marked by sudden changes in subject and sharp transitions
exceedingly sudden and unexpected
"came to an abrupt stop"; "an abrupt change in the weather"
abrupt, precipitous, sharp(adj)
"an abrupt canyon"; "the precipitous rapids of the upper river"; "the precipitous hills of Chinese paintings"; "a sharp drop"
overhasty, needlelike, sharp, incisive, precipitous, knifelike, precipitate, crisp, sharp-worded, keen, disconnected, precipitant, discriminating, tart, acuate, astute, acute, shrill, hasty, penetrating, piercing, shrewd, penetrative
surprisingly and unceremoniously brusque in manner
"an abrupt reply"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Bluff is a word of good meaning, as are frank and open. The bluff man talks and laughs loudly and freely, says and does whatever he pleases with fearless good nature, and with no thought of annoying or giving pain to others. The blunt man says things which he is perfectly aware are disagreeable, either from a defiant indifference to others' feelings, or from the pleasure of tormenting.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use abrupt in a sentence?
An abrupt tightening would risk disrupting financial markets and perhaps even inadvertently push the economy into recession.
It was a little herky-jerky, a little abrupt at times, but never felt threatened, never feel endangered here at all.
Out of the men I see with abrupt changes in sexual function—either decreased sensation of orgasm or decreased sensitivity in the penis—I’ll diagnose one third with diabetes.
We are at a point where we may see abrupt and irreversible changes due to climate change.
With the abrupt resignation of Sean Whent last week, we sought to have seamless leadership of the Oakland Police Department and selected an individual who understood the dynamics in Oakland and who...could hit the ground running, however, I have just received information that has caused me to lose confidence in Ben Fairow's ability to lead the Oakland Police Department at this particular moment in time.
Translations for abrupt
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- рязък, стръмен, безцеремонен, внезапенBulgarian
- abrupteCatalan, Valencian
- brat, uformodet, pludseligDanish
- abrupt, jäh, kurz angebunden, abgestumpft, wortkarg, schroff, einsiblig, steilGerman
- κοφτός, απότομος, αιφνίδιος, ξαφνικός, απροσδόκητος, απόκρημνος, ασυνεχήςGreek
- abrupto, súbito, brusco, cortante, repentinoSpanish
- erottaa, katkaistu, keskeyttää, äkillinen, odottamaton, töksähtävä, äkkijyrkkä, karkeaFinnish
- brusque, precipité, abruptFrench
- sconnesso, brusca, discontinua, brusco, sconnessa, discontinuoItalian
- ta' malajr, f'daqqa, ta' mod goffMaltese
- bruusk, kortaf, afgeknot, abrupt, hortend, plots, steilDutch
- skarp, brå, avkortet, bratt, plutseligNorwegian
- brusco, interromper, abrupto, rude, abscindirPortuguese
- крутой, бесцеремонный, обрывистый, резкий, внезапный, неожиданныйRussian
Get even more translations for abrupt »
Find a translation for the abrupt synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)