Synonyms for utter
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term utter.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To utter is to give forth as an audible sound, articulate or not. To talk is to utter a succession of connected words, ordinarily with the expectation of being listened to. To speak is to give articulate utterance even to a single word; the officer speaks the word of command, but does not talk it. To speak is also to utter words with the ordinary intonation, as distinguished from singing. To chat is ordinarily to utter in a familiar, conversational way; to chatter is to talk in an empty, ceaseless way like a magpie.
Speak to (address) a person; speak with a person (converse with him); speak of or about a thing (make it the subject of remark); speak on or upon a subject; in parliamentary language, speak to the question.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
arrant(a), complete(a), consummate(a), double-dyed(a), everlasting(a), gross(a), perfect(a), pure(a), sodding(a), stark(a), staring(a), thoroughgoing(a), utter(a), unadulteratedadjective
without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers
"an arrant fool"; "a complete coward"; "a consummate fool"; "a double-dyed villain"; "gross negligence"; "a perfect idiot"; "pure folly"; "what a sodding mess"; "stark staring mad"; "a thoroughgoing villain"; "utter nonsense"; "the unadulterated truth"
"came to a dead stop"; "utter seriousness"
express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue toverb
articulate; either verbally or with a cry, shout, or noise
"She expressed her anger"; "He uttered a curse"
utter, emit, let out, let looseverb
express audibly; utter sounds (not necessarily words)
"She let out a big heavy sigh"; "He uttered strange sounds that nobody could understand"
pass off, unwrap, express, bring out, divulge, talk, let loose, give away, expose, reveal, widen, breathe, let out, break, verbalise, emit, loose, give tongue to, speak, give off, verbalize, give out, let on, discover, unleash, disclose, mouth
talk, speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbaliseverb
express in speech
"She talks a lot of nonsense"; "This depressed patient does not verbalize"
let loose, talk, express, peach, address, verbalise, give tongue to, tattle, babble out, babble, let out, emit, blab, lecture, spill the beans, speak, verbalize, blab out, sing, spill, mouth, let the cat out of the bag
put into circulation
"utter counterfeit currency"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
As long as a word remains unspoken, you are it's master once you utter it, you are it's slave.
We intend to very directly communicate with the Iranians about the complete and utter outrage -- the humanitarian catastrophe that is the unjust, unlawful detention of American citizens in Iran, we have begun to communicate with the Iranians on this issue, yes, and we will continue to do so as we go forward.
The utter dismay amongst businesses watching events in Westminster can not be exaggerated, our firms are worried, investors around the world are baffled and disappointed, and markets are showing serious strain as this political saga goes on and on.
There were never nine in my car or in the store. Never, that's a complete and utter lie.
I just have to ask: What were we all so afraid of? ... It’s too early for Noah to crush it but it’s enough for now to just utter a sigh of relief. 'The Daily Show' is back with its essential wit and irreverence intact.
Translations for utter
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- dir, pronunciar, balbucejar, emetre, absolut, total, balbotejar, incondicionalCatalan, Valencian
- pronést, vydat (zvuk), vyřknout, blekotat, dát do oběhu penízeCzech
- komplet, udtrykke, udstøde, fuldkommen, ytreDanish
- äußern, ausstoßen, völligGerman
- emitir, pronunciar, balbucear, total, completoSpanish
- äärimmäinen, inahtaa, päästää, tuottaa, sanoa, virkkaa, houria, täydellinenFinnish
- absolu, prononcer, total, émettreFrench
- deargScottish Gaelic
- kiejt, kimond, teljes, megszólalHungarian
- assoluto, pronunciare, proferire, emettere, esalare, dire, tirare, totale, biascicare, completoItalian
- 発する, 述べるJapanese
- effor, proloquor, loquorLatin
- ytre, fullstendig, utstøte, utstøyte, renNorwegian
- uiten, zeggen, voortbrengen, produceren, uitbrengenDutch
- ytre, rein, fullstendigNorwegian Nynorsk
- falar, pronunciar, emitir, totalmente, dizer, balbuciar, completamentePortuguese
- издать, издавать, выговаривать, полный, говорить, выговорить, сущий, произносить, произнести, сказатьRussian
- číry, úplný, totálnySlovak
- reči, oglasiti se, skrajni, izgovoritiSlovene
- fullständig, yttra, utstöta, ren, ge tillSwedish
- по́вний, цілкови́тий, абсолю́тнийUkrainian
- thốt raVietnamese
Get even more translations for utter »
Find a translation for the utter synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Use the citation below to add these synonyms to your bibliography:
"utter." Synonyms.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 27 Sep. 2022. <https://www.synonyms.com/synonym/utter>.