the property of sound that varies with variation in the frequency of vibration
(baseball) the act of throwing a baseball by a pitcher to a batter
manner of speaking, livery, lurch, delivery, pitch shot, tar, auction pitch, rescue, pitching, obstetrical delivery, slant, rake, deliverance, legal transfer, sales talk, sales pitch, bringing, speech, saving
a vendor's position (especially on the sidewalk)
"he was employed to see that his paper's news pitches were not trespassed upon by rival vendors"
sales talk, sales pitch, pitch(noun)
promotion by means of an argument and demonstration
pitch, rake, slant(noun)
degree of deviation from a horizontal plane
"the roof had a steep pitch"
any of various dark heavy viscid substances obtained as a residue
pitch, pitch shot(noun)
a high approach shot in golf
pitch, auction pitch(noun)
an all-fours game in which the first card led is a trump
lurch, pitch, pitching(noun)
abrupt up-and-down motion (as caused by a ship or other conveyance)
"the pitching and tossing was quite exciting"
the action or manner of throwing something
"his pitch fell short and his hat landed on the floor"
flip, toss, sky, pitch(verb)
throw or toss with a light motion
"flip me the beachball"; "toss me newspaper"
throw out, toss out, discard, slant, jactitate, twitch, flick, thresh, flip, toss away, lurch, slash, tilt, cant over, deliver, cant, peddle, huckster, thrash, tack, shift, gear, alternate, dispose, switch, chuck, thresh about, leaf, cast aside, cast away, sky, convulse, riff, thrash about, cast out, thumb, chuck out, riffle, toss, flip-flop, hawk, set up, flip over, turn over, incline, fling, throw away, flip out, slope, throw, vend, interchange, put away, monger
lurch, pitch, shift(verb)
"The ship suddenly lurched to the left"
cant, gear, transfer, huckster, set up, cant over, flip, tilt, agitate, deliver, peddle, hawk, stir, change, prowl, switch, reel, reposition, sky, keel, swag, budge, lurch, toss, change over, careen, shift, wobble, dislodge, incline, monger, slope, skunk, vend, stagger, slant
fall or plunge forward
"She pitched over the railing of the balcony"
set to a certain pitch
"He pitched his voice very low"
peddle, monger, huckster, hawk, vend, pitch(verb)
sell or offer for sale from place to place
slope, incline, pitch(verb)
be at an angle
"The terrain sloped down"
cant, cant over, tilt, slant, pitch(verb)
"The tower is tilting"; "The ceiling is slanting"
pitch, set up(verb)
erect and fasten
"pitch a tent"
cant, tack together, put together, huckster, found, prepare, instal, piece, tack, gear up, fix, establish, put in, tilt, deliver, peddle, put up, frame, entrap, gear, install, arrange, flip, sky, assemble, order, erect, put, ensnare, raise, lay out, launch, lurch, toss, hawk, ready, set up, shift, incline, effect, monger, effectuate, slope, rear, cant over, vend, set, rig, slant
throw or hurl from the mound to the batter, as in baseball
"The pitcher delivered the ball"
cant, gear, extradite, rescue, huckster, hand over, surrender, cant over, flip, deliver, return, tilt, save, fork over, fork up, present, have, deport, redeem, peddle, sky, slant, give up, turn in, birth, render, lurch, toss, hawk, set up, shift, incline, fork out, cede, slope, drive home, vend, give birth, monger, bear
hit (a golf ball) in a high arc with a backspin
lead (a card) and establish the trump suit
set the level or character of
"She pitched her speech to the teenagers in the audience"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
degree of elevation
(Mus.) elevation of the key-note
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use pitch in a sentence?
Mike Caldwell, the Padres' right-handed southpaw, will pitch tonight.
Being a pope is like walking around in pitch darkness.
Things are always darkest just before they go pitch black.
Otherwise, MLB clubs will be free to affiliate with any minor league team or potential team in the United States, including independent league teams and cities which are not permitted to compete for an affiliate under the current agreement. Bernie Sanders TAKES SWINGS AT BATTING PRACTICE, MAKES PITCH FOR MINOR-LEAGUE TEAMS Former and current players told Fox News they are thankful for Bernie Sanders efforts and that the issue is getting the attention it deserves. Its exciting to see the issue kind of take political gain, its super important to keep baseball alive in small towns across the U.S..
All too often, conflicts have been assumed to be localized, just left alone until they reach a pitch where they show their international significance, the danger is that we don't see the links, we don't see people moving back and forth.
Translations for pitch
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- زفت, رميةArabic
- сайыр, дегет, һағыҙBashkir
- llançament, llançarCatalan, Valencian
- smůla, nadhoz, smola, hřistě, roztečCzech
- Harz, Wurf, Pech, Sportplatz, Abstand, Grad, Verkaufsgespräch, Teilung, Neigung, Steigung, Tonhöhe, Tonlage, werfen, stampfen, werben, bewerben, wegwerfen, aufschlagen, TonhGerman
- γήπεδο, πίσσα, πετάω, στήνω, ύψος, ρίχνωGreek
- pez, declive, tono, campo, distancia, paso, brea, lanzamiento, lanzar, echar, armar, altura, altura tonal, promover, plantarSpanish
- nurmi, kallistus, taso, pihka, syöttö, piki, kenttä, myyntipuhe, jako, nyökätä, heittää, syöttää, heittää menemään, mainostaa, keinuttaa, keinua, pomppia, kinostua, sävelkorkeus, kaupata, myydä, pystyttääFinnish
- sève, terrain, poix, laïus, pas, angle, tangage, résine, lancer, argument, brai, présentation, écartement, inclinaison, pente, hauteur, donner la noteFrench
- teàrr, bìthScottish Gaelic
- fok, gyanta, köz, szurok, lejtés, eldob, ver, hangmagasságHungarian
- titinada, nadaIndonesian
- resina, servizio, sostegno, pendenza, beccheggio, pece, campo, promozione, passo, inclinazione, tono, servire, promuovere, crescere, accumularsi, intonazione, timbro, sostenereItalian
- גובה הצלילHebrew
- კუპრი, ფისიGeorgian
- nipiKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- hoa, tūpoupou, pūpahiMāori
- hars, worp, pek, verkooppraatje, toonhoogte, gooien, werpen, intonerenDutch
- smoła, pole, boisko, żywica, rzut, kąt, wysokość dźwięku, złożyć, rozbićPolish
- seiva, arremesso, piche, campo, grau, altura, arremessar, armarPortuguese
- prezentare, pas, rășină, aruncare, smoală, teren, inclinare, ton, înălțimeRomanian
- дёготь, тангаж, дифферент, смола, подача, подавать, высота, бросать, бросить, подать, ставить, тонRussian
- rozstup, ihriskoSlovak
- beck, kast, plan, ton, kasta, slänga, resa, tonhöjd, läggaSwedish
Get even more translations for pitch »
Find a translation for the pitch synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)