an irrecoverable state of devastation and destruction
"you have brought ruin on this entire family"
a ruined building
"they explored several Roman ruins"
the process of becoming dilapidated
an event that results in destruction
downfall, ruin, ruination(noun)
failure that results in a loss of position or reputation
laying waste, ruin, ruining, ruination, wrecking(verb)
destruction achieved by causing something to be wrecked or ruined
destroy completely; damage irreparably
"You have ruined my car by pouring sugar in the tank!"; "The tears ruined her make-up"
destroy or cause to fail
"This behavior will ruin your chances of winning the election"
bankrupt, ruin, break, smash(verb)
reduce to bankruptcy
"My daughter's fancy wedding is going to break me!"; "The slump in the financial markets smashed him"
crack, break away, give way, soften, reveal, develop, unwrap, conk out, part, collapse, die, smash up, transgress, founder, weaken, dash, discover, bang up, snap off, stop, go, demote, break out, separate, split, give away, destroy, damp, smash, deflower, offend, get out, fracture, relegate, bring out, violate, divulge, pause, let on, get around, interrupt, wear out, cave in, break-dance, crush, break up, check, give out, break in, give, split up, better, burst, go bad, boom, breach, break off, disclose, bust, erupt, recrudesce, break dance, go against, dampen, fall in, bump, let out, fall apart, kick downstairs, blast, nail, break down, infract, fail, come apart, bankrupt, expose, break, demolish, discontinue, intermit, wear
reduce to ruins
"The country lay ruined after the war"
deprive of virginity
"This dirty old man deflowered several young girls in the village"
fall into ruin
to cause the ruin of.
To destroy or make something no longer be able to be for good use.
He ruined his new white slacks by accidentally spilling oil on them.
To mess up the plans or progress of, or to put into disarray; to spoil.
My car breaking down just as I was on the road ruined my vacation.
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Abuse covers all unreasonable or improper use or treatment by word or act. A tenant does not abuse rented property by "reasonable wear," though that may damage the property and injure its sale; he may abuse it by needless defacement or neglect. It is possible to abuse a man without harming him, as when the criminal vituperates the judge; or to harm a man without abusing him, as when the witness tells the truth about the criminal. Defame, malign, rail at, revile, slander, vilify, and vituperate are used always in a bad sense. One may be justly reproached. To impose on or to victimize one is to injure him by abusing his confidence. To persecute one is to ill-treat him for opinion's sake, commonly for religious belief; to oppress is generally for political or pecuniary motives. "Thou shalt not oppress an hired servant that is poor and needy," Deut. xxiv, 14. Misemploy, misuse, and pervert are commonly applied to objects rather than to persons. A dissolute youth misemploys his time, misuses his money and opportunities, harms his associates, perverts his talents, wrongs his parents, ruins himself, abuses every good gift of God.
abuse, aggrieve, damage, defame, defile, disparage, harm, ill-treat, ill-use, impose on, impose upon, injure, malign, maltreat, misemploy, misuse, molest, oppress, persecute, pervert, prostitute, rail at, ravish, reproach, revile, slander, victimize, vilify, violate, vituperate, wrong
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use ruin in a sentence?
It was very, very difficult to overcome that match, i was really disappointed. I am disappointed now. People expected things from me. I didn't deliver. When you just ruin everything by yourself, it's devastating.
Last year, Martin County threatened to ruin our dream of owning and running a restaurant on our own piece of property, five hundred dollars a day would put me out of business in a week.
1. Never compare your life with someone else's life. For, you have no idea what he or she does secretly i.e. behind your back. 2. Don't have negative thoughts over things that you can't control. And refuse to bear grudges against anyone right here or out there. In otherwords, forgive all things and everyone. 3. Never over do anything, have a limit and keep to it. 4. Don't take yourself and life so seriously. For, you ought not to do that. I mean, disregard/overlook somethings sometimes. 5. Never waste your precious energy/time on gossip or habits like that. Rather, utilize/maximize your God-given energy and time. 6. Dream big, be a visionary and dare to pursue your dream and vision unyieldinly until you realize them. 7. Listen up, envy is a waste of time. Yes! you already have all you need presently to survive. Any other thing which you think that you need to live comfortably will be given unto you by God in due course i.e. at the right and proper time. 8. Emancipate yourself from the issues of the past. I mean, stop living in your past life and mistakes . For, living in your past is most likely to ruin your present happiness and future success. 9. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. So, don't hate anyone. Do love all and sundry as much as you can. 10. Strive to live in peace with everyone. For, peace is better off than war or conflict. 11. In case you don't know, no one else is responsible for your happiness except your own self. Yes! you heard me right. So, always be happy and never sad. 12. You've got to realize that life is a school and you are meant to learn daily. Moreover, challenges are simply part of life. They do appear just for awhile and then fade away like flowers. Thus, never mind your challenges. 13. Always smile, laugh and share all you have with someone else/others. Beause, you've got to be doing that. Never forget, givers never lack. 14. Conclusively, dare to believe in God almighty and do believe he can do all things. Besides, believe in your own self i.e. be self confident. For, it is expected of you. That's just a piece of advice and words of encouragement for you.
The glory of saving a country is not for him who has contributed to its ruin. (El Filibusterismo)
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth more than ruin more even than death. Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.
Translations for ruin
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- خراب, دمرArabic
- ruïnaCatalan, Valencian
- zřícenina, zruinovat, ruinaCzech
- ruin, ødelægDanish
- Ruin, verderben, zerstören, kaputtmachen, vernichten, ruinieren, auf die Knie zwingen, RuineGerman
- ερείπιο, καταστρέφωGreek
- arruinar, ruina, ruinar, desbaratarSpanish
- tärvellä, raunio, raunioittaa, turmio, pilata, rappio, tuhotaFinnish
- gâcher, ruiner, ruine, abîmer, plomber, foutre en l'air, massacrerFrench
- RuïneWestern Frisian
- creach, tobhtaScottish Gaelic
- הרס, דפק, פישלHebrew
- विनाश, नाशHindi
- romba dönt, lerombol, roncs, omladék, rom, tönkreteszHungarian
- rovina, rovinareItalian
- 破綻, 崩壊, 潰す, 遺跡, 破壊, 打ち壊す, 廃墟, めちゃめちゃ, 破産, 滅ぼす, 潰滅Japanese
- verval, bouwval, puin, puinhoop, ruïne, ruïnerenDutch
- kitsʼiilíNavajo, Navaho
- roïna, arroïnarOccitan
- arruinar, ruína, acabar com, destruirPortuguese
- ruegna, ruina, ruignaRomansh
- ruină, stricaRomanian
- крах, гибель, портить, в развалинах, разрушать, разорение, развалина, разрушить, в руинах, крушение, руина, испортитьRussian
- orroghina, roghina, arruinuSardinian
- podorina, ruševina, razvala, provalina, razval, упропастити, razvalina, podorSerbo-Croatian
- ruin, ödelägga, ruineraSwedish
- hư hạiVietnamese
Get even more translations for ruin »
Find a translation for the ruin synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)