wonder, wonderment, admiration(noun)
the feeling aroused by something strange and surprising
something that causes feelings of wonder
"the wonders of modern science"
a state in which you want to learn more about something
wonder, inquire, enquire(verb)
have a wish or desire to know something
"He wondered who had built this beautiful church"
place in doubt or express doubtful speculation
"I wonder whether this was the right thing to do"; "she wondered whether it would snow tonight"
be amazed at
"We marvelled at the child's linguistic abilities"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
In the old sense of wonder, admire is practically obsolete; the word now expresses a delight and approval, in which the element of wonder unconsciously mingles. We admire beauty in nature and art, delight in the innocent happiness of children, enjoy books or society, a walk or a dinner. We approve what is excellent, applaud heroic deeds, esteem the good, love our friends. We honor and respect noble character wherever found; we revere and venerate it in the aged. We extol the goodness and adore the majesty and power of God.
Admire at may still very rarely be found in the old sense of wonder at.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
to think about.
i wondered what was on her mind.Submitted by JP03 on April 12, 2015
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use wonder in a sentence?
No wonder that Mexico suffers high levels of paramilitary violence that in many cases constitute acts of terrorism, such as the latest Sinaloa Cartels paramilitary takeover of Sinaloas capital (Culiacan).
The movie will be successful if both those who have been fans of the material appreciate it, have fun with this, walk out and talk about it, but also those who have never seen a Batman movie, a Superman movie, a Wonder Woman TV show, they decide to come take a look and they are also won over and moved by it.
Can you imagine? More than 60 years! i wonder how she never felt bad once the fetus died inside of her.
How does one kill fear, I wonder? How do you shoot a specter through the heart, slash off its spectral head, take it by its spectral throat?
I cannot help but wonder on what basis the non-grower directors, in particular, have satisfied themselves that the Boards' position is in the best interests of growers.
Translations for wonder
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- цуд, здзіўляцца, цікавіцца, дзіваBelarusian
- чудо, питам сеBulgarian
- meravella, estorat, preguntar-se, sorprendre'sCatalan, Valencian
- zázrak, podivení, podivovat se, uvažovat, divCzech
- дивъ, чоудоOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- vidunder, vidunder-, under, fundere, mirakel, spekulere, tænkeDanish
- Wunder, sich fragen, MirakelGerman
- απορία, θαύμα, αναρωτιέμαι, απορώ, θαυμάζω, [[μένω]] [[έκθαμβος]], ταλέντο, αστέριGreek
- mirindaĵo, talentoEsperanto
- genio, preguntarse, ponderar, maravilla, sorprenderse, maravillarse, pensamientoSpanish
- شگفتی, شگفتیدن, تعجبPersian
- ihmetellä, ihme, ihmettelyFinnish
- merveille, se demanderFrench
- wûnderWestern Frisian
- ionadh, iontasIrish
- mìorbhailScottish Gaelic
- פֶּלֶא, תההHebrew
- undur, undra, snillingurIcelandic
- meraviglia, domandarsi, chiedersiItalian
- 驚異, 驚嘆Japanese
- អច្ឆរិយវត្ថុ, ឆ្ងល់Khmer
- 놀라움, 경이Korean
- congitatio, miraculum, dubito, mirabilis, congitioLatin
- се прашува, чудоMacedonian
- wonder, zich afvragenDutch
- cud, dziwPolish
- maravilha, perguntar-se, pensamento, ponderarPortuguese
- mira, minune, mirareRomanian
- удивляться, чудо, интерес, диво, интересоваться, спрашиватьRussian
- pitati, чудо, čudo, čuditiSerbo-Croatian
- div, zázrakSlovak
- tuhtanje, čudež, tuhtatiSlovene
- mirakel, under, undraSwedish
- şaşkınlık, harikaTurkish
- диво, цікавитися, чудо, дивуватисяUkrainian
Get even more translations for wonder »
Find a translation for the wonder synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)