the experiencing of affective and emotional states
"she had a feeling of euphoria"; "he had terrible feelings of guilt"; "I disliked him and the feeling was mutual"
impression, feeling, belief, notion, opinion(noun)
a vague idea in which some confidence is placed
"his impression of her was favorable"; "what are your feelings about the crisis?"; "it strengthened my belief in his sincerity"; "I had a feeling that she was lying"
persuasion, touch, public opinion, flavour, stamp, mental picture, imprint, smell, ruling, view, legal opinion, flavor, tactile sensation, whim, impression, touch sensation, thought, printing, effect, picture, opinion, belief, sentiment, spirit, tactual sensation, tone, popular opinion, whimsy, feel, judgment, judgement, depression, notion, whimsey, vox populi, intuitive feeling, look
spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell(noun)
the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
"the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
looking at, pure tone, touch, tactile property, life, timber, look, olfactory perception, timbre, sprightliness, step, tone of voice, smell, olfactory property, aspect, disembodied spirit, savor, feel, quality, tactile sensation, whole tone, impression, touch sensation, scent, aroma, savour, opinion, belief, olfactory sensation, sense of smell, facial expression, odour, shade, spirit, emotional state, tonicity, tone, sapidity, whole step, olfaction, flavour, heart, smack, tang, olfactory modality, odor, tonus, tincture, intent, tactual sensation, expression, notion, intuitive feeling, purport, relish, looking, flavor, face, musical note, liveliness, smelling, tint, note
a physical sensation that you experience
"he had a queasy feeling"; "I had a strange feeling in my leg"; "he lost all feeling in his arm"
touch, touch sensation, tactual sensation, tactile sensation, feeling(noun)
the sensation produced by pressure receptors in the skin
"she likes the touch of silk on her skin"; "the surface had a greasy feeling"
hint, touch, tactility, signature, mite, skin senses, ghost, flavour, spot, jot, sense of touch, cutaneous senses, touch modality, trace, tactile sensation, tinge, skin perceptiveness, soupcon, impression, touch sensation, speck, touching, opinion, belief, spirit, tactual sensation, tone, feel, smell, pinch, notion, contact, intuitive feeling, touch perception, flavor, look
feeling, intuitive feeling(noun)
an intuitive understanding of something
"he had a great feeling for music"
English Synonyms and Antonyms
Sensation is the mind's consciousness due to a bodily affection, as of heat or cold; perception is the cognition of some external object which is the cause or occasion of the sensation; the sensation of heat may be connected with the perception of a fire. While sensations are connected with the body, emotions, as joy, grief, etc., are wholly of the mind. "As the most of them [the sensations] are positively agreeable or the opposite, they are nearly akin to those emotions, as hope or terror, or those passions, as anger and envy, which are acknowledged by all to belong exclusively to the spirit, and to involve no relation whatever to matter or the bodily organism. Such feelings are not infrequently styled sensations, though improperly."
PorterHuman Intellect § 112, p. 128. [ Chas. Scribner's Sons'90.] Feeling is a general term popularly denoting what is felt, whether through the body or by the mind alone, and includes both sensation and emotion. A sense is an organ or faculty of sensation or of perception.
Complete Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms
Dictionary of English Synonymes
sense of touch
Synonyms, Antonyms & Associated Words
Words popularity by usage frequency
How to use feeling in a sentence?
Time won’t stop and life won’t stand still. But I have a feeling that if I just look backward once in a while at Dorothy, if I am off beat in any way, I’ll get back on the soundtrack again. . . .
It does point to issues that we need to look at in the design of these things, because it comes back to my fundamental point about holding illiquid assets in open end funds that revalue and are required to be revalued, my own feeling is... that we will need to come back and look at those.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
It is a nice feeling to bring your own tree from the forest.
It's the biggest game of our generation, i'm feeling excited. Really happy about today's game.
Translations for feeling
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- emosies, emosie, gevoelens, voorgevoel, sensasie, intuïsie, gevoel, gevoelig, sensitiefAfrikaans
- усещане, осезание, чувство, чувства, емоцияBulgarian
- city, pocit, citCzech
- teimlad, teimladau, greddfWelsh
- Emotion, Gefühl, Gefühle, gefühlvoll, einfühlsamGerman
- emocioj, emocio, sentoj, sentemeco, opinio, natura talento, amsento, sento, impreso, sentemaEsperanto
- emoción, intuición, sentimientos, presentimiento, corazonada, sensación, sentimiento, sentimentalSpanish
- tunne, meeleoluEstonian
- احساس, حسPersian
- tunne, tuntemus, tunteellinenFinnish
- intuition, émotion, sentiments, sentiment, impression, sensation, sentimentalFrench
- faireachdainnScottish Gaelic
- הרגשה, רגשות, רגש, רגישה, רגישHebrew
- भावना, जज़्बात, एहसासHindi
- santimanHaitian Creole
- intuíció, érzés, megérzés, érzelem, érzelmek, érzékelés, érzések, együttérző, érzőHungarian
- զգացմունք, զգացումArmenian
- tilfinningar, tilfinningIcelandic
- sensazioni, senso, emozione, emozioni, urtare la suscettibiltà, sentimento, ferire i sentimenti, tatto, intuito, sensazioneItalian
- 恋, 気, 感覚, 感情, 直感, 敏感Japanese
- ههست, هۆشهKurdish
- Gefiller, Gefill, Intuitioun, EmotiounLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- jausmas, emocija, jutimas, pojūtisLithuanian
- emocija, jūtas, sajūtaLatvian
- perasaan, hatiMalay
- følelser, følelseNorwegian
- gevoelens, gevoel, emotie, voorgevoel, gevoeligDutch
- følelsar, følelseNorwegian Nynorsk
- uczucie, uczuciaPolish
- pressentimento, sensação, sentimentos, idéia, impressão, intuição, emoção, sensível, emotivo, sentimentalPortuguese
- sentiment, sentimente, sentimentalRomanian
- чувство, эмоция, симпатия, гордость, самолюбие, ощущение, предчувствие, чувствительныйRussian
- ocjeћaj, osjećaj, osecaj, осећајSerbo-Croatian
- känslor, sensation, känsla, känsligt, känsligSwedish
- అంతర్వాణి, అనుభూతి, భావంTelugu
- duygu, hissetme, his, hassas, duyarlı, duygusalTurkish
- rờ móVietnamese
Get even more translations for feeling »
Find a translation for the feeling synonym in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)