a notation cancelling a previous sharp or flat
cancel, call off, scratch, scrub(verb)
postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled
"Call off the engagement"; "cancel the dinner party"; "we had to scrub our vacation plans"; "scratch that meeting--the chair is ill"
itch, call off, scrape up, expunge, fret, strike down, strike, scour, chafe, come up, invalidate, grave, delete, excise, scratch, inscribe, call, engrave, scrub, scrape, fray, offset, scrub up, set off, scratch up, rub
cancel, offset, set off(verb)
make up for
"His skills offset his opponent's superior strength"
call off, spark, bring out, set forth, blow up, actuate, strike down, take off, trigger off, spark off, trip, stir up, invalidate, detonate, delete, start, countervail, scratch, touch off, trigger, set out, depart, scrub, instigate, activate, explode, offset, part, incite, set off, start out
cancel, strike down(verb)
declare null and void; make ineffective
"Cancel the election results"; "strike down a law"
remove or make invisible
"Please delete my name from your list"
make invalid for use
"cancel cheques or tickets"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Cancel, efface, erase, expunge, and obliterate have as their first meaning the removal of written characters or other forms of record. To cancel is, literally, to make a lattice by cross-lines, exactly our English cross out; to efface is to rub off, smooth away the face, as of an inscription; to erase is to scratch out, commonly for the purpose of writing something else in the same space; to expunge, is to punch out with some sharp instrument, so as to show that the words are no longer part of the writing; to obliterate is to cover over or remove, as a letter, as was done by reversing the Roman stylus, and rubbing out with the rounded end what had been written with the point on the waxen tablet. What has been canceled, erased, expunged, may perhaps still be traced; what is obliterated is gone forever, as if it had never been. In many establishments, when a debt is discharged by payment, the record is canceled. The figurative use of the words keeps close to the primary sense. Compare ABOLISH.
abolish, abrogate, annul, blot out, cross off, cross out, discharge, efface, erase, expunge, make void, nullify, obliterate, quash, remove, repeal, rescind, revoke, rub off, rub out, scratch out, vacate
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases for "cancel":
annul, cancellation, rescind, abort, cancelling, canceling, cancels, cancelled, revoke, nullify, quash, terminate, annulment, overturn, abolish, repeal, invalidate, abolition, waive, annuls, cancei, canceled, override, negate, reverse, countermand, overrule, undo, rescission, write-off, delete, abrogate, unassign
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use cancel in a sentence?
I am saddened that we have had to cancel this year's Carter Work Project.
We were waiting a long time, yesterday was tough because we were ready, ready, then suddenly the supervisor came to us. If they just split sets, we cancel. We were just warming up. It was tough.
The credibility of India (as an arms buyer) is already pretty shaky and it's going to get shakier (if they cancel the Rafale deal), it would be a big blow to the armed forces. The armed forces have been banking on the Rafale for a long time. They have said there is no plan B.
Air Force is making the right decision [ to ] cancel the previously announced sole-source contract and hit restart on this process, even with the understanding that the Air Force One mission brings with it unique requirements and challenges, a $ 24 million sole-source contract just didn't pass the smell test.
Chinese customers are normally the highest spenders, they spend the largest amount and stay the longest amount out of the travel groups. ... We have also seen many of the Asian Americans that have already paid [ for hotels and charter buses ] cancel out of their own fear.
Translations for cancel
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ألغى, إلغاءArabic
- зачерквам, отменям, анулирам, съкращавам, задрасквамBulgarian
- zrušit, stornovat, vyrušit, škrtnout, krátit, škrtatCzech
- annullere, afbestille, stryge, forkorte, ophæve, aflyse, strege ud, stemple, aflysning, afbestilling, annullering, ophævningstegnDanish
- ausstreichen, aufheben, annullieren, auslöschen, streichen, kürzen, entwerten, abstempeln, stornierenGerman
- ακυρώνω, αντισταθμίζω, διαγράφω, ματαίωση, διαγραφή, ακύρωση, ακυρώσειGreek
- taandama, kustutama, tühistamaEstonian
- poistaa, mitätöidä, supistaa, yliviivata, kumota, peruuttaaFinnish
- mettre fin, résilier, compenser, se désabonner, éliminer, annuler, oblitérer, neutraliser, annulation, bécarreFrench
- रद्द करनाHindi
- kihúz, visszavon, töröl, egyszerűsít, megszüntetiHungarian
- filtrare, recidere, cassare, cancellare, eliminare, annullare, compensare, depennare, obliterare, neutralizzare, invalidare, cancellazione, annullamento, cassazione, spuntatoItalian
- キャンセル, 取り消すJapanese
- გადახაზვა, გაბათილება, წაშლა, გაუქმება, ანულირება, შეკვეცაGeorgian
- doorhalen, annuleren, schrappenDutch
- skrócić, odwołać, anulować, skreślićPolish
- invalidar, cancelar, neutralizar, riscar, eliminar, anular, anulaçãoPortuguese
- погаша́ть, отсе́чь, аннули́ровать, сокраща́ть, зачёркивать, сократи́ть, зачеркну́ть, погаси́ть, отменя́ть, отсека́ть, отмени́ть, бека́р, отменитьRussian
- stämpla, stryka, upphäva, förkorta, annullera, släcka ut, avbryta, ta ut, återställningstecken, avbokaSwedish
Get even more translations for cancel »
Find a translation for the cancel synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)