the particular auditory effect produced by a given cause
"the sound of rain on the roof"; "the beautiful sound of music"
sound, auditory sensation(noun)
the subjective sensation of hearing something
"he strained to hear the faint sounds"
mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium
"falling trees make a sound in the forest even when no one is there to hear them"
the sudden occurrence of an audible event
"the sound awakened them"
the audible part of a transmitted signal
"they always raise the audio for commercials"
phone, speech sound, sound(noun)
(phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
a narrow channel of the sea joining two larger bodies of water
a large ocean inlet or deep bay
"the main body of the sound ran parallel to the coast"
financially secure and safe
"sound investments"; "a sound economy"
healthy, intelligent, levelheaded, level-headed, sound(adj)
exercising or showing good judgment
"healthy scepticism"; "a healthy fear of rattlesnakes"; "the healthy attitude of French laws"; "healthy relations between labor and management"; "an intelligent solution"; "a sound approach to the problem"; "sound advice"; "no sound explanation for his decision"
levelheaded, reasoning(a), good, salubrious, well-informed, sizable, wakeless, well-grounded, sizeable, effectual, thinking(a), hefty, profound, healthy, heavy, reasoned, legal, respectable, intelligent, goodly, goodish, level-headed, tidy, good for you(p)
in good condition; free from defect or damage or decay
"a sound timber"; "the wall is sound"; "a sound foundation"
in excellent physical condition
"good teeth"; "I still have one good leg"; "a sound mind in a sound body"
dear, good, beneficial, in effect(p), unspoiled, effectual, skillful, secure, serious, effective, wakeless, well-grounded, upright, legal, salutary, in force(p), skilful, practiced, heavy, dependable, estimable, intelligent, expert, levelheaded, just, level-headed, healthy, proficient, full, honest, profound, respectable, undecomposed, unspoilt, ripe, safe, adept, reasoned, honorable, well(p), right, near
reasoned, sound, well-grounded(adj)
"a sound argument"
legal, sound, effectual(adj)
having legal efficacy or force
"a sound title to the property"
free from moral defect
"a man of sound character"
heavy, profound, sound, wakeless(adj)
(of sleep) deep and complete
"a heavy sleep"; "fell into a profound sleep"; "a sound sleeper"; "deep wakeless sleep"
laboured, sullen, laborious, reasoned, overweight, toilsome, effectual, intemperate, with child(p), wakeless, good, dense, grueling, unsounded, heavy(p), threatening, grave, legal, cloggy, heavy(a), large(p), clayey, enceinte, intelligent, grievous, fleshy, levelheaded, weighed down, hard, weighty, impenetrable, level-headed, gruelling, well-grounded, expectant, lumbering, ponderous, backbreaking, unfathomed, sonorous, great(p), profound, operose, fundamental, heavy, arduous, big(a), labored, unplumbed, punishing, gravid, big(p), healthy, lowering, leaden
"a sound thrashing"
appear in a certain way
"This sounds interesting"
make a certain noise or sound
"She went `Mmmmm'"; "The gun went `bang'"
drop dead, pop off, operate, belong, buy the farm, give-up the ghost, work, choke, go away, get, rifle, cash in one's chips, get going, kick the bucket, run, blend, function, lead, endure, live, pass away, perish, run short, survive, croak, plump, move, extend, conk, fit, vocalise, blend in, become, run low, conk out, locomote, break, proceed, last, decease, give out, go, depart, vocalize, give way, hold up, snuff it, pass, hold out, start, fail, expire, die, travel, break down, exit, fathom, live on, voice, go bad
give off a certain sound or sounds
"This record sounds scratchy"
announce by means of a sound
"sound the alarm"
voice, sound, vocalize, vocalise(verb)
utter with vibrating vocal chords
cause to sound
"sound the bell"; "sound a certain note"
measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Sound is the sensation produced through the organs of hearing or the physical cause of this sensation. Sound is the most comprehensive word of this group, applying to anything that is audible. Tone is sound considered as having some musical quality or as expressive of some feeling; noise is sound considered without reference to musical quality or as distinctly unmusical or discordant. Thus, in the most general sense noise and sound scarcely differ, and we say almost indifferently, "I heard a sound," or "I heard a noise." We speak of a fine, musical, or pleasing sound, but never thus of a noise. In music, tone may denote either a musical sound or the interval between two such sounds, but in the most careful usage the latter is now distinguished as the "interval," leaving tone to stand only for the sound. Note in music strictly denotes the character representing a sound, but in loose popular usage it denotes the sound also, and becomes practically equivalent to tone. Aside from its musical use, tone is chiefly applied to that quality of the human voice by which feeling is expressed; as, he spoke in a cheery tone; the word is similarly applied to the voices of birds and other animals, and sometimes to inanimate objects. As used of a musical instrument, tone denotes the general quality of its sounds collectively considered.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
entire, unbroken, whole, perfect, unhurt, well-grounded, uninjured, unimpaired, healthy, firm, strong, vigorous, weighty, solid, irrefragable, irrefutable, thorough, valid, wholesome, correct, substantial
Dictionary of English Synonymes
air-bladder (of a fish)
appear by the sound
cause to sound
celebrate (by sounds)
List of paraphrases:
audio, rational, healthy, solid, good, noise, robust, strong, salim, acoustic, sensible, audible, proper, sounds, beep, selim, sonar, reasonable, reliable, acoustics, valid, øresund, able-bodied, sund, sonora, strait, correct, wise, voice, firm, seem, judicious, stable, aural, solids, sons, wholesome
Translations for sound
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- སྒྲTibetan Standard
- so, sonar, sòlid, saCatalan, Valencian
- zvuk, rozeznít, rozezvučet, znít, vyslovovat, solidní, zdravýCzech
- swnio, sŵn, swntWelsh
- lyd, lyde, lade, udtale, rask, lodde, sondere, prøve, sund, fornuftig, sikker, sonde, dykke, pejle, pålidelig, solidDanish
- Klang, Schall, erklingen, Laut, klingen, Sund, Sonde, sondieren, gesundGerman
- ήχος, στηθοσκόπιο, βολιδοσκοπώ, πορθμός, ακροώμαιGreek
- sono, soniEsperanto
- son, sonar, sonido, seno, sondear, sano, estrecho, sondaSpanish
- soinu, hots, soundBasque
- صدا, آواز, صدا دادن, تندرستPersian
- soida, [[päästää]] [[ääni]], kajahtaa, perustua, soittaa, ääni, äännähtää, törähtää, kuulostaa, ääntää, lausua, sondi, sukeltaa, kokeilla, sondeerata, luodata, kondiksessa, lahti, koetin, hyväkuntoinen, vuono, terve, tutkia, testata, koestaaFinnish
- ljóð, sundFaroese
- de, prononcer, sonner, son, exprimer, sain, sonder, sauf, complet, tester, solide, sonde, sûrFrench
- lûdWestern Frisian
- fuaim, sunda, bealach, caolas, béalIrish
- fuaimScottish Gaelic
- קוֹל, השמיע קול, יציב, בריאHebrew
- आवाज़, ध्वनीHindi
- hang, hangzás, sértetlen, egészséges, hibátlan, épHungarian
- հնչյուն, ձայնArmenian
- hljóða, hljóð, hljóma, sundIcelandic
- suonare, suono, insenatura, sanoItalian
- 音声, 関係する, 鳴らす, 音, 響き, 鳴る, 探子, 堅固な, 健全なる, 調べる, 探る, 健全な, 健康的な, 入り江, 潜るJapanese
- ಸ್ವಸ್ಥ, ಶಬ್ದKannada
- 音, 소리, 음Korean
- дабыш, добуш, тыбышKyrgyz
- sonō, sonus, sonitusLatin
- nganga, toiora, tāwēwē, auMāori
- глас, звук, звучи, озвучува, јак, силен, здрав, цврст, драга, сонда, сондираMacedonian
- ध्वनी, आवाजMarathi
- geluid, klinken, klank, geluid maken, toon voortbrengen, degelijkDutch
- ljod, lydNorwegian Nynorsk
- lyd, frisk, sunn, grei, sund, stødigNorwegian
- dźwięk, cieśninaPolish
- som, soar, profundo, enseada, sonda, sólido, sã, seguro, completo, sãoPortuguese
- sondar, sunar, sun, tunRomansh
- suna, sunet, robust, sigur, zdravăn, nevătămat, solid, intact, teafăr, sănătos, completRomanian
- звук, звучать, прозвучать, канал, хорошо, надёжный, крепкий, здоровый, пролив, прочныйRussian
- स्वर, शब्द, नाद, ध्वन्Sanskrit
- sonai, sonareSardinian
- zvuk, звукSerbo-Croatian
- සද්දෙSinhala, Sinhalese
- zvuk, prielivSlovak
- zvok, zveneti, zazvenetiSlovene
- ljud, låta, ljuda, sund, kry, friskSwedish
- సవ్వడి, శబ్దం, ధ్వనించు, మోగు, ధ్వని, మోగించుTelugu
- овоз, садоTajik
- ses, sağlıklı, iyiTurkish
- âm thanh, 音聲, âm, 音Vietnamese
- ton, saunikVolapük
Get even more translations for sound »
Find a translation for the sound synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)