerichtGerman
- αναφορά, έκθεση, εκπυρσοκρότησηGreek
- raporto, informoEsperanto
- informe, notificar, ser responsable, rendir cuentas, presentarse, informarSpanish
- گزارش, راپرتPersian
- kertoa, raportoida, ilmoittautua, selvittää, raportti, pamaus, selvitys, selostus, ilmoittaa, selostaa, kirjoittaaFinnish
- signaler, rapport, rapporter, communiqué, comptes, reportageFrench
- iomradhScottish Gaelic
- jelent, jelentésHungarian
- riferire, rapportoItalian
- 報告, レポート, 報ずる, 銃声Japanese
- សេចក្ដីរាយការណ៍, រាយការណ៍Khmer
- 레포트, 보고하다, 리포트, 보고, 報告Korean
- beriichtenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- pūrongorongo, pūrongoMāori
- laporan, rapotMalay
- poef, rapport, paf, verslag, verschijnen, boem, rapporteren, bekendmaken, melden, afkomen, berichten, knal, pifDutch
- raport, sprawozdaniePolish
- relatório, relatar, relato, notificar, apresentar-sePortuguese
- доложить, являться, сводка, доклад, репорт, отчёт, докладывать, отчитаться, рапорт, репортаж, отчитываться, явиться, сообщать, сообщить, сообщениеRussian
- rapport, rapporteraSwedish
- röpörtaj, bildirmek, rapor, raporlamakTurkish
- báo cáo, 報告Vietnamese
Get even more translations for report »
Find a translation for the report synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)