a quick throw
"he gave the ball a shy to the first baseman"
diffident, shy, timid, unsure(adj)
"stood in the doorway diffident and abashed"; "problems that call for bold not timid responses"; "a very unsure young man"
"eleven is one shy of a dozen"
wary and distrustful; disposed to avoid persons or things
"shy of strangers"
start suddenly, as from fright
Easily frightened; timid.
a shy bird.
Reserved; disinclined to familiar approach.
He is very shy with strangers.
Cautious; wary; suspicious.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
sudden start (as of a horse)
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use shy in a sentence?
You’re naturally the villain when you go into an opponent’s stadium, anyway, you might as well not shy away from it. You might as well bask in it and enjoy it. I’m not supposed to be the opponent’s favorite player. You’re not supposed to like me. I don’t play for you. I represent Ravens Nation. I just enjoy it.
The crowds have to know that what they are watching is genuine. Parents have got to know that they are encouraging their children to go into a sport where they will not be harmed, we will not shy away from this.
She's shy but I think she'll be a really wonderful asset to Jeb.
It is so commonly seen in our world that self-obsessed and fools are always confident in the crowd and consider themselves to be intelligent, whereas self-dependent and actually brilliant leads a simple life, remains usually shy from public gatherings and is often diffident and sadly projected as half-crack or mad by those who have no brain in their head.
He said he can not come back to work because he felt so shy of other people, he is sitting home and can not even go to the mosque to pray because he is ashamed of his son. He doesn't want people to see him, so he is praying at home.
Translations for shy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مورط, خجول, خجلArabic
- vergonyósCatalan, Valencian
- plachý, hodit sebou, uskočit, mrštit sebou, opatrný, praštit sebou, odměřenýCzech
- kast, smide, kaste, genertDanish
- schüchtern, scheu, verlegenGerman
- tímido, lanzar, reservado, vergonzosoSpanish
- vajaa, heitto, ujo, nolo, arka, heittopaikka, kavahtaa, säikkyä, varovainen, heittääFinnish
- embarrassé, prudent, timide, apeuréFrench
- adombrarsi, timidoItalian
- 恥ずかしい, 弱気, 慎重, 引っ込み思案, 恥ずかしがり屋, 寡黙Japanese
- timidus, verecundus, pavidus, timidos agitabisLatin
- beschroomd, gooiplek, verlegen, klein, aangooi, timide, gooien, voorzichtig, terugspringen, weggooien, verstandig, werpen, bedeesd, worp, gereserveerd, schuchter, gooiplaats, schroomvalligDutch
- medroso, avergonhado, arremesso, assustado, envergonhado, lance, tímido, reservado, cuidadoso, lançamento, pávidoPortuguese
- робкий, нерешительный, смущённый, пугливый, застенчивый, стыдливый, растерянный, стеснительный, осторожныйRussian
Get even more translations for shy »
Find a translation for the shy synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)