coating, finish, finishing(noun)
a decorative texture or appearance of a surface (or the substance that gives it that appearance)
"the boat had a metallic finish"; "he applied a coat of a clear finish"; "when the finish is too thin it is difficult to apply evenly"
stopping point, finale, finis, finish, last, conclusion, close(noun)
the temporal end; the concluding time
"the stopping point of each round was signaled by a bell"; "the market was up at the finish"; "they were playing better at the close of the season"
cobbler's last, termination, shoemaker's last, refinement, coating, closing, last, polish, coda, culture, ending, end, cultivation, ratiocination, close, finishing, finis, finale, stopping point, closing curtain, goal, final stage, death, destination, decision, conclusion, determination
polish, refinement, culture, cultivation, finish(noun)
a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality
"they performed with great polish"; "I admired the exquisite refinement of his prose"; "almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art"--Joseph Conrad
purification, goal, acculturation, refinement, shade, last, polish, culture, ending, coating, glossiness, cultivation, nuance, nicety, destination, civilization, finis, finishing, refining, stopping point, civilisation, elaboration, subtlety, close, gloss, conclusion, burnish, finale
finish, destination, goal(noun)
the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey)
"a crowd assembled at the finish"; "he was nearly exhausted as their destination came into view"
designated event that concludes a contest (especially a race)
"excitement grew as the finish neared"; "my horse was several lengths behind at the finish"; "the winner is the team with the most points at the finish"
the downfall of someone (as of persons on one side of a conflict)
"booze will be the finish of him"; "it was a fight to the finish"
ending, conclusion, finish(noun)
event whose occurrence ends something
"his death marked the ending of an era"; "when these final episodes are broadcast it will be the finish of the show"
goal, termination, refinement, coating, end, conclusion, decision, culture, ending, cultivation, ratiocination, close, polish, finis, finishing, stopping point, last, closing, destination, finale, determination
(wine tasting) the taste of a wine on the back of the tongue (as it is swallowed)
"the wine has a nutty flavor and a pleasant finish"
the act of finishing
"his best finish in a major tournament was third"; "the speaker's finishing was greeted with applause"
come or bring to a finish or an end
"He finished the dishes"; "She completed the requirements for her Master's Degree"; "The fastest runner finished the race in just over 2 hours; others finished in over 4 hours"
finish up, land up, fetch up, end up, wind up, finish(verb)
finally be or do something
"He ended up marrying his high school sweetheart"; "he wound up being unemployed and living at home again"
earth up, get through, turn on, wind up, clear up, end, finish up, fetch up, eat up, polish off, terminate, wrap up, wind, mop up, arouse, finish off, cease, complete, sex, stop, land up, excite, end up
end, stop, finish, terminate, cease(verb)
have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
"the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
eat up, block up, complete, sack, halt, can, arrest, give up, finish up, block off, hold back, end, give the axe, block, displace, polish off, lay off, turn back, stop over, break off, break, fetch up, fire, land up, stop, blockade, hold on, wind up, bar, cease, barricade, discontinue, contain, end up, force out, give notice, kibosh, give the sack, intercept, dismiss, terminate, send away, quit, check
provide with a finish
"The carpenter finished the table beautifully"; "this shirt is not finished properly"
eat up, finish, polish off(verb)
finish eating all the food on one's plate or on the table
"She polished off the remaining potatoes"
exhaust, swallow, eat up, dispatch, complete, wrap up, hit, eat, off, finish up, end, bump off, use up, terminate, polish off, stop, mop up, swallow up, finish off, fetch up, bury, land up, end up, slay, run through, wipe out, wind up, murder, cease, clear up, immerse, consume, get through, deplete, remove
cause to finish a relationship with somebody
"That finished me with Mary"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Strains of music may gradually or suddenly cease. A man quits work on the instant; he may discontinue a practise gradually; he quits suddenly and completely; he stops short in what he may or may not resume; he pauses in what he will probably resume. What intermits or is intermitted returns again, as a fever that intermits. Compare ABANDON; DIE; END; REST.
Cease from anger.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
How to use finish in a sentence?
I told my father I am not going to marry until I finish my studies, he tried to force me but I sneaked (away) from the family.
I never thought we could end up so low, and finish with such poor results, it's really upsetting.
It was literally just a handful of votes that stopped the ERA, surely with social media and the new generation of women and men who do not believe in second-class citizenship for women, we can get the ERA across the finish line and put it in the Constitution where it belongs.
I think we've been pretty clear. We're not going to have a shutdown. I never thought we would. We aren't, we're putting our bill together. We've been negotiating. We'll be posting sometime today. We're just waiting for the score keepers to finish drafting.
We just want the player to finish his career with the money he earned, and more -- but not less.
Translations for finish
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- فرغ, أنهى, أتمم, انتهيArabic
- ско́нчыць, зака́нчваць, канча́цьBelarusian
- край, фина́л, завършвам, финиширамBulgarian
- finalitzar, fita, fi, terminar, meta, acabar, finirCatalan, Valencian
- dokončit, skončit, konecCzech
- slutning, finishDanish
- Ende, beenden, fertigstellen, aufhören, Lack, endenGerman
- τέλος, τελειώνωGreek
- finiĝi, finiEsperanto
- finalizar, acabarse, terminar, meta, acabar, fin, terminarseSpanish
- تمام کردن, تمام شدنPersian
- viimeistellä, loppu, tehdä loppuun, pintakäsittely, loppua, päättyä, maaliFinnish
- fin, fini, achever, finir, se terminerFrench
- crìochnaichScottish Gaelic
- ख़त्म होना, ख़त्म करना, अंत करनाHindi
- finiHaitian Creole
- befejezés, befejez, végezHungarian
- վախճան, վերջ, վերջացնել, ավարտArmenian
- fin, termination, terminar, finirInterlingua
- tamat, selesaiIndonesian
- fine, rifinire, finireItalian
- 全うする, 終わる, 終了, 終える, 仕上げる, 終わりJapanese
- 완성하다, 종료하다, 끝내다Korean
- finis, terminus, finior, finio, finem habeo, terminorLatin
- beigas, beigt, pabeigtLatvian
- meet, finish, beëindigen, eindstreep, afwerkenDutch
- avslutte, slutt, toppstrøk, finish, avslutning, fullføreNorwegian
- acabar, terminar, finirOccitan
- koniec, dokonać, skończyć, dokonywaćPolish
- arrematar, rematar, final, acabamento, concluir, fim, acabar, finalizar, terminarPortuguese
- sfârșit, termina, final, lacRomanian
- зака́нчивать, лак, отде́лка, заверши́ть, зака́нчиваться, око́нчить, оконча́ние, око́нчиться, зако́нчить, зако́нчиться, заверша́ть, коне́ц, фина́лRussian
- slutföra, finish, avsluta, yta, mål, fullfölja, gå i målSwedish
- పూర్తిచేయు, అంతమవు, పూర్తవు, ముగించుTelugu
- bitirmek, bitişTurkish
- скі́нчити, кінча́ти, закі́нчувати, закі́нчитиUkrainian
- ختم کرنا, ختم ہونا, ختمUrdu
- làm xong, kết thúc, hoàn thànhVietnamese
- fimekön, finük, finükön, lemekön, finVolapük
- achever, esse fini, fini, esse tot fwait, esse foû, esse houteWalloon
Get even more translations for finish »
Find a translation for the finish synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)