a quick throw
"he gave the ball a shy to the first baseman"
diffident, shy, timid, unsure(adj)
"stood in the doorway diffident and abashed"; "problems that call for bold not timid responses"; "a very unsure young man"
"eleven is one shy of a dozen"
wary and distrustful; disposed to avoid persons or things
"shy of strangers"
start suddenly, as from fright
Easily frightened; timid.
a shy bird.
Reserved; disinclined to familiar approach.
He is very shy with strangers.
Cautious; wary; suspicious.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
sudden start (as of a horse)
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use shy in a sentence?
We just say: 'Don't hide it, don't be shy. Publish it, let the world see it'.
He came to me and started asking about my family, he just started talking to me, asking me about my life. Were you married before, things like that … I did n’t know it was leading somewhere. I was quite a shy person, very shy.
He was a quiet, shy kid, not too outgoing, bennie stayed home a lot or went to the library to work. We would have been at the ballfield, so maybe he would have come by to watch.
A guy who does not feel shy, shame & guilt to speak relentlessly lie in every pie of information has a promising career to reach position very high in the field of politics and journalism. If he also wants to live life king size, fly often in sky, always enjoy at others expenses, first deprive and then pretend to cry over that matter, think selfishly in terms of I,ME & MY then he can also become head of the nation or private organization.
People shy away from this conversation in Sudan, it's a taboo, i hope that people will now feel comfortable to speak about to their parents and grandparents about it.
Translations for shy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مورط, خجول, خجلArabic
- vergonyósCatalan, Valencian
- plachý, hodit sebou, uskočit, mrštit sebou, opatrný, praštit sebou, odměřenýCzech
- kast, smide, kaste, genertDanish
- schüchtern, scheu, verlegenGerman
- tímido, lanzar, reservado, vergonzosoSpanish
- vajaa, heitto, ujo, nolo, arka, heittopaikka, kavahtaa, säikkyä, varovainen, heittääFinnish
- embarrassé, prudent, timide, apeuréFrench
- adombrarsi, timidoItalian
- 恥ずかしい, 弱気, 慎重, 引っ込み思案, 恥ずかしがり屋, 寡黙Japanese
- timidus, verecundus, pavidus, timidos agitabisLatin
- beschroomd, gooiplek, verlegen, klein, aangooi, timide, gooien, voorzichtig, terugspringen, weggooien, verstandig, werpen, bedeesd, worp, gereserveerd, schuchter, gooiplaats, schroomvalligDutch
- medroso, avergonhado, arremesso, assustado, envergonhado, lance, tímido, reservado, cuidadoso, lançamento, pávidoPortuguese
- робкий, нерешительный, смущённый, пугливый, застенчивый, стыдливый, растерянный, стеснительный, осторожныйRussian
Get even more translations for shy »
Find a translation for the shy synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)