Synonyms for slope
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term slope.
To tend steadily upward or downward.
The road slopes sharply down at that point.
The degree to which a surface tends upward or downward.
The road has a very sharp downward slope at that point.
The ratio of the vertical and horizontal distances between two points on a line; zero if the line is horizontal, undefined if it is vertical.
The slope of this line is 0.5
The slope of the line tangent to a curve at a given point.
The slope of a parabola increases linearly with x.
The angle a roof surface makes with the horizontal, expressed as a ratio of the units of vertical rise to the units of horizontal length (sometimes referred to as run). For English units of measurement, when dimensions are given in inches, slope may be expressed as a ratio of rise to run, such as 4:12 or an an angle.
The slope of an asphalt shingle roof system should be 4:12 or greater.
A person of Chinese or other East Asian descent.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To tilt or tip is to throw out of a horizontal position by raising one side or end or lowering the other; the words are closely similar, but tilt suggests more of fluctuation or instability. Slant and slope are said of things somewhat fixed or permanent in a position out of the horizontal or perpendicular; the roof slants, the hill slopes. Incline is a more formal word for tip, and also for slant or slope. To cant is to set slantingly; in many cases tip and cant might be interchanged, but tip is more temporary, often momentary; one tips a pail so that the water flows over the edge; a mechanic cants a table by making or setting one side higher than the other. A vessel careens in the wind; lists, usually, from shifting of cargo, from water in the hold, etc. Careening is always toward one side or the other; listing may be forward or astern as well. To heel over is the same as to careen, and must be distinguished from "keel over," which is to capsize.
slope, incline, sidenoun
an elevated geological formation
"he climbed the steep slope"; "the house was built on the side of a mountain"
the property possessed by a line or surface that departs from the horizontal
"a five-degree gradient"
slope, incline, pitchverb
be at an angle
"The terrain sloped down"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
What these Planned Parenthood videos have demonstrated is a very slippery slope to an immoral landscape.
We need to be talking about the North Slope overall, and the Arctic overall - the Arctic Refuge, the NPR-A and the Arctic Ocean – because the Trump administration wants to open it all.
I think it’s a dangerous line, and once breached, we are on a slippery slope.
Unapproved voice cloning is a slippery slope, as soon as you get into a world where you’re making subjective judgment calls about whether specific cases can be ethical, it won’t be long before anything goes.
We sounded the alarm back in 2013 and hoped people would understand what a slippery slope it is to have all of these foods that are genetically modified, obviously, we can't say without a doubt that GMOs are dangerous, but we can say that not enough human studies have been done. We don't want to be the guinea pigs.
Translations for slope
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- منحدر, مَيْلArabic
- svah, stoupání, sklonCzech
- Steigung, Hang, Schlitzauge, Ableitung, Gradient, SchlitziGerman
- εφαπτομένη, συντελεστής διεύθυνσηςGreek
- cuesta, inclinación, pendiente, ojo chueco, chuequito, desnivel, cuesta abajoSpanish
- kaltevuus, jyrkkyys, [[tehdä]] [[kallistus]], livahtaa, [[pitää]] [[olka, rinne, kulmakerroin, gradientti, viettää, kallistaa, vinosilmä, hiipiäFinnish
- pente, inclinaisonFrench
- fána, sléim, ardú, caitheamh le fána, céim fhánaIrish
- meredekség, emelkedő, lejtő, ferdeszeműHungarian
- inclinazione, muso giallo, pendio, pendenzaItalian
- 勾配, 坂道, 傾斜率, 傾斜, スロープ, 坂, 傾斜角Japanese
- эңкейиш, эңкейүүKyrgyz
- panaunga, tahataha, harapaki, tāwhatinga, aupakiMāori
- steilte, glooiing, glooien, helling, spleetoog, richtingscoëfficient, sluipenDutch
- bakke, oppoverbakke, helling, skråning, nedoverbakke, stigningNorwegian
- skarpa, stok, zboczePolish
- ladeira, declive, gradiente, inclinação, inclinar, amarelo, olho puxadoPortuguese
- скат, наклон, склон, откос, уклон, узкоглазый, косоглазыйRussian
- о̀бронак, падина, pàdina, косѝна, косооки, нагиб, òbronak, nagib, kosìna, kosookiSerbo-Croatian
- sklon, stúpanie, svahSlovak
- strmina, klanec, naklonSlovene
Get even more translations for slope »
Find a translation for the slope synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"slope." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 28 Sep. 2022. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/slope>.