English Synonyms and Antonyms
A sign (Latin signum) is any distinctive mark by which a thing may be recognized or its presence known, and may be intentional or accidental, natural or artificial, suggestive, descriptive, or wholly arbitrary; thus, a blush may be a sign of shame; the footprint of an animal is a sign that it has passed; the sign of a business house now usually declares what is done or kept within, but formerly might be an object having no connection with the business, as "the sign of the trout;" the letters of the alphabet are signs of certain sounds. While a sign may be involuntary, and even unconscious, a signal is always voluntary, and is usually concerted; a ship may show signs of distress to the casual observer, but signals of distress are a distinct appeal for aid. A symptom is a vital phenomenon resulting from a diseased condition; in medical language a sign is an indication of any physical condition, whether morbid or healthy; thus, a hot skin and rapid pulse are symptoms of pneumonia; dulness of some portion of the lungs under percussion is one of the physical signs. Compare AUGUR; CHARACTERISTIC; EMBLEM.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
a perceptible indication of something not immediately apparent (as a visible clue that something has happened)
"he showed signs of strain"; "they welcomed the signs of spring"
marking, signaling, augury, mark, sucker, house, bell ringer, target, crisscross, preindication, polarity, fall guy, star sign, stigma, score, mansion, brand, grade, planetary house, chump, signal, sign of the zodiac, mug, signboard, foretoken, scratch, home run, gull, patsy, fool, marker, scrape, cross, print, scar, stain, bull's eye, soft touch
a public display of a message
"he posted signs in all the shop windows"
signal, signaling, signnoun
any nonverbal action or gesture that encodes a message
"signals from the boat suddenly stopped"
structure displaying a board on which advertisements can be posted
"the highway was lined with signboards"
sign of the zodiac, star sign, sign, mansion, house, planetary housenoun
(astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided
business firm, signboard, mansion, planetary house, theatre, signaling, mark, menage, hall, polarity, home, foretoken, sign of the zodiac, mansion house, family, theater, star sign, preindication, manse, residence, firm, augury, signal, house, household
(medicine) any objective evidence of the presence of a disorder or disease
"there were no signs of asphyxiation"
having an indicated pole (as the distinction between positive and negative electric charges)
"he got the polarity of the battery reversed"; "charges of opposite sign"
augury, sign, foretoken, preindicationnoun
an event that is experienced as indicating important things to come
"he hoped it was an augury"; "it was a sign from God"
a gesture that is part of a sign language
a fundamental linguistic unit linking a signifier to that which is signified
"The bond between the signifier and the signified is arbitrary"--de Saussure
a character indicating a relation between quantities
"don't forget the minus sign"
gestural, sign(a), signed, sign-language(a)verb
used of the language of the deaf
mark with one's signature; write one's name (on)
"She signed the letter and sent it off"; "Please sign here"
approve and express assent, responsibility, or obligation
"All parties ratified the peace treaty"; "Have you signed your contract yet?"
be engaged by a written agreement
"He signed to play the casino on Dec. 18"; "The soprano signed to sing the new opera"
sign, contract, sign on, sign upverb
engage by written agreement
"They signed two new pitchers for the next season"
shorten, condense, concentrate, sign up, abbreviate, constrict, narrow, press, reduce, take, undertake, bless, signalize, cut, subscribe, squeeze, get, compress, contract, sign on, foreshorten, ratify, abridge, signalise, signal, shrink, compact
sign, signal, signalize, signaliseverb
communicate silently and non-verbally by signals or signs
"He signed his disapproval with a dismissive hand gesture"; "The diner signaled the waiters to bring the menu"
place signs, as along a road
"sign an intersection"; "This road has been signed"
communicate in sign language
"I don't know how to sign, so I could not communicate with my deaf cousin"
make the sign of the cross over someone in order to call on God for protection; consecrate
a readerboard is a sign that displays a written message. it can be digital or just be made up of plastic letters that can be changed to read out a customizable message. you would generally see them in front of restaurants, banks, and schools.
what is written on that readerboard? what is written on that messageboard?Submitted by rinat on August 26, 2019
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
omen, auspice, portent, prodigy, prognostic, augury, foretoken, presage, mark, token, indication, symptom, index, emblem, symbol, trace, vestige, ensign, signal, beacon, gesture, motion, signature
Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use sign in a sentence?
A flood can come at anytime without warning. A lightning can strike without a caution. An earthquake can shake mountains and divide the lands without a sign. Only faith is stable, if and when you have it.
Who has not hopedTo outrage an enemy's dignityWho has not been sweptBy the wish to hurtAnd who has not thought that the impersonal worldDeserves no better than to be destroyedBy one fabulous sign of his displeasure
Every time with these two drafts the government at the end gave instructions to the negotiators not to sign.
The bandwagon trade just two months ago was that we will hit $ 60, but now $ 35 is looking like more of a reality, we're in a vicious cycle, with no sign of this glut in oil products disappearing anytime soon, while any cutback by refiners is backing up crude into the system. This tells me the rally is over.
Wow! all of our priorities have made it into the final NDAA: Pay Raise for our Troops, Rebuilding our Military, Paid Parental Leave, Border Security, and Space Force! Congress – don't delay this anymore! I will sign this historic defense legislation immediately!
Translations for sign
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- اشارة, وقعArabic
- senyalCatalan, Valencian
- znamení, znaménko, pokyn, značka, cedule, znak, podepsatCzech
- argoel, arwyddWelsh
- Zeichen, Gebärde, Zeichensprache, Verkehrszeichen, Tierkreiszeichen, Schild, Vorzeichen, Sonderzeichen, Anzeichen, Sternzeichen, Verkehrsschild, Gebärdensprache, unterzeichnen, gebärden, unterschreiben, unterschriften, signierenGerman
- σήμα, σημάδι, οιωνός, πρόσημο, σύμβολο, ζώδιο, υπογράφωGreek
- signo, gesto, trafiksigno, gestlingvo, subskribiEsperanto
- señal, presagio, lengua de señas, placa, signo del zodiaco, símbolo, muestra, signo, letrero, aviso, seña, señalización, lengua de signos, firmar, signar, hablar a señasSpanish
- merkki, viittoma, ele, liikennemerkki, enne, kyltti, kilpi, ennusmerkki, osoitus, viittomakieli, allekirjoittaa, viittoa, rekrytoidaFinnish
- panneau de signalisation, signe, symbole, présage, langue des signes, marqueur, faire signer, signerFrench
- fógra, teanga chomharthaíochtaIrish
- סימן, סמל, אות, מזל, שלטHebrew
- jel, aláír, jelelHungarian
- undirrita, skrifa undirIcelandic
- indicazione, simbolo, segnale, segno, gesto, cartello, insegna, firmareItalian
- 符号, 印, サイン, 兆候, 記号, 道路標識, 手話, 合図, 兆し, 看板, 星座, サインする, 署名する, 署名Japanese
- 신호, 서명하다Korean
- نیشانه, nîşanKurdish
- SchëldLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- знак, предзнак, ишарет, потпишуваMacedonian
- tanda, isyaratMalay
- tegn, skilt, stjernetegn, fortegn, tegnspråk, skrive under, signereNorwegian
- verkeersbord, bord, voorteken, gebaar, teken, speciaal teken, gebarentaal, markering, ondertekenenDutch
- stjerneteikn, teikn, skilt, forteikn, teiknspråk, skrive under, signereNorwegian Nynorsk
- senh, senhagolOccitan
- znak drogowyPolish
- língua de sinais, sinais, sinal, símbolo, agouro, placa, signo, presságio, gesto, gesticular, assinar, gestualizar, firmarPortuguese
- ensaina, segnRomansh
- semn, semnaRomanian
- знак, примета, вывеска, подписыватья, подписываться, подписаться, подписатьRussian
- tecken, skylt, järtecken, stjärntecken, trafikskylt, omen, skriva under, skriva på, signeraSwedish
- శకునం, రాశి, సూచన, గుర్తుTelugu
Get even more translations for sign »
Find a translation for the sign synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)