used especially of what is legally or ethically right or proper or fitting
"a just and lasting peace"- A.Lincoln; "a kind and just man"; "a just reward"; "his just inheritance"
fair to all parties as dictated by reason and conscience
"equitable treatment of all citizens"; "an equitable distribution of gifts among the children"
free from favoritism or self-interest or bias or deception; conforming with established standards or rules
"a fair referee"; "fair deal"; "on a fair footing"; "a fair fight"; "by fair means or foul"
good, just, upright(adverb)
of moral excellence
"a genuinely good person"; "a just cause"; "an upright and respectable man"
dear, good, beneficial, in effect(p), unspoiled, skillful, sound, secure, serious, effective, upright, salutary, in force(p), vertical, skilful, practiced, equitable, estimable, expert, erect, proficient, full, honest, unsloped, respectable, undecomposed, unspoilt, fair, ripe, safe, adept, honorable, dependable, well(p), right, near
merely, simply, just, only, but(adverb)
and nothing more
"I was merely asking"; "it is simply a matter of time"; "just a scratch"; "he was only a child"; "hopes that last but a moment"
precisely, exactly, just(adverb)
indicating exactness or preciseness
"he was doing precisely (or exactly) what she had told him to do"; "it was just as he said--the jewel was gone"; "it has just enough salt"
just, just now(adverb)
only a moment ago
"he has just arrived"; "the sun just now came out"
"I just can't take it anymore"; "he was just grand as Romeo"; "it's simply beautiful!"
barely, hardly, just, scarcely, scarce(adverb)
only a very short time before
"they could barely hear the speaker"; "we hardly knew them"; "just missed being hit"; "had scarcely rung the bell when the door flew open"; "would have scarce arrived before she would have found some excuse to leave"- W.B.Yeats
exactly at this moment or the moment described
"we've just finished painting the walls, so don't touch them";
English Synonyms and Antonyms
But ranges from the faintest contrast to absolute negation; as, I am willing to go, but (on the other hand) content to stay; he is not an honest man, but (on the contrary) a villain. The contrast may be with a silent thought; as, but let us go (it being understood that we might stay longer). In restrictive use, except and excepting are slightly more emphatic than but; we say, no injury but a scratch; or, no injury except some painful bruises. Such expressions as "words are but breath" (nothing but) may be referred to the restrictive use by ellipsis. So may the use of but in the sense of unless; as, "it never rains but it pours." To the same head must be referred the conditional use; as, "you may go, but with your father's consent" (i. e., "provided you have," "except that you must have," etc.). "Doubt but" is now less used than the more logical "doubt that." But never becomes a full synonym for and; and adds something like, but adds something different; "brave and tender" implies that tenderness is natural to the brave; "brave but tender" implies that bravery and tenderness are rarely combined. For the concessive use, compare NOTWITHSTANDING.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
being "just" is equal to being "equal"Submitted by JP03 on October 23, 2014
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
upright, honest, conscientious, honorable, straightforward, condign, merited, deserved, due, reasonable, conscionable, equitable, fair, unbiased, impartial correct, exact, accurate, proper, appropriate
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use just in a sentence?
We spent a few days in a hotel room doing these...trust and acting exercises, it's weird, you don't often stare into people's eyes that long and when you do...you really quickly start to pick up on micro-expressions or whatever they give off and feelings perhaps and you just link up in a way.
There are various levels of protection health care providers must have when they are dealing with potentially fatal diseases. Not just Ebola, but small pox or anthrax or any Category A biological agent, and the health care providers must be properly trained in how to 'don and doff' personal protective equipment.
When you go in the engine room of a ship, you're typically gonna put gloves on, you're gonna put a boiler suit on, you're gonna do that, because it's dirty, you go into the engine room of ... our first LNG-powered container ship and it looks like it just came out of the yard yesterday.
It is difficult to predict the quality of grain which is seen just before harvesting starts, only after knowing the quality we could plan export destinations.
It could make it more difficult for holders of standard essential patents to get injunctions. Potentially this can be stricter than the (European) Commission's decisions just because it says patent holders must make a specific, written offer.
Translations for just
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- فقط, عَدْلArabic
- әле генә, яңы, яңы ғына, дөрөҫ, ғәҙелBashkir
- només, just, sols, acabar de, simplementCatalan, Valencian
- těsně, přesně, spravedlivý, pouze, správný, právěCzech
- einfach, berechtigt, nur, gerade, gerechtGerman
- μόλις, δίκαιος, απλώς, μόνοGreek
- ĝuste, ĵus, justa, nurEsperanto
- justo, acabar de, sóloSpanish
- عادل, دادگر, دادگریPersian
- äskettäin, vain, just, vasta, täsmälleen, oikea, juuri ja juuri, oikeudenmukainen, juuri, reilu, vastikään, juuri äsken, tarkalleen, tuskin, äskenFinnish
- simplement, juste, venir deFrench
- [[go]] [[díreach]]Irish
- cothromach, air èiginnScottish Gaelic
- ज़रा, केवलHindi
- éppen, csakHungarian
- նոր, ուղղակի, արդարArmenian
- appena, giusto, soloItalian
- ばかり, ジャスト, に過ぎない, ところ, 只, 丁度, ただ, 公正Japanese
- gerechtLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- tikko, tik tikko, gandrīz, tieši, tikaiLatvian
- праведен, баш, само, штотуку, тукушто, исправен, токмуMacedonian
- baru, hanya, بارو, cuma, چوما, هاڽMalay
- gewoon, billijk, net, juist, rechtmatig, correct, nog net, gerechtig, enkel, pas, zojuist, slechts, onlangs, op een haar na, precies, eerlijk, rechtvaardigDutch
- kun, nettopp, bareNorwegian
- tʼóóNavajo, Navaho
- właśnie, tylko, po prostu, dokładnie, sprawiedliwy, dokładnyPolish
- somente, recém, simplesmente, por pouco, justo, apenas, só, acabar de, bem, recentementePortuguese
- întocmai, doar, numai, tocmaiRomanian
- и́менно, правильный, всего́ лишь, то́лько что, то́лько, то́чно, справедливый, как ра́з, едва́, лишь, про́стоRussian
- tijesno, maloprije, upravo, tek, само, sasvim, samo, skoro, zamalo, baš, potpunoSerbo-Croatian
- zgòlj, rávnokar, lè, pràvkar, samó, skôrajSlovene
- precis, nyss, just, rättvis, baraSwedish
- adil, adaletliTurkish
Get even more translations for just »
Find a translation for the just synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)