murder, slaying, execution(verb)
unlawful premeditated killing of a human being by a human being
slaying, performance, carrying into action, death penalty, implementation, execution, instruction execution, capital punishment, execution of instrument, executing, carrying out, writ of execution
murder, slay, hit, dispatch, bump off, off, polish off, remove(verb)
kill intentionally and with premeditation
"The mafia boss ordered his enemies murdered"
shoot, dispatch, despatch, complete, wrap up, hit, arrive at, transfer, attain, send off, finish up, reach, eat up, take out, move out, get rid of, strike, score, finish, make, polish off, collide with, gain, mangle, withdraw, tally, off, finish off, absent, run into, stumble, slay, impinge on, clear up, rack up, mutilate, mop up, discharge, come to, take away, take, pip, get through, bump off, remove
mangle, mutilate, murder(verb)
alter so as to make unrecognizable
"The tourists murdered the French language"
To deliberately kill (a person or persons).
The woman found dead in her kitchen was murdered by her husband.
To defeat decisively.
Our team is going to murder them.
To kick someone's ass or chew someone out (used to express one’s anger at somebody).
He's torn my best shirt. When I see him, I'll murder him!
to devour, ravish.
I could murder a hamburger right now.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To kill is simply to deprive of life, human, animal, or vegetable, with no suggestion of how or why. Assassinate, execute, murder, apply only to the taking of human life; to murder is to kill with premeditation and malicious intent; to execute is to kill in fulfilment of a legal sentence; to assassinate is to kill by assault; this word is chiefly applied to the killing of public or eminent persons through alleged political motives, whether secretly or openly. To slay is to kill by a blow, or by a weapon. Butcher and slaughter apply primarily to the killing of cattle; massacre is applied primarily and almost exclusively to human beings, signifying to kill them indiscriminately in large numbers; to massacre is said when there is no chance of successful resistance; to butcher when the killing is especially brutal; soldiers mown down in a hopeless charge are said to be slaughtered when no brutality on the enemy's part is implied. To despatch is to kill swiftly and in general quietly, always with intention, with or without right.
To kill with or by sword, famine, pestilence, care, grief, etc.; killed for his money, by a robber, with a dagger.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use murder in a sentence?
The video depicts a man being murdered. Someone is stabbing him, dozens of times, while he screams and begs for his life. Chloes job is to tell the room whether this post should be removed. She knows that section 13 of the Facebook community standards prohibits videos that depict the murder of one or more people. When Chloe explains this to the class, she hears her voice shaking.
When jurisdictions choose to return criminal aliens to the streets rather than turning them over to federal immigration authorities, they put the public’s safety at risk. San Francisco’s decision to protect criminal aliens led to the preventable and heartbreaking death of Kate Steinle, while the State of California sought a murder charge for the man who caused Ms. Steinle’s death—a man who would not have been on the streets of San Francisco if the city simply honored an ICE detainer—the people ultimately convicted him of felon in possession of a firearm.
All Americans should be sickened by the video of Laquan McDonald's murder. As a nation we must do more than just echo the phrase Black Lives Matter.
We are talking about collateral murder, evidence of war crimes, they are a remarkable resource for those of us seeking to hold governments to account for abuses.
People viewing this videotape will have the brilliance and benefit of hindsight 20/20 vision, this is not a murder case, despite what you heard in the courtroom. It's truly not a murder case, and we feel that we will be very successful in defending this case.
Translations for murder
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قتل, قَتْل, اِغْتِيَالArabic
- öldürmək, cinayətAzerbaijani
- assassinat, assassinarCatalan, Valencian
- vražda, porod, zabít, sprovodit ze světa, zavraždit, zničit, hejnoCzech
- lladd, llofruddio, llofruddiaethWelsh
- smadre, myrde, mord, slå ihjel, kvæleDanish
- mörderisch, ermorden, umbringen, MordGerman
- φονεύω, ανθρωποκτονία, δολοφονία, φόνος, δολοφονώ, σκοτώνωGreek
- asesinato, asesinar, devorarSpanish
- mõrv, roim, mõrvama, roimama, tapmaEstonian
- murha, murhata, parvi, murhaavaFinnish
- meurtre, homicideFrench
- mort, murtScottish Gaelic
- רֶצַח, רצח, הביס, הביע כעס, זעם, טרף, סיוט, להקת עורביםHebrew
- gyilkosság, meggyilkolHungarian
- սպանություն, սպանելArmenian
- morð, myrða, rústaIcelandic
- massacrare, omicidio, assassinio, assassinare, delitto, distruggereItalian
- 殺人, 殺す, 殺害するJapanese
- 살인, 殺人, 살인죄Korean
- адам өлтүрүүKyrgyz
- žmogžudystė, nužudymas, užmuštiLithuanian
- slepkavība, noslepkavot, slepkavotLatvian
- കൊലപാതകം, കൊല, ഹത്യMalayalam
- moord, de grond in boren, vermoorden, moordenDutch
- overlagt, ta knekken på, drepe, mord, myrde, drapNorwegian
- morderstwo, zabójstwo, zamordować, zabićPolish
- homicídio, tortura, detonar, assassinato, devorar, massacrar, destroçar, assassínio, assassinar, destruir, acabar comPortuguese
- crimă, asasinatRomanian
- убива́ть, уби́йство, уби́ть, разгроми́тьRussian
- убоство, ubistvo, уморство, ùbiti, umórstvo, убити, vrane, zgromiti, умо̀рити, ùbōjstvo, umòriti, убиство, убојствоSerbo-Croatian
- vražda, zavraždiť, vraždiťSlovak
- umor, umoritiSlovene
- mord, sluka, mörda, dödaSwedish
- куштор, қатл, одамкушӣTajik
- adam öldürme, cinayet, öldürmek, katletmekTurkish
- tàn sát, giết người, vụ giết người, ám sát, vụ ám sát, giếtVietnamese
Get even more translations for murder »
Find a translation for the murder synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)