arrant(a), complete(a), consummate(a), double-dyed(a), everlasting(a), gross(a), perfect(a), pure(a), sodding(a), stark(a), staring(a), thoroughgoing(a), utter(a), unadulterated(adj)
without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers
"an arrant fool"; "a complete coward"; "a consummate fool"; "a double-dyed villain"; "gross negligence"; "a perfect idiot"; "pure folly"; "what a sodding mess"; "stark staring mad"; "a thoroughgoing villain"; "utter nonsense"; "the unadulterated truth"
"came to a dead stop"; "utter seriousness"
express, verbalize, verbalise, utter, give tongue to(verb)
articulate; either verbally or with a cry, shout, or noise
"She expressed her anger"; "He uttered a curse"
utter, emit, let out, let loose(verb)
express audibly; utter sounds (not necessarily words)
"She let out a big heavy sigh"; "He uttered strange sounds that nobody could understand"
pass off, unwrap, express, bring out, divulge, talk, let loose, give away, expose, reveal, widen, breathe, let out, break, verbalise, emit, loose, give tongue to, speak, give off, verbalize, give out, let on, discover, unleash, disclose, mouth
talk, speak, utter, mouth, verbalize, verbalise(verb)
express in speech
"She talks a lot of nonsense"; "This depressed patient does not verbalize"
let loose, talk, express, peach, address, verbalise, give tongue to, tattle, babble out, babble, let out, emit, blab, lecture, spill the beans, speak, verbalize, blab out, sing, spill, mouth, let the cat out of the bag
put into circulation
"utter counterfeit currency"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
To utter is to give forth as an audible sound, articulate or not. To talk is to utter a succession of connected words, ordinarily with the expectation of being listened to. To speak is to give articulate utterance even to a single word; the officer speaks the word of command, but does not talk it. To speak is also to utter words with the ordinary intonation, as distinguished from singing. To chat is ordinarily to utter in a familiar, conversational way; to chatter is to talk in an empty, ceaseless way like a magpie.
Speak to (address) a person; speak with a person (converse with him); speak of or about a thing (make it the subject of remark); speak on or upon a subject; in parliamentary language, speak to the question.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use utter in a sentence?
It is a contributor to terrorism in many different ways and the extremism that we see in the world today comes to no small degree from the utter exasperation that people have with the sense that the system is rigged, we see this anger manifesting itself in different forms in elections around the world, including ours.
He’s a man of integrity, a man of principle, and a man of total, utter resolve.
Never utter these words 'I do not know this, therefore it is false.' One must study to know know to understand understand to judge.
Then we are assured by Sartre that owing to the final disappearance of God our liberty is absolute! At this the entire audience waves its hat or claps its hands. But this natural enthusiasm is turned abruptly into something much less buoyant when it is learnt that this liberty weighs us down immediately with tremendous responsibilities. We now have to take all God's worries on our shoulders --now that we are become men like gods. It is at this point that the Anxiety and Despondency begin, ending in utter despair.
The tragic death of this innocent baby is an example of the devastation gun violence can wreak on our communities, these defendants showed utter disregard for human life, and we will be asking that each of them receives the maximum sentence.
Translations for utter
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- dir, pronunciar, balbucejar, emetre, absolut, total, balbotejar, incondicionalCatalan, Valencian
- pronést, vydat (zvuk), vyřknout, blekotat, dát do oběhu penízeCzech
- komplet, udtrykke, udstøde, fuldkommen, ytreDanish
- äußern, ausstoßen, völligGerman
- emitir, pronunciar, balbucear, total, completoSpanish
- äärimmäinen, inahtaa, päästää, tuottaa, sanoa, virkkaa, houria, täydellinenFinnish
- absolu, prononcer, total, émettreFrench
- deargScottish Gaelic
- kiejt, kimond, teljes, megszólalHungarian
- assoluto, pronunciare, proferire, emettere, esalare, dire, tirare, totale, biascicare, completoItalian
- 発する, 述べるJapanese
- effor, proloquor, loquorLatin
- ytre, fullstendig, utstøte, utstøyte, renNorwegian
- uiten, zeggen, voortbrengen, produceren, uitbrengenDutch
- ytre, rein, fullstendigNorwegian Nynorsk
- falar, pronunciar, emitir, totalmente, dizer, balbuciar, completamentePortuguese
- издать, издавать, выговаривать, полный, говорить, выговорить, сущий, произносить, произнести, сказатьRussian
- číry, úplný, totálnySlovak
- reči, oglasiti se, skrajni, izgovoritiSlovene
- fullständig, yttra, utstöta, ren, ge tillSwedish
- по́вний, цілкови́тий, абсолю́тнийUkrainian
- thốt raVietnamese
Get even more translations for utter »
Find a translation for the utter synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)