Synonyms for cancel
This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term cancel.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Cancel, efface, erase, expunge, and obliterate have as their first meaning the removal of written characters or other forms of record. To cancel is, literally, to make a lattice by cross-lines, exactly our English cross out; to efface is to rub off, smooth away the face, as of an inscription; to erase is to scratch out, commonly for the purpose of writing something else in the same space; to expunge, is to punch out with some sharp instrument, so as to show that the words are no longer part of the writing; to obliterate is to cover over or remove, as a letter, as was done by reversing the Roman stylus, and rubbing out with the rounded end what had been written with the point on the waxen tablet. What has been canceled, erased, expunged, may perhaps still be traced; what is obliterated is gone forever, as if it had never been. In many establishments, when a debt is discharged by payment, the record is canceled. The figurative use of the words keeps close to the primary sense. Compare ABOLISH.
abolish, abrogate, annul, blot out, cross off, cross out, discharge, efface, erase, expunge, make void, nullify, obliterate, quash, remove, repeal, rescind, revoke, rub off, rub out, scratch out, vacate
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
a notation cancelling a previous sharp or flat
cancel, call off, scratch, scrubverb
postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled
"Call off the engagement"; "cancel the dinner party"; "we had to scrub our vacation plans"; "scratch that meeting--the chair is ill"
itch, call off, scrape up, expunge, fret, strike down, strike, scour, chafe, come up, invalidate, grave, delete, excise, scratch, inscribe, call, engrave, scrub, scrape, fray, offset, scrub up, set off, scratch up, rub
cancel, offset, set offverb
make up for
"His skills offset his opponent's superior strength"
call off, spark, bring out, set forth, blow up, actuate, strike down, take off, trigger off, spark off, trip, stir up, invalidate, detonate, delete, start, countervail, scratch, touch off, trigger, set out, depart, scrub, instigate, activate, explode, offset, part, incite, set off, start out
cancel, strike downverb
declare null and void; make ineffective
"Cancel the election results"; "strike down a law"
remove or make invisible
"Please delete my name from your list"
make invalid for use
"cancel cheques or tickets"
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
List of paraphrases for "cancel":
annul, cancellation, rescind, abort, cancelling, canceling, cancels, cancelled, revoke, nullify, quash, terminate, annulment, overturn, abolish, repeal, invalidate, abolition, waive, annuls, cancei, canceled, override, negate, reverse, countermand, overrule, undo, rescission, write-off, delete, abrogate, unassign
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use cancel in a sentence?
In today’s cancel culture, journalists don’t dare be open in their criticism, so that’s why this story is all whispers.
The pressure on Taylor Swift to cancel her performance was significant. Her fans did not want to see her supporting animal abuse.
This is just cancel culture, the guy shouldnt have been fired, its just a couple of things back in his history. Are we going to go through everyones history, or are we going to get rid of every sketch that Saturday Night Live has done that involved race ? WALLS OF JERICHO DRUMMER ARRESTED WITH OVER 630 POUNDS OF MARIJUANA While many comedians feel that cancel culture is unfair and unjust, there are some that feel its necessary and will help the art form grow. Caley Chase, daughter of legendary comic Chevy Chase and a standup comedian herself, spoke with The Los Angeles Times about how far comedians can go. There are some bad people out there, and there are some really [ bad ] things to say, she said. Theres a line. Did you hurt someone ? Thats the line. Another.
I do not think it's safe to return right now, i think the NFL should delay the sport or cancel it this year to allow the wonderful women and men on the front lines to really get ahead of this pandemic and make it safe for everyone to come back to the sport.
We will not cancel the A320neo order. Our relations with Airbus are very strong. We have full confidence in the neo programme but yes, we could cancel the entire Pratt & Whitney order.
Translations for cancel
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ألغى, إلغاءArabic
- зачерквам, отменям, анулирам, съкращавам, задрасквамBulgarian
- zrušit, stornovat, vyrušit, škrtnout, krátit, škrtatCzech
- annullere, afbestille, stryge, forkorte, ophæve, aflyse, strege ud, stemple, aflysning, afbestilling, annullering, ophævningstegnDanish
- ausstreichen, aufheben, annullieren, auslöschen, streichen, kürzen, entwerten, abstempeln, stornierenGerman
- ακυρώνω, αντισταθμίζω, διαγράφω, ματαίωση, διαγραφή, ακύρωση, ακυρώσειGreek
- taandama, kustutama, tühistamaEstonian
- لغو کردنPersian
- poistaa, mitätöidä, supistaa, yliviivata, kumota, peruuttaaFinnish
- mettre fin, résilier, compenser, se désabonner, éliminer, annuler, oblitérer, neutraliser, annulation, bécarreFrench
- रद्द करनाHindi
- kihúz, visszavon, töröl, egyszerűsít, megszüntetiHungarian
- filtrare, recidere, cassare, cancellare, eliminare, annullare, compensare, depennare, obliterare, neutralizzare, invalidare, cancellazione, annullamento, cassazione, spuntatoItalian
- キャンセル, 取り消すJapanese
- გადახაზვა, გაბათილება, წაშლა, გაუქმება, ანულირება, შეკვეცაGeorgian
- doorhalen, annuleren, schrappenDutch
- skrócić, odwołać, anulować, skreślićPolish
- invalidar, cancelar, neutralizar, riscar, eliminar, anular, anulaçãoPortuguese
- погаша́ть, отсе́чь, аннули́ровать, сокраща́ть, зачёркивать, сократи́ть, зачеркну́ть, погаси́ть, отменя́ть, отсека́ть, отмени́ть, бека́р, отменитьRussian
- stämpla, stryka, upphäva, förkorta, annullera, släcka ut, avbryta, ta ut, återställningstecken, avbokaSwedish
- באָטל מאַכןYiddish
Get even more translations for cancel »
Find a translation for the cancel synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)