the property of sound that varies with variation in the frequency of vibration
(baseball) the act of throwing a baseball by a pitcher to a batter
manner of speaking, livery, lurch, delivery, pitch shot, tar, auction pitch, rescue, pitching, obstetrical delivery, slant, rake, deliverance, legal transfer, sales talk, sales pitch, bringing, speech, saving
a vendor's position (especially on the sidewalk)
"he was employed to see that his paper's news pitches were not trespassed upon by rival vendors"
sales talk, sales pitch, pitch(noun)
promotion by means of an argument and demonstration
pitch, rake, slant(noun)
degree of deviation from a horizontal plane
"the roof had a steep pitch"
any of various dark heavy viscid substances obtained as a residue
pitch, pitch shot(noun)
a high approach shot in golf
pitch, auction pitch(noun)
an all-fours game in which the first card led is a trump
lurch, pitch, pitching(noun)
abrupt up-and-down motion (as caused by a ship or other conveyance)
"the pitching and tossing was quite exciting"
the action or manner of throwing something
"his pitch fell short and his hat landed on the floor"
flip, toss, sky, pitch(verb)
throw or toss with a light motion
"flip me the beachball"; "toss me newspaper"
throw out, toss out, discard, slant, jactitate, twitch, flick, thresh, flip, toss away, lurch, slash, tilt, cant over, deliver, cant, peddle, huckster, thrash, tack, shift, gear, alternate, dispose, switch, chuck, thresh about, leaf, cast aside, cast away, sky, convulse, riff, thrash about, cast out, thumb, chuck out, riffle, toss, flip-flop, hawk, set up, flip over, turn over, incline, fling, throw away, flip out, slope, throw, vend, interchange, put away, monger
lurch, pitch, shift(verb)
"The ship suddenly lurched to the left"
cant, gear, transfer, huckster, set up, cant over, flip, tilt, agitate, deliver, peddle, hawk, stir, change, prowl, switch, reel, reposition, sky, keel, swag, budge, lurch, toss, change over, careen, shift, wobble, dislodge, incline, monger, slope, skunk, vend, stagger, slant
fall or plunge forward
"She pitched over the railing of the balcony"
set to a certain pitch
"He pitched his voice very low"
peddle, monger, huckster, hawk, vend, pitch(verb)
sell or offer for sale from place to place
slope, incline, pitch(verb)
be at an angle
"The terrain sloped down"
cant, cant over, tilt, slant, pitch(verb)
"The tower is tilting"; "The ceiling is slanting"
pitch, set up(verb)
erect and fasten
"pitch a tent"
cant, tack together, put together, huckster, found, prepare, instal, piece, tack, gear up, fix, establish, put in, tilt, deliver, peddle, put up, frame, entrap, gear, install, arrange, flip, sky, assemble, order, erect, put, ensnare, raise, lay out, launch, lurch, toss, hawk, ready, set up, shift, incline, effect, monger, effectuate, slope, rear, cant over, vend, set, rig, slant
throw or hurl from the mound to the batter, as in baseball
"The pitcher delivered the ball"
cant, gear, extradite, rescue, huckster, hand over, surrender, cant over, flip, deliver, return, tilt, save, fork over, fork up, present, have, deport, redeem, peddle, sky, slant, give up, turn in, birth, render, lurch, toss, hawk, set up, shift, incline, fork out, cede, slope, drive home, vend, give birth, monger, bear
hit (a golf ball) in a high arc with a backspin
lead (a card) and establish the trump suit
set the level or character of
"She pitched her speech to the teenagers in the audience"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
degree of elevation
(Mus.) elevation of the key-note
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use pitch in a sentence?
I think the barriers we've had are because of the perception of what a brewer is. It's a man. With a beard. And typically a white guy. Not someone who looks like me, trying to pitch a beer to a bar, I could write a book about some of the reactions I've gotten.
Actually, it was my agent who was pushing for it much more than I was, i was a little resistant because I was n’t that taken with the stage production. But my agent just really kept pushing. I had just done a very intense movie, Unfaithful, and I thought : ‘ At the very least I ’m going to have fun doing this.' OH, BABY, Harvey Weinstein was still the co-chairman of Miramax Films when Chicago was being made. And the now disgraced movie mogul was adamant at the time that Britney Spears should be given a role in the movie. According to The New York Times, Harvey Weinstein sent three Miramax execs to pitch the idea to Britney Spears backstage at a concert in Canada. But director Rob Marshall and other producers were.
If they want to pitch around me, that's fine, we've got a great lineup. If I'm getting on base four times because of a walk, that's perfect.
All of society should pitch in, if you only do it through $15 an hour, then its only McDonalds and Wal-Mart contributing.
Pleasure, most often delusive, may be born of delusion. Pleasure, herself a sorceress, may pitch her tents on enchanted ground. But happiness (or, to use a more accurate and comprehensive term, solid well-being) can be built on virtue alone, and must of necessity have truth for its foundation.
Translations for pitch
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- زفت, رميةArabic
- сайыр, дегет, һағыҙBashkir
- llançament, llançarCatalan, Valencian
- smůla, nadhoz, smola, hřistě, roztečCzech
- Harz, Wurf, Pech, Sportplatz, Abstand, Grad, Verkaufsgespräch, Teilung, Neigung, Steigung, Tonhöhe, Tonlage, werfen, stampfen, werben, bewerben, wegwerfen, aufschlagen, TonhGerman
- γήπεδο, πίσσα, πετάω, στήνω, ύψος, ρίχνωGreek
- pez, declive, tono, campo, distancia, paso, brea, lanzamiento, lanzar, echar, armar, altura, altura tonal, promover, plantarSpanish
- nurmi, kallistus, taso, pihka, syöttö, piki, kenttä, myyntipuhe, jako, nyökätä, heittää, syöttää, heittää menemään, mainostaa, keinuttaa, keinua, pomppia, kinostua, sävelkorkeus, kaupata, myydä, pystyttääFinnish
- sève, terrain, poix, laïus, pas, angle, tangage, résine, lancer, argument, brai, présentation, écartement, inclinaison, pente, hauteur, donner la noteFrench
- teàrr, bìthScottish Gaelic
- fok, gyanta, köz, szurok, lejtés, eldob, ver, hangmagasságHungarian
- titinada, nadaIndonesian
- resina, servizio, sostegno, pendenza, beccheggio, pece, campo, promozione, passo, inclinazione, tono, servire, promuovere, crescere, accumularsi, intonazione, timbro, sostenereItalian
- גובה הצלילHebrew
- კუპრი, ფისიGeorgian
- nipiKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- hoa, tūpoupou, pūpahiMāori
- hars, worp, pek, verkooppraatje, toonhoogte, gooien, werpen, intonerenDutch
- smoła, pole, boisko, żywica, rzut, kąt, wysokość dźwięku, złożyć, rozbićPolish
- seiva, arremesso, piche, campo, grau, altura, arremessar, armarPortuguese
- prezentare, pas, rășină, aruncare, smoală, teren, inclinare, ton, înălțimeRomanian
- дёготь, тангаж, дифферент, смола, подача, подавать, высота, бросать, бросить, подать, ставить, тонRussian
- rozstup, ihriskoSlovak
- beck, kast, plan, ton, kasta, slänga, resa, tonhöjd, läggaSwedish
Get even more translations for pitch »
Find a translation for the pitch synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)