suitable for a particular person or place or condition etc
"a book not appropriate for children"; "a funeral conducted the appropriate solemnity"; "it seems that an apology is appropriate"
allow, appropriate, earmark, set aside, reserve(verb)
give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause
"I will earmark this money for your research"; "She sets aside time for meditation every day"
appropriate, capture, seize, conquer(verb)
take possession of by force, as after an invasion
"the invaders seized the land and property of the inhabitants"; "The army seized the town"; "The militia captured the castle"
usurp, capture, fascinate, attach, earmark, sequester, conquer, beguile, impound, get, allow, captivate, enamour, suppress, trance, confiscate, get hold of, assume, prehend, enamor, take over, becharm, reserve, arrogate, subdue, curb, stamp down, set aside, seize, clutch, entrance, inhibit, charm, catch, grab, enchant, bewitch
English Synonyms and Antonyms
The central idea of withdrawing makes abstract in common speech a euphemism for appropriate (unlawfully), purloin, steal. In mental processes we discriminate between objects by distinguishing their differences; we separate some one element from all that does not necessarily belong to it, abstract it, and view it alone. We may separate two ideas, and hold both in mind in comparison or contrast; but when we abstract one of them, we drop the other out of thought. The mind is abstracted when it is withdrawn from all other subjects and concentrated upon one, diverted when it is drawn away from what it would or should attend to by some other interest, distracted when the attention is divided among different subjects, so that it can not be given properly to any. The trouble with the distracted person is that he is not abstracted. Compare DISCERN.
The purse may be abstracted from the pocket; the substance from the accidents; a book into a compend.
Dictionary of English Synonymes
adapted, fit, fitting, befitting, apt, PAT, suitable, proper, becoming, due, seemly, agreeable, conformable, congruous, germane, convenient, pertinent, apposite, felicitous, applicable, APROPOS, to the point, to the purpose
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases:
suitable, adequate, proper, relevant, fit, applicable, necessary, competent, timely, corresponding, right, adapted, fitting, due, opportune, occasion, appropriately, correct, pertinent, required, desirable, convenient, properly, tailored, expedient, good, advisable, inappropriate, sufficient, suitably, useful, decent, adequately, reasonable
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use appropriate in a sentence?
No idea what they are going to find, i think the FBI is the appropriate agency and that's where it was referred.
We certainly don't think it's appropriate to condemn it before everybody knows what it, in fact, is if there is an 'is,'.
It was our hope to be able to do that relatively quickly before many demonstrators appeared that day. Unfortunately, because of the difficulty in getting appropriate forces -- units -- into place, by the time they were able to move a perimeter up to us there had been a large number of protesters had assembled.
We're prepared to provide certainty that denuclearization isn't something that ends badly for them, we are prepared to make security assurances that are different and unique than America has been willing to provide previously. We think this is necessary and appropriate.
For decades Californians could choose whether or not they wanted abortion-free health insurance coverage until California took away that option, hHS is assessing the recent letter from the California Attorney General and all appropriate remedies in light of California's continued refusal to comply with federal law.
Translations for appropriate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- присвоявам си, уместен, определям, подходящ, предназначавам, съответенBulgarian
- apropiatCatalan, Valencian
- vhodný, odpovídající, příslušný, přiměřenýCzech
- zuweisen, angebracht, zugewiesen, aneignen, angemessen, anpassen, passendGerman
- adueñarse, apropiado, designarSpanish
- asianmukainen, varattu, täsmällinen, osoitettu, sovelias, sopivaFinnish
- freagarrach, iomchaidhScottish Gaelic
- illő, megfelelő, kisajátít, elkülönítHungarian
- պատշաճ, համապատասխանArmenian
- 適当, 充当, 適切, 相応しいJapanese
- piederīgs, atbilstošs, piemērotsLatvian
- tika, tōtika, makitaunu, arotau, kokoraho, kaihauMāori
- toewijzen, toepasselijk, geschikt, gepast, aanpassen, passend, aangewezenDutch
- velegnet, formålstjenlig, annektere, passende, hensiktsmessig, egnetNorwegian
- odpowiedni, właściwy, stosownyPolish
- apoderar-se, apropriado, apropriar-se, apropriar, designarPortuguese
- присво́ить, соответствующий, присва́ивать, подходящий, вы́делить, выделя́ть, ассигнова́ть, подходящееRussian
- prìmjeren, pȍdesan, prìkladanSerbo-Croatian
- tillägna sig, lämplig, tillbörligSwedish
- sâhiplenmek, isâbetli, biçilmiş kaftan, muvfâfık, lâyık, uygun, yakışık alır, yerindeTurkish
- thích hợpVietnamese
Get even more translations for appropriate »
Find a translation for the appropriate synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)